No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played through nearly all of Hokuto no Ken - Seikimatsu Kyūseishu Densetsu​ on the PS1 this week. WOW. This game looks fantastic. The pixel art textures are amazing and the cutscenes are massive and lavishly animated. The game is a pretty simple arena brawler that tells the story up to the end of Hokuto no Ken part 1 (the defeat of Raoh (at least I think so, not got quite to tne end yet)). The game is relatively easy and easy to play without understanding Japanese.

If you are playing on original hardware the save points are wickedly far apart, oftenr equiring an hour of play between them. This is compounded by quite long unskippable cutscenes. They are all real time rather than FMV, long and all in Japanese. So if you need to quit playing without hitting a save point, you have to sit through a lot to get back to where you were.

If you are a Hokuto no Ken liker or a PS1 graphics liker, I can highly recommend this. Might be better to use save states in an emulator though. I think it's one of the best looking PS1 games I've seen.

The video that turned me on to it a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
      Played through nearly all of Hokuto no Ken - Seikimatsu Kyūseishu Densetsu​ on the PS1 this week. WOW. This game looks fantastic. The pixel art textures are amazing and the cutscenes are massive and lavishly animated. The game is a pretty simple arena brawler that tells the story up to the end of Hokuto no Ken part 1 (the defeat of Raoh (at least I think so, not got quite to tne end yet)). The game is relatively easy and easy to play without understanding Japanese.

If you are playing on original hardware the save points are wickedly far apart, oftenr equiring an hour of play between them. This is compounded by quite long unskippable cutscenes. They are all real time rather than FMV, long and all in Japanese. So if you need to quit playing without hitting a save point, you have to sit through a lot to get back to where you were.

If you are a Hokuto no Ken liker or a PS1 graphics liker, I can highly recommend this. Might be better to use save states in an emulator though. I think it's one of the best looking PS1 games I've seen.

The video that turned me on to it a while ago.

I'm on a massive FOTNS kick right now and that looks legit impressive. An emulator does sound like the best way to experience it though, thanks.

I'm a few hours into System Shock 2. Its pretty clunky in the UI department, asking you to press the tab key to access menus that really should have been toggleable via keys like I for inventory and C for character stats.

Still, its been pretty good so far and very atmospheric. The music is excellent.

Comment

I've been testing my Brook Wingman SD extensively on my Saturns and Dreamcasts. It's a great bit of kit, I can't really fault it. The only minor gripe is some Capcom fighting games on the Saturn I played won't let you configure the LT/RT buttons as regular attacks.

I've played all sorts across the consoles but I've spent the most time by far on Twinkle Star Sprites on the Saturn. I love that game so much.

I got that HnK game in my latest shipment from Japan (I'm also a massive FOTNS fan), it's on my list of games to play. How easy is it without language translation?

Comment

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
          I've been testing my Brook Wingman SD extensively on my Saturns and Dreamcasts. It's a great bit of kit, I can't really fault it. The only minor gripe is some Capcom fighting games on the Saturn I played won't let you configure the LT/RT buttons as regular attacks.
          Didn't know about these until I read this, just bought one so looking to try it out with my old 360 HRAP EX-SE and PS3 SF4 Fight Stick. Were you using the latest firmware and still hitting issues with remapping to the stick?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan_ingram View Post
            Didn't know about these until I read this, just bought one so looking to try it out with my old 360 HRAP EX-SE and PS3 SF4 Fight Stick. Were you using the latest firmware and still hitting issues with remapping to the stick?
            Nice, it’s bloody brilliant. The issues are in game. Seems the buttons the triggers are mapped to can only be set to special settings like Punch x3 rather than regular attacks in some Capcom fighters.

Comment

Nice, it’s bloody brilliant. The issues are in game. Seems the buttons the triggers are mapped to can only be set to special settings like Punch x3 rather than regular attacks in some Capcom fighters.
              Looking at the Brook site it seems there's a way to remap the buttons on the adapter, have you tried this?

EDIT : Here's where they show it working with the problematic Capcom fighters 4:30 in

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DGPAgmqCoL4c&ved=2ahUKEwj-hr-b-p3vAhWEQEEAHTJ4ADAQ28sGMAJ6BAgNEBc&usg=AOvVaw3mtBE mA5zDmH3Br8PuStdn&cshid=1615112769637
              Last edited by jonathan_ingram; 07-03-2021, 10:30.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan_ingram View Post
                Looking at the Brook site it seems there's a way to remap the buttons on the adapter, have you tried this?

EDIT : Here's where they show it working with the problematic Capcom fighters 4:30 in

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1615112769637
                Oh nice one! I’ll give it a go.

Comment

Decided to do a Metroid series playthrough and just started with Metroid Zero Mission. Im playing it on a SP that I modded with an IPS screen and the game still really looks stunning, the colours really pop and the soundtrack is sublime. Really makes me wish Nintendo would do another 2D version of the game to go alongside the 3D prime ones. The remake of Metroid 2 was good but you really cant beat the pixel art in SNES/GBA games.

Comment

started a new play through of metal gear solid the twin snakes a few days ago forgot how awkward the controls were with the gc pad

Comment

The combat in System Shock 2 is so jank, which was a problem with the original game as well I believe. There's also a lot of back tracking which I'm not a fan of. The atmosphere is off the charts though and although the character models have aged, the overall levels look really bloody good. Great music also.

Comment

Oh nice one! I’ll give it a go.
                        Tried mine briefly today, with the latest firmware off the Brook site Select & Circle (Back and B I think on 360) puts the adapter into Saturn Arcade mode, tried it on SFZ2 and it seems to work so you should be able to skip the remapping altogether. Tested mine on a PS3 SF4 TE FightStick.
                        Last edited by jonathan_ingram; 08-03-2021, 18:50.

Comment

Mad Shark!

Don't even bother without autofire!

Comment

Counterpoint:

Comment

Gain Ground on Megadrive, what a game this! Recall so so reviews when it came out and it looked like ass, still does, but gee dad this sure is fun.

Comment

Finished System Shock 2. The jank is too much, I enabled god mode just to get through it in the end. Not a fan of respawning enemies and backtracking. Smaller enemies were a pain to target and just annoying to deal with. The Cyborg Midwife's were the best enemies, really ****ing creepy whenever I explored levels and heard them talk in the near distance.

Shodan is the star of the show of course, the sheer disdain she has for you and The Many (which she created) is just perfect. Hopefully System Shock 3 can do her justice.

Comment

Working...
                                X