(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    It's a very short game which was quite refreshing tbh. I'm not sure what to play next, either Final Fantasy 2 on the Origins collection or RC De Go! I'm on a bit of a PSX kick right now.
    MegaMan Legends was already inside the Playstation so I ended up skipping the above and starting that instead.

First impressions: The controls are as clunky as ever but the game world has it's charm and I'm enjoying it overall. The general aesthetic has always been quite pleasing and characters display an impressive amount of facial animation. I really like the way NPCs are modelled and animated in this game.

I still find myself instinctively going for the analgue sticks in combat though.

Comment

MegaMan Legends beat. Final playtime was 07:34:26 although with deaths/reloads it was probably around 8 hours.

The first form of the final boss was more difficult than it's second form for some reason. It took quite a few reloads to reach that second form but when I did I almost beat him with just 1hp and on my second encounter I wiped the floor with him.

This was also my first time really putting the Brook Super Convertor through its paces which held up like a champ

Comment

Finished original Xbox Halo 2.

Some sections of gameplay I enjoyed a lot but the overriding feeling I had whilst playing was one of mild disappointment it was not entertaining me more than it did.

Comment

MegaMan 2 can get really cheap in parts.

Comment

Beat MegaMan 2, 3, 4 and X over the past week.

2 gets cheap but has great music, 3 is a lagfest and my least favourite entry and 4 has a lame final boss but is otherwise really good. X is decent enough but I prefer the NES games personally.

Getting back into some RPGs I'm 4 hours into Final Fantasy 2 from the Origins collection. It certainly lives up to its reputation as the black sheep of the series so I've been slapping my party members aroud to raise their HP. Money seems hard to come by with single pieces of armour costing 200+ gil and some battles giving out as little as 3. Progress is slow but steady.

Comment

For the past couple of days i have been trying to get to the end of twinbee yahoo on hard it's brutal on the last but one stage the doll boss wrecks me every time. Absolutely amazing game though, totally unlike it's 8 & 16 bit offerings. I absolutely love it.
              Last edited by importaku; 27-03-2019, 13:30.

Comment

Just by chance i found out Sierras fantastic adventure game Shivers had been brought to the GOG store, i have had that game for years but i could never get it to work on modern pcs no matter how hard i tried as i have a 64 bit operating system and there's no way to get it to run on my pc i get errors every time. Finally i can put it all behind me as GOG had a version that seems to be running through scummvm and it plays great. For £3.80 i have been enjoying going back though this creepy game it's been a long time since i got to play it the nostalgia is coming back, as are the jump scares lol.

Comment

I went back to Astro Boy for the GBA - but this time on the big screen. It looks a bit blocky, but wow..... what a stunning game. I hadn't played it for years and it reminded me how much it pushes the GBA with beautiful, colourful graphics and cool effects. Plus it's a really fun game, despite a few annoying parts. Lots of GBA games are soul destroying rubbish, but this game is something truly special.

Comment

R-Type III, Pop n’ Twinbee and Macross Scrambled Valkyrie on the Super Nt.

Thunder Force IV on Mega Sg.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      Macross Scrambled Valkyrie on the Super Nt.
                      I've had that in my collection for ages -- bought it for a cheap price before prices went through the roof. It really shows how great a shoot 'em up on the SNES can be when the developer knows what they're doing. A tough game though, but worth persevering with.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-03-2019, 19:35.

Comment

Finished of Super Mario World and have just begun Front Mission on the SNES. Also had a quick dabble with Super R-Type and Robocop VS Terminator.

Comment

Not a whole lot of time for game playing this week so sticking to Dragon Quest 2 mobile on the bus to and from work and short arcade games like Dragon's Fury and Silpheed.

Comment

Played through the final MegaMan games for the NES which was fun enough.

Also made it to the original location of the first Dragon Quest in Dragon Quest II. It's really cool the way they incorporated the first game's world map into the much larger game world of the sequel.

Comment

Spent a few hours this evening trying to teach my stupid brain how to cope with 9 button mode in pop n music. Mostly played the anime melody version as it has some nice tracks to practise on. it's pointless sticking to just 5 button mode as i'm just going to end up relying on that as a crutch all the time, decided to just go for it try and train my brain on 9 button mode and learn where each button on the controller without looking down but i seem to get so far then some random fast part of a patten comes or multiple button combinations in quick succession and my brain just goes blergh and melts down.

Training mode helps a bit, but until i can press any colour without having to look down to remember where on the controller it is i'm not going to get that far. I have a feeling a full sized arcade controller is easier to memorize where the buttons are as you have more of a gap between them so you don't freak out and mash them all. Will stick at it though as music games are my fave genre.
                              Last edited by importaku; 16-04-2019, 22:46.

Comment

Beat Dragon Quest II on Android. These mobile ports are a really good way to play old RPGs.

The game itself has some devilish dungeons and the final boss will steamroll you if you're not careful; he was quite a handful. The original NES version might be a little too archaic if this port is anything to go by.

It was a fun 13.5 hours though and a game I wanted beat since Dragon Quest Builders 2 uses the same setting

Comment

Working...
                                X