No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a very mixed weeks gaming but as people will guess from my recent purchases i have been hitting the PS1 hard, a mixture of playing originals and ISO trying out on the PS classic i have been going through a lot of shooters & other games.

Managed to 1CC harmful park but that's not exactly a hard feat as i played it on easy but i did like that there is a bonus reward screen if you manage it also enjoy making sure all 4 of my weapons are maxed out at level 4 as some parts are easier when you switch to certain ones. Now onto the next difficulty mode where i'm finding a lot more bullets on the screen but now i know my way through it's just figuring how to counter the tricky spots where you have a inch of safe space in between the bullet clouds.

Sexy parodius is always a joy to play but i always AAAAALWAYS die a lot as i'm so distracted in watching the goings on in the background or what silly stuff the enemy sprites are doing i fly into the floor or hit something lol. Still i really enjoy playing through but i think jikkyo oshaberi is still my fave of the lot.

Ore Tomba, never played a huge amount of this one but i'm trying it before i decide on an original. The graphics are a little jaggy around the edges in parts but it's stupidly charming & the way Tomba controls is a lot of fun the way he dives onto stuff makes me smile. Gotten about an hour or so in so far but it's a really nicely made game.

Kowai shashin is slowly pulling me in as well, some of the cases are pretty creepy helped by the sometimes surreal photographs you have to purify. Really do need to learn the face buttons better on my PS pad lol as the combinations that come up for you to input are lightning fast as the prayers level up in strength you have a few seconds max to keep the combo going before it stops counting and you cast the chant. It reminds me a lot of mitewa ikenai on the DS.

Comment

Bit of a mixed bag really for me over the last month:-
      Atari St - Cadaver
      Dragon 32 - Lunar Rover Patrol
      Arcade - Outzone, Hard Drivin, WEC leman, Frogger, Asteroids Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        i always AAAAALWAYS die a lot as i'm so distracted in watching the goings on in the background or what silly stuff the enemy sprites are doing i fly into the floor or hit something lol.
        That also happens to me.

Originally posted by aticatac View Post
        Outzone
        A nice looking game that plays really well.

Comment

Originally posted by aticatac View Post
          Arcade - Outzone
          Yeeeaaarrh!

Comment

Capcom fun this week:

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              Capcom fun this week:
              The Punisher

Comment

Having a whale of a time playing MS SHINOBI on the Pi. I first played it back in 1992, thought it was decent but a frail incarnation of the arcade and I didn't really go there. That was a bad thing.

The arcade SHINOBI is still one of my coolest games, it's got something classic about it and it's never got old to me and I've been playing it recently thinking "let's give that MS version a second chance".

And its grrrrreat!!! Gfx, sfx, BGM, all inferior but it plays so tight and gives you some chill time with the energy bar.

It's a genius reinterpretation for home console and I'm really appreciating it, now.

Comment

Still slogging through Xbox PoP: Warrior Within

Hugely frustrating game for me. The camera is deeply, deeply annoying and elements of the gameplay deliberately old school to the point of frustration. You get a series of death-trap puzzles, pursuits or unavoidable fights which you are meant to fail first, second and third time through at the very least; you have to learn it by rote, do it perfectly the next time but only to find there are two more sequences like that in quick succession.

There are some random checkpoints (lost if you quit) but most of the time when you fail you're sent back to the last save point and have to repeat it again and again and.........again until you get the whole thing right. That forced repetition, the combat and RE3 Nemesis like boss pursuits in particular, stops being an entertaining challenge and simply sucks the fun out of the game.

When you go back to some of these areas, as you can do, and concentrate on the platforming and general navigation through the level without many of the enemies respawning or even appearing at all it suddenly becomes almost great. There are plenty of clever level design ideas on display and optional additional areas or routes to find/explore which provide ample challenge.

Comment

In between the massive load of games in the modern section been hitting up the retro stuff too mainly all ds & ps1.

Harmful park, now playing through on hard mode and it's kicking my ass it's nothing like it's easy & normal levels at all. Starting to spot more changes this time things that were not there in lower difficulty considering how many bullets there are on hard i dread to think what very hard has in store for me lol.

Jikkyo oshaberi parodius, managed to get through to the end of this on just a few credits i'm super rusty i know i can ramp down the difficulty and max the lives but i don't want to. I do like that you can save at any time and restore your game not far from where you left off with all your weapons in tact but your score gone. Handy if you need to go do something but want to continue later but if you are score chasing not as useful obvs. Need to find all of those fairys to unlock those extra chars so far only found about 30 of the buggers so far.

Akumajo dracula ubawareta kokuin, actually enjoying this one the glyph system is addictive i find myself grinding the monsters waiting for them to drop to add to the collection. The bosses are also fun to fight but currently stuck on that bloody crab seems theres a cheap trick to take advange depending on what glyph combo you have installed. Found one with the skeleton boss that made him a piece of cake. Looking forward to playing the other 2 when i'm done.

Dragon quest IX, started to continue with this one as i left the grotto hunting mostly untouched. I love that every weapon and item when equipped appears on your character which makes hunting down the mats to make said equipment a rewarding pastime. Sadly with the nintendo WFC dead there's no normal way to get the grotto maps into your game but there is a way via hacking which has been a lot of fun as i'm getting to play through so many the bosses and monsters in these mini dungeons are wildly varied depending on the map you get. Some great rare loot coming from them too. Would love to see this one remade on ps4.
                    Last edited by importaku; 23-12-2019, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      Dragon quest IX
                      Great choice! There are so many fantastic RPGs for the DS, one could spend years of their life just playing through them all. I highly recommend SMT: Strange Journey and the English translation of Ni No Kuni as next points of call!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Great choice! There are so many fantastic RPGs for the DS, one could spend years of their life just playing through them all. I highly recommend SMT: Strange Journey and the English translation of Ni No Kuni as next points of call!
                        Not yet played the shin megami tensei series on DS but they are on the list to obtain, Ninokuni is a good choice i have already rinsed that one in japanese but i have the english patch downloaded it would be fun to play through again & see how they tackled the translation as it's a complex thing to make it work in english. As for dragon quest ix, i have already finished the main story quite a while back and now i'm just post game playing but it's been a while since i last was playing around in this one. I thought the grotto portion of the game would be a fun diversion after playing 11 as i need more DQ in my life. Have the other 3 mainline titles on the DS currently coming through the post but no idea when they will surface thats a few hundred hours of DQ adventuring when they do arrive.

Comment

Today, I finally released my QL adventure game for free as a surprise Christmas gift for the QL community!

Comment

That's great, mate? Is it playable on emulators? And did you build and/or test on real hardware?

Comment

Yes works on QL emulators, and was tested on real hardware, even the recent Q68 computer.

Comment

One of the verbs is ‘fammydodd’. It means to ‘violate’.

You see a door before you. It has two locks, both made of brass. One has the inscription ‘Chow bell’ carved into a plaque to the right of it.

> fammydodd plaque

You remove the plaque and curl a whippy on it.

> fammydodd lock

You try to insert your button-mushroom willy into the hole. It rattles around the space like a dried pea in a rusty tin. Nothing else happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X