(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    I wanted to try Giana Sisters on C64 but its still an effort to remap controls with Vice so that Up is mapped to a button.
    I tried doing that with some Amiga games. Works great until you have to go up a ladder or use a vehicle within the same game.

Comment

Played a bit of Neo Geo Robo Army (via Switch).
      It's a good little side-scrolling beat 'em up with some nice moves and graphics, but feels a bit clunky after being spoiled with Streets of Rage 4 recently. Jump attack is pointless as they always hit you before it connects.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        I tried doing that with some Amiga games. Works great until you have to go up a ladder or use a vehicle within the same game.
        If I had the programming chops I'd make it my life's mission to patch in better controls for games on 8/16 bit micros.

Comment

Published game or garbage romhack? The similarities with SMB are quite superficial. Interesting to play through though.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
            Started Link to the Past just before bed last night. Never played it before and playing on the SNES app on the Switch. I'm not sure if I'll finish it because I often don't like Zelda dungeons. Not a fan of one solution puzzles in games. Used guides for the Divine Beasts in BotW and dungeons in Wind Waker because my mind just don't work like that. Love puzzle games like Tetris but not puzzle games like Layton. Still, seems great so far! Just busted the princess out of her cell. Playing it in short bursts before sleeping.
            Got the three magical pendants and I'm done. This isn't for me. Hate the combat and some of the level design really frustrates me. Multiple instances of blocks you need to push having the same sprite as blocks you can't push. Found it to be a lot of frustrating trial and error and constantly loading save states because I just couldn't click with the combat.

Super Metroid is up next!

Comment

Stayed up late playing Super Metroid in bed on Switch and immediately started playing it as soon as I woke up today. Very into it.

Comment

Been playing Advance wars: days of ruin on the 2ds all day.
                Darker tone than the other advance wars and I'd never heard of it until today,
                did anyone else play it on DS back in the day?
                Last edited by tokyochojin; 29-01-2021, 07:07.

Comment

Still loving the delights of my previously downloaded 360 library.

Comment

I dropped Super Metroid. Got the Space Jump and just couldn't get the timing right. Found it impossible and it sapped all the fun out of it.

Started FF Tactics Advance again. My previous save file was 10 years ago. Starting over and loving it. Doing a mission before bed each night.

Comment

I got Shukotou Battle 2 on the Dreamcast on Saturday and have played it a bunch over the weekend. It looks fantastic and I love how it plays. I prefer arcadey racers and this is great. Love the open world and challenging other racers structure. Planning on picking up more of the series and the Kaido offshoot.
                      Last edited by chopemon; 16-02-2021, 08:42.

Comment

Finally got a whole load of things hooked up this past week, so I've been playing plenty of things lately. Of specific note... Jaki Crush is great, although even on slow I'm finding I'm scrabbling about at the bottom part of the table far much more than I do in other Naxat games. Devil is still my favourite, but this does come close.

Also, been dabbling with Progear, which I really want to try and learn properly. Years and years ago I was at a point where I could scrape my way to the final stage, and although that's still a long-ass way from the end, I'd really like to dedicate the time to making it happen. I feel like learning how to play properly and score is the best way of achieving that, and I'm now batting around a few ideas in my head on how best to commit to improving and documenting that.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                          Been playing Advance wars: days of ruin on the 2ds all day.
                          Darker tone than the other advance wars and I'd never heard of it until today,
                          did anyone else play it on DS back in the day?
                          Never played it but quite interested. How are you finding it?

Comment

Back on old Tomb Raider again. Like to play all the first five Core games once a year so after doing the OpenLara TR1 port on the original Xbox I was in the mood for some more and did TR3 faster than normal so now I am halfway through TR2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                              Never played it but quite interested. How are you finding it?
                              It's great, it has a more serious tone as I think they realized how much time had passed since the first Advance Wars on GBA and realized that their original fanbase had grown up. I still prefer the original Advance Wars art style but this is nice for a change.
                              The gameplay is also excellent and rebalanced in an exciting way, the new much-needed bike units speed up the game. Worth checking out.

Comment

Got Ape Escape today and have been playing it most of the afternoon. Played it when it originally came out but never again since then until today. Really a great little gem of a game and it reminded me a lot of the Astro Bot games for some reason. Controls take a bit of getting used to but once they click the game is a huge amount of fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X