No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have a look into it. Do I just need a MAME PC that connects to the internet?

Comment

Any PC will do. You don’t need MAME, just download Fightcade 2 and the correct ROM and you’re good to go!

Comment

Played some Street Fighter Zero 3 on the Dreamcast last night. First time using that Striker fight pad. Thought I had a bit of loose skin on my thumb and without thinking, bit it off between rounds. Turns out it was a fresh dpad blister and I'd just taken the top off. No more fighting games for a few days since it hurts to touch a dpad now.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
          Played some Street Fighter Zero 3 on the Dreamcast last night. First time using that Striker fight pad. Thought I had a bit of loose skin on my thumb and without thinking, bit it off between rounds. Turns out it was a fresh dpad blister and I'd just taken the top off. No more fighting games for a few days since it hurts to touch a dpad now.
          Bit of superglue on the blister and back to it, you wimp!

Comment

Reading that reminds me of playing Psyvariar 2 on Dreamcast, with the regular controller... dpad left my thumb in agony, especially due to the spin mechanics in that game!

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
              Ouch! Sounds painful!

But no sympathy from me - wouldn’t have happened if you were using a stick. The ONLY way to play fighters, especially 2D fighters.

Comment

Been playing Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. on PlayStation 3, top quality mecha versus title. Closest game you can get to a modern Virtual On, need the follow ups on PS3 and PS4 will grab at some point. Some tough trophies mind finished half the arcade route and trial missions that's over 100 missions and still don't have 1.

Comment

Booted up Peggle Nights on a whim and did a full run through of it.

It's still addictive AF even after all these years. I'm surprised they haven't brought it back tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                    Ouch! Sounds painful!

But no sympathy from me - wouldn’t have happened if you were using a stick. The ONLY way to play fighters, especially 2D fighters.
                    I know...

Grew up playing SF2 and the Alphas on Mega Drive (the three button pad at that) and PS1 pads. Too used to them now. I have been thinking about forcing myself to make the transition to sticks but the Dreamcast ones are a bit pricey at the moment. Hoping I can find one in a Hard Off next time I'm in Japan.

Comment

Been playing the MD version of ROADBLASTERS. Curiously, it's one of those I entirely missed out on back in the day, plus I've never played it on emu (it wouldn't load last time I tried on a different machine).

Anyway, don't understand why this got crappy reviews at the time, yeah it's a simplistic game but this is a VERY close and impressive port of the coin-op, right down to the sounds, look, feel.

VERY impressive indeed. Wish OutRun had been as slick as this!

Comment

Played through Ghost in the Shell on PS1 in the last couple of days. Originally started on my Japanese copy but switched to emulator so I could use an English ROM so I could hear all the original voice actors. Good job I did as that game is hard and never seems to save. I got through it with save states and never once saw a save option.

After that I gave The Bouncer a go. I'd always heard people hated and thought it couldn't be that bad. Boy howdy is the combat slow and dull.

Then tried Dino Crisis 3. Again, always heard it was bad but didn't realise just how soulless and charmless it is. So that got turned off.

Also tried D2 on the Dreamcast. Wanted to play it for ages but it's a no go. During cut scenes the disk drive makes really loud noises every two seconds or so. It's fine in gameplay but during cutscenes I can hear the disk drive over my headphones and it was driving my girlladypartnerfriend mental. I assume it's pulling audio off the disk constantly during cutscenes. Going to have to emulate it on the PC.

Also got a PS2 slim out of the garage and popped a Free Mcboot memory card in to test using burned disks. I often buy Japanese copies of games for my collection as they're much cheaper but stuff like Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner is somewhat difficult to play without the English. So now I can be mental and have physical copies of games but use burned disks to play them if I need them in English.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          Been playing the MD version of ROADBLASTERS. Curiously, it's one of those I entirely missed out on back in the day, plus I've never played it on emu (it wouldn't load last time I tried on a different machine).

Anyway, don't understand why this got crappy reviews at the time, yeah it's a simplistic game but this is a VERY close and impressive port of the coin-op, right down to the sounds, look, feel.

VERY impressive indeed. Wish OutRun had been as slick as this!
                          This is the case quite a lot with arcade ports from back in the day, they'd often get middling reviews for just being a port of some old arcade game. I remember a review of the MD version of OutRun where their primary complaint was "who cares about OutRun any more".

Comment

Just played some Capcom Fighting Jam. I remember really liking it on release. It's a fun knock about game but obviously not one of the greats. I'd forgotten how iffy the backgrounds are in it. Mostly weird photo composites with almost no animation or life. Also not my favourite selection of characters to pick from.

Comment

Yeah, it ended up being rushed out after Capcom scrapped Capcom Fighting All-Stars, so it's a bit of a bodge. I remember getting a good weekend out of it and that was about it.
                              Last edited by endo; 23-12-2020, 22:54.

Comment

Biggest surprise is that Morrigan isn't in it. That sprite got trotted out so much it's a surprise when she isn't in a Capcom game.

Comment

Working...
                                X