(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I've always enjoyed it, despite it being quite repetitive. There's also a version for the Mega Drive called 'Championship Pro-Am.
    I ended up moving onto RC de Go! on the PSX which has that 90s arcade racer vibe going for it. There's quick race from the arcade version I presume and a campaign mode that lets you upgrade your car, similar to Top Gear 2. Really fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
      I ended up moving onto RC de Go! on the PSX
      Haven't played that for ages, but remember really liking it back in the '90s. Was an import gem that got good reviews.

Comment

Finished original Xbox Freedom Fighters. Enjoyed it more than I expected.

As said earlier it needed work on the squad control system and certain elements of the gameplay were not well thought out. Whilst the story, script and voice acting were OK that was all off the peg, generic stuff complete with cliched patriotic American motormouths and pantomime perfidious Russian characters. Think original Red Dawn movie with a seasoning of Rambo 3 and that's the sort of level I'm talking about.

Comment

I've been at Gran Turismo 2 again, which I always find myself going back to and will probably be playing until I'm 70. I'm working towards 100% completion and all gold licences (seems MUCH harder than GT4, which is saying something), but mostly amusing myself for countless hours tuning cars for time trials on different circuits. The one I've spent the most time on is finding the fastest car around Trial Mountain with less than 400 horsepower. Surprisingly, this Mazda 323 has been champion for at least a year (any suggestions?):

I've also just discovered that drifting is actually pretty good in GT2, and a lot of fun. In fact there's a track called Motorsport Land you unlock in arcade mode which I think doesn't even feature in simulation mode, and seems to be made specifically for practicing drifting. This has got me really excited because now I have a great way to enjoy all of the big, heavy FR cars which aren't otherwise much use. Should probably give an epilepsy warning for this clip of the motorsport land drift track - I filmed it from a CRT as I don't have any capture devices at the moment. Watching the 'Wrong Way' flash up on the replay made me laugh

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
          Last edited by Limitless; 14-11-2019, 22:09. Reason: Embedded youtube vid didn't work

Comment

Originally posted by Limitless View Post
            I've been at Gran Turismo 2 again, which I always find myself going back to and will probably be playing until I'm 70. I'm working towards 100% completion and all gold licences (seems MUCH harder than GT4, which is saying something), but mostly amusing myself for countless hours tuning cars for time trials on different circuits. The one I've spent the most time on is finding the fastest car around Trial Mountain with less than 400 horsepower. Surprisingly, this Mazda 323 has been champion for at least a year (any suggestions?):

I've also just discovered that drifting is actually pretty good in GT2, and a lot of fun. In fact there's a track called Motorsport Land you unlock in arcade mode which I think doesn't even feature in simulation mode, and seems to be made specifically for practicing drifting. This has got me really excited because now I have a great way to enjoy all of the big, heavy FR cars which aren't otherwise much use. Should probably give an epilepsy warning for this clip of the motorsport land drift track - I filmed it from a CRT as I don't have any capture devices at the moment. Watching the 'Wrong Way' flash up on the replay made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBH9hjMLJro
            Hirst loves GT2 as well!

Comment

Started Descent II - orginal Xbox homebrew port. Plays very well but boy is the level design mindbogglingly complex; its no wonder they included a robot guide (who you usually have to find first and release) to help the player navigate through the dark passageways and unmarked doors. Think Doom I/II but in three dimensions.

Also started original Xbox Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within. Not bothered about the usual criticism of this sequel in regard to the Prince's change of character. But then I was not invested in his character in the first game.

Whilst I'm enjoying the inventive platforming, like I did the Sands Of Time, I'm not enjoying the camera. Over time I've become less tolerant of these sort of things even in retro games, particularly when they seem to be using that just to raise the chances of the character dying.

Barkingly mad you can invert Y in first person view, my usual preference, but not in the main third person. It also has this habit of swapping camera position just when you do not want it too and the auto-face when an enemy is near is plain annoying.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 28-11-2019, 14:31. Reason: typo, unnecessary repetition

Comment

It should be illegal not to offer an 'invert Y' option, or at least against some sort of EU directive.

I can only recall one game that didn't offer it, fortunately, which was Wind Waker HD.

Comment

I went back to the GameCube and played a few games. Rogue Squadron 2 is still really impressive. It's also a lot of fun to play, so I spent a while trying to go through it.

Comment

I couldn't get on with GC Rogue Squadron 2 - its graphically highly impressive even today but like all Star Wars stuff it left and leaves me totally cold and uninvolved. I remember finding the difference in the control sensitivity between pitch and roll more difficult to handle than any other flight/space shooter game I've played.

One of the few games that I've come to the last level and after more than just a few attempts decided I had enough and left it uncompleted.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                      One of the few games that I've come to the last level and after more than just a few attempts decided I had enough and left it uncompleted.
                      It's definitely a demanding game that can feel frustrating at times, but the atmosphere keeps me coming back for more. It's nice that it still looks pretty good today.

Comment

My favourite thing about that game is that they made the Death Star trench run level one. Big dick playa move.

Comment

Finished Mickey & Minnie's Magical Adventure 2: The Great Circus Mystery (Super Famicom) last night after picking it up from eBay the other week.

I loved the first entry, and this is much of the same. Except now it has two-player co-op play (I've no friends to test that out with) and you can play as Minnie as well. I think I'll play through it again on the harder difficulty and see how I get on, since it was very easy to complete. Then maybe check out the Japan-only threequel

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                            Then maybe check out the Japan-only threequel
                            That's also top quality in all areas. With the added bonus of Donald Duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              That's also top quality in all areas. With the added bonus of Donald Duck.
                              I’ve got it and as great as it is, it’s no World of Illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                                it’s no World of Illusion.
                                Yeah, that's another great Disney game from that era.

Comment

Working...
                                X