No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried Metamorpic Force? Loving this at the moment!

Comment

Since getting my Super NT I have been playing F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country and Super Turrican.

Have to say Im not a big fan of Turrican, I dont like the character designs at all and the game is really difficult. Will give it more time though, hopefully it will grow on me.

Comment

Super Mario 64 (Wii), Diddy Kong Racing (Wii emulation).

Comment

I've been hammering Wipeout 3 this week. It was always my least favourite but I've had a brilliant time playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            Yep a top game. I play through it every couple of weeks!!! Full of class.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              Yeah, it's a Konami arcade classic. Such a stunning game. You need to play 'Mystic Warriors' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post

Have to say Im not a big fan of Turrican, I dont like the character designs at all and the game is really difficult. Will give it more time though, hopefully it will grow on me.
                Have you got Super Turrican 2? That's a really nice run-and-gun experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  Have you got Super Turrican 2? That's a really nice run-and-gun experience.
                  Yeah thats on the system as well. Wanted to go through the first game before tackling the second one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    Yeah, it's a Konami arcade classic. Such a stunning game. You need to play 'Mystic Warriors' as well.
                    Yeah MW is excellent too

Comment

Been playing a lot of Donkey Kong 3 (arcade) this week. Still ****e at it, but my favourite Donkey Kong.
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Anyone remember before The Great Bordersdown Server Failure there was a thread in which we posted ten games we’d try to play/complete in 2018? Well I haven’t had much success with mine, starting off with Super Metroid and then putting the game down for a few months and forgetting where exactly in the game I was and what I had to do next. I moved on to Beggar Prince for the Mega Drive and must’ve poured 30-40 hours into it before a game-crippling bug meant I couldn’t progress, and me being me didn’t have an earlier save to resort to.

So I have moved onto another game on the list, Shadowrun for the SNES, which I started playing via emulation a couple of years back before buying a physical copy and starting again. I managed to work out where exactly I was in the game - I had reached the part where you need to enter the Drake building - and realised why I hadn’t progressed any further, which was due to me not being able to hack the computer operating the lift. After all these years, it transpired that I didn’t actually know how to do the hacking sequences, and a helpful Youtube video later and the penny dropped. God knows how I managed to get to where I was in the game without hacking the Matrix - I guess I must’ve just fumbled around until the game moved forwards. Either that or I did know how to do it and my age is affecting my memory.

So now I’m up to the volcano level but died a couple of times on sub floor three I think. Sh*t’s getting real. But the end is in sight so I may get to tick one game off before the end of the year.

If anyone is interested in getting hold of the game, I can tell you first hand that the SFC version is perfectly playable as all menu items/dialogue is in English with Japanese subtitles. I haven’t looked at current pricing, but when I bought it a couple of years back I think I paid around £30 for a complete version in fair condition. The US version will set you back considerably more.

Great game, and a cult classic.
                        Last edited by samanosuke; 14-10-2018, 11:22.

Comment

That's not too far off that price for a fair condition US copy, I bought mine for £35 fairly recently. I don't think it's aged well at all really, it's very rough around the edges and it's remarkably short. I was quite disappointed when I picked it up again as I had very fond memories of playing it back in the day.

Comment

I had an OG Xbox session this morning.

Conker: Live and Reloaded: Absolutely stunning graphics -- and plays really well. RARE knew how to get the most out of the system.

Crimson Skies: It still looks stunning. Flying around shooting things is a whole lot of fun.

Serious Sam: This is a great looking game that runs silky smooth. I like the manic action, range of enemies, and overall sense of fun.

I played them using the Xbox HDMI box that gives a really clear image when outputting 480p. Highly recommended.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-10-2018, 12:09.

Comment

The level on serious sam where you first get the minigun and a million warebulls come at you, is one of the best gaming moments of all time.

Comment

Serious Sam on the Xbox is actually a 'tweaked' conglomeration of the 1st and 2nd Encounter original PC games and is indeed a really good arcade style FPS although there is more depth to it than you'd initially think. For instance there are some (often) very well hidden or difficult to get to secret areas with useful pickups in most levels.

It is undoubtedly one of those games which shows off the original Xbox's superior graphics capabilities in comparison to the other consoles of its generation. As vanpeebles says the number of enemies you have to deal with at times is absolutely manic and all that with a frame rate which rarely drops to the point it becomes noticeable let alone affects the gameplay.

Compare it to the original PC versions though and you'll see just how much work they must have done getting it to run so smoothly on the console.

You have to 'get' this sort of FPS to truly enjoy it and for me it was not a sit down and finish in a few sessions type of game. IMHO best to play through it in short bursts over a longer period, an odd half hour here and there between playing something completely different. That way it remains, as intended, a genuinely fun FPS challenge.

Serious Sam 2, which I didn't enjoy quite as much, looks even better but feels smaller, more linear and less engaging in general but is also well worth playing.

Probably best now for those who want to play it on console is to get the XB360 Serious Sam HD Collection which includes virtually everything including SS3 and DLC.
                                Last edited by fallenangle; 28-10-2018, 13:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X