No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messing around with Toca 2 and Croc on PCEM. Toca 2's aged a bit with the controls, feels like the cars turn on the spot if that makes sense? It doesn't feel right.

Croc's controls are clunky but you know, I still really enjoy playing this game. I love the visuals and Croc's character design especially. It's just really fun.

Comment

Just started a new game of A Link to the Past. Although OoT is my favourite Zelda, this one hasn’t aged a bit and is still amazing, just the music alone gave me goosebumps. Graphics are timeless, controls are perfect and the dungeons are just a lot of fun, it still puts a lot of modern games to shame.

Comment

Playing through Chrono Cross on PS1 at the moment. A game I'd put off playing for many years, but kinda wish I'd done it years ago! It really is rather good, and I find it to be a good bit of escapism and anxiety relief whilst the real world currently falls to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
          Messing around with Toca 2 and Croc on PCEM. Toca 2's aged a bit with the controls, feels like the cars turn on the spot if that makes sense? It doesn't feel right.

Croc's controls are clunky but you know, I still really enjoy playing this game. I love the visuals and Croc's character design especially. It's just really fun.
          I think the cockpit view in TOCA 2 with useful mirrors and the ability to glance left and right is superb.

Also if you enter the cheat codes for hidden tracks and cars I seems like there's a whole other game worth of content in there. I wonder if there's some story behind this, like assets from a cancelled title? Seems a mad amount of work to make all that stuff and then hide it. The track around the Loch is my personal favourite!

Comment

Been on SNES UN SQUADRON. Very, very elegant game, both in look and feel, a special game for the system.

I love my MD shooters but they could never dress up as nice as this, what a colour-beast the SNES was, this looks as great now as it always did!

Comment

Originally posted by Limitless View Post
              I think the cockpit view in TOCA 2 with useful mirrors and the ability to glance left and right is superb.

Also if you enter the cheat codes for hidden tracks and cars I seems like there's a whole other game worth of content in there. I wonder if there's some story behind this, like assets from a cancelled title? Seems a mad amount of work to make all that stuff and then hide it. The track around the Loch is my personal favourite!
              Wouldn't surprise me, the content in those old games puts newer series to shame. Toca 3 had an insane amount iof content as well IIRC.

Just finished Croc which got a little frustrating towards the end. The real enemy in that game is the controls and to a lesser extent the camera.

The artwork, music and character design is still great though.

Also, one of the enemies looks like Berk from The Trap Door.

Comment

Playing through Sanitarium. Cool theme and isometric artwork but the controls are trying. It should clearly be point and click but it doesn't look like the devs managed to implement path finding, so they chose direct mouse control and it's just so slow and clunky.

Doesn't seem like it'll be a long game though, I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Last weekend and early this week I played through Disaster Day of Crisis on the Wii. It went on for much longer than I expected but never outstayed it's welcome. Each level has loads of variety and cool ideas. It's got very high production values and some of the weather effects are super impressive for the Wii. It was really nice to play through a tightly designed linear game for a change.

I enjoyed playing a Wii game again so I started Endless Ocean straight after. A fantastic looking game and wonderfully chill. I didn't realise it was an Arika banger, I always like their stuff.

Last weekend I also played Densha De Go on the PS1. Looks amazing going through my OSSC. The environments are lovely and crisp and bold. Took a while to get used to but got the hang of it. I was expecting more of a casual game but loved how precise it wants you to be. I've got a PS2 DDG to get into as well.

Comment

I’ve only played the DS version of DDG and find it a very relaxing and enjoyable experience to drive a train around the Yamanote line.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                      , what a colour-beast the SNES was, this looks as great now as it always did!
                      Yeah, there's a nice vibrancy about the visuals, and the colourful backgrounds are a feast for the eyes. Such a good looking game that hasn't aged one bit. I still think it's a tough bastard to play though, but at least that makes it feel really intense.

I've been enjoying the original Doom again on the XB1. The port looks really nice, plays well, and the audio is good. It's really reminded me how special Doom is.

Comment

Finished Sanitarium. It has a bit of a cult following but its pants imo. Lots of loosely connected scenes, some rubbish puzzles, awful controls and the occasional forced action sequence.

Comment

Played some Mega CD goodness last night:

Silpheed
                          I know this gets stick for not being a pure shmup - bullets fly straight at you as opposed to forming patterns, and those Galaga-esque dive bombing aliens make it more of an avoid ‘em up - but I absolutely LOVE this game. I remember at the time it was unfairly panned for being like Gyruss with fancy backgrounds, but I for one feel it’s a real aural and graphical tour de force and makes great use of the system it’s on.

Now don’t berate me for my lack of skills, but last night I made it to level 5 for the first time and wow, that soundtrack gets even better! I did it twice in a row in fact so I think I’ve finally got level 4 down. Tough as nails, this, although what shooter isn’t?

Rebel Assualt
                          I used to own this back in the day so burned a copy to give it a spin in 2020. I dunno why but I don’t remember ever getting that far in it, although I do remember never using the password system as I didn’t want to complete it too quickly having paid £45 for it. Anyhow, so last night I got further than I remember getting before, up to the Stormtrooper stage. I tell you what, after that Walker level which took ages of looping the same bit of FMV over and over again until I’d finally destroyed it some 20 minutes later, I’ll certainly be using the password system next time I play it!

Sure it’s grainy as hell and has very limited gameplay, but it’s Star Wars ffs and has footage from the movies, the proper music, and it features none of the prequel sequel bollocks that came out since the original trilogy. For those reasons it’s still worth a play today.
                          Last edited by samanosuke; 08-06-2020, 20:54.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Silpheed

but I absolutely LOVE this game.
                            Yeah, it's such a fun game. Easily one of the best MCD titles alongside other gems like Soulstar.

I wish it had been released for the 3DO as well, as I'd have definitely bought it.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            Sure it’s grainy as hell and has very limited gameplay, but it’s Star Wars ffs and has footage from the movies, the proper music, and it features none of the prequel sequel bollocks that came out since the original trilogy. For those reasons it’s still worth a play today.
                            The atmosphere enhances the dodgy visuals and gameplay. Well worth playing for people who like classic Star Wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              Yeah, it's such a fun game. Easily one of the best MCD titles alongside other gems like Soulstar.

I wish it had been released for the 3DO as well, as I'd have definitely bought it.
                              That would have been great but at least the 3DO got a cracking port of Starblade to satisfy the on rails space shooter fans.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                at least the 3DO got a cracking port of Starblade to satisfy the on rails space shooter fans.
                                Yeah, I bought it back in the day and enjoyed it. I like Silpheed a lot more though.

Novastorm is another similar game that I like, even if it doesn't have a good rep. I think the 3DO version looks OK and plays well.

Comment

Working...
                                X