(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Had a Streets of Rage II session (on Xbox one) with one of the boys last night (our youngest, 7). I thought he'd take one look at the old visuals and ask for Disney Infinity or Lego Marvel instead. But he loved it. I'd forgotten just how much fun co-op
    Beautiful 16-bit graphics stand the test of time. They have a distinct quality that will always impress me. The same with the best chip music.

It's good to know your son enjoyed it, despite having flashy modern games to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      It's good to know your son enjoyed it, despite having flashy modern games to play.
      He introduced his older brother (9) to it last night. Both totally smitten. The living room sounded like the early 90s last night Only problem is when one of them 'accidentally' slaps the other, and it gets a bit heated. I wonder if you can turn friendly fire off?

Comment

My dad had a good idea for dealing with us cousins and arguments arising from accidental slaps: we would clear the screen of enemies and then fight to the death. The loser gave the controller to the next cousin and they got to carry on playing with the winner. These battles always took a long time because friendly fire isn't too damaging.

This was before sor2 and its dual mode

Sometimes it's hard to believe sor and sor2 were on the same machine. The difference in scale is pretty immense. And of course the music

I tend to prefer the atmosphere of sor, though. The elevator stage rising above the city, the boat stage with the city in the background... it felt more realistic than sor2.

Comment

I'm 'trying' to get them to play cooperatively ... with varying degrees of success

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          Sometimes it's hard to believe sor and sor2 were on the same machine. The difference in scale is pretty immense. And of course the music

I tend to prefer the atmosphere of sor, though. The elevator stage rising above the city, the boat stage with the city in the background... it felt more realistic than sor2.
          The first SoR was such an unexpected treat. I traded my Gamegear with a mate for his Megadrive + Sonic & SoR. I only wanted it for Sonic, but I played Streets much more. One of the first gaming soundtracks that stood out to me too

Tbh the sequels passed me by as I was more into my Super Nintendo when they came out. I just played bits and bobs at mates houses. So seeing/playing SoR II now, you're right, hard to believe they're on the same system. Amazing.

Comment

So if I wanted to introduce the kids to SoR, which version would be best? Have all manner of platforms, emulated, FPGA, Ps3/4, xbox/360.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              Even though I know you love 16 bit that comment there kinda smacks of a snipe comment just trying to get a point across with regards to the other thread
              Last edited by buster_broon; 05-03-2016, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                So if I wanted to introduce the kids to SoR, which version would be best? Have all manner of platforms, emulated, FPGA, Ps3/4, xbox/360.
                The Sega Vintage Collection version is amazing. Ticks all the right boxes.

Comment

Dynamite Deka 2 on the Dreamcast for me this week, man I forgot how funny and how short it was!!!

Good fun for the 20 minutes it took to complete it.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                    Even though I know you love 16 bit that comment there kinda smacks of a snipe comment just trying to get a point across with regards to the other thread
                    No, just tongue in cheek. It really is nice to know that a young kid appreciates how cool something like SOR2 still is.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-03-2016, 22:50.

Comment

I've been playing N64 games all week. F-Zero X is still a whole lot of fun. I can see why people moaned about the graphics being basic, but running at a silky 60fps and having 30 distinct crafts in the race, really is impressive. I actually like the very abstract graphics - and the metal-esque music adds to the atmosphere. A truly great N64 game.

Comment

Never liked F-Zero 64 myself . Love the N64 console though , been playing a bit of Pilotwings 64 - what a gem of a game that is . Perfect to control and play

Comment

Pilotwings 64 needs to come to VC. Whenever I've sold an N64, this is the game I always buy one back for.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Love the N64 console though , been playing a bit of Pilotwings 64 - what a gem of a game that is . Perfect to control and play
                            As much as the N64 doesn't have many great games, it had enough to keep me happy back in the day. I bought the machine with Mario 64, Wave Race and Pilotwings 64. Wave Race is my fave of the bunch, with Pilotwings also being a really nice game. I just love the atmosphere in PW64. And then I remember being over the moon when F-Zero X was announced. When I finally got my hands on it in 1998, I thought it was really good. My second favourite N64 game.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-03-2016, 21:53.

Comment

I finished Defender of Oasis for the Game Gear via 3DS VC. It's simple and quite grindy which I don't personally mind but I missed out on finding a spell that grants MP regen and that made certain dungeons a bit of a slog. Kicked myself when I realised and had an easy enough time with the rest of the game but it's an easy spell to miss imo. Playing an RPG with an arabian type setting was a nice change and makes me want to give The Story of Thor a go.

Comment

Played some more Gradius V last night.

I was playing rubbish and had to restart the first level loads because I was dying on it.
                                Once I got my groove, I made it to level 5 without dying, then I moved on, but it was nice listening on headphones for the first time.
                                Such a great soundtrack.

Man, the whole thing is just brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                X