No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been having a Christmas Day Famicom session, really got stuck into Taito Grand Prix!

It's a real hidden gem, seems it never got an export release. You have to tune up your car to win races and rank up to get more parts. I ended on it for an hour longer than I intended as I was saving up for a supercharger!

Comment

Taking a slight break from RPGs and jumping back into the NES, I've decided to try and beat Kabuki Quantum Fighter which I owned as a kid and could never beat.

I could only reach stage 3 back then but reached the stage 4 boss on my first try tonight. There's only 6 stages in total and it's not Ninja Gaiden hard, so with a bit of practice I think I'll be able to get through it over the weekend.

Still makes me laugh how a government agent named Scott O'Connor turns into a Kabuki actor who fights enemies with this hair

Comment

Managed to clear stage 1 of Abidya on the Amiga. This is probably the platform’s best shooter:

Comment

Just finish Xbox Prince Of Persia: The Two Thrones.

Few recent games I've played have annoyed me more than this. Old school try and die gameplay sucked so much of the enjoyment out of the platforming sections although they were often inspired, if a little repetitive towards the end.

But it was the constant punctuation of that with the usually drawn out combat areas with its QTE event key feature that really bought it down for me. I grew to hate the unskippable cutscenes if you had to reload from a save point (rather than a checkpoint) and then also repeat an utterly pointlessly long lead in section before you could replay the area designed to make you fail and repeat multiple times.

So often after completion of a task like that it left you feeling annoyance, bordering on anger, rather than the satisfaction a game should evoke.

There was much I did not like about Warrior Within, the music was an abomination and the unavoidable combat frustrating but at least you could kill the common enemies reasonably quickly. I also found the level design more interesting, attractive and with the emphasis being on the platforming better balanced. I actually enjoyed it more than The Two Thrones.

Perhaps I should not have played them back to back.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 25-01-2020, 02:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Managed to clear stage 1 of Abidya on the Amiga. This is probably the platform’s best shooter:

https://youtu.be/L3gIjMm2P-g
            Battle Squadron is my fave. Disposable Hero is also pretty good. Apidya has quality graphics and great music, but I wish the artist had gone for a more stylised look, rather than trying to make things look realistic.

Comment

Beat Kabuki Quantum Fighter, it's not actually that hard. There's some really fun and tricky platforming but the enemies aren't too dificult to dispatch and the bosses actually become easier to beat as the game goes on.

The final end screen has a music select option and states, 'I'll be back. Watch for my next adventure.'

As far as I know, there was never actually a follow up to this game which is a shame.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has an interesting entry for it- http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kabuki-quantum-fighter/ Apparently it was a movie tie in which I didn't know. I'm going to see if I can hunt that down.

Comment

[MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION]

I remember seeing it in magazines as a kid, but haven't ever played it. Looks like my cup of tea, so I'll give the Japanese version a go next time I have my NES set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  @Cepp

I remember seeing it in magazines as a kid, but haven't ever played it. Looks like my cup of tea, so I'll give the Japanese version a go next time I have my NES set up.
                  Definitely worth playing mate. Doubt it'll take more than an hour or so of your time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                    Beat Kabuki Quantum Fighter, it's not actually that hard. There's some really fun and tricky platforming but the enemies aren't too dificult to dispatch and the bosses actually become easier to beat as the game goes on.

The final end screen has a music select option and states, 'I'll be back. Watch for my next adventure.'

As far as I know, there was never actually a follow up to this game which is a shame.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has an interesting entry for it- http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kabuki-quantum-fighter/ Apparently it was a movie tie in which I didn't know. I'm going to see if I can hunt that down.
                    Literally just picked this up a week or so ago.
                    Like Leon, I remember seeing it advertised in comics and thought it looked good but I’d already moved onto the MD by that point. Haven’t got around to sitting down and playing it yet, but it’s on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                      Literally just picked this up a week or so ago.
                      Like Leon, I remember seeing it advertised in comics and thought it looked good but I’d already moved onto the MD by that point. Haven’t got around to sitting down and playing it yet, but it’s on the list.
                      Money well spent in that case

Power Blade and Blue Shadow are next on my list for games I owned but never beat as a kid.

Comment

Power Blade and Blue Shadow are next on my list for games I owned but never beat as a kid.
                        Have you played Shatterhand? I guess you have, but if not, I'm sure you'd like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          Have you played Shatterhand? I guess you have, but if not, I'm sure you'd like it.
                          Yeah I've got it but not beaten it. I love the intro

The NES is chock full of great action platformers. It's so good for it

Comment

Yeah I've got it but not beaten it. I love the intro

The NES is chock full of great action platformers. It's so good for it
                            Yeah, the intro is like something from a modern retro-style game. The whole game is top quality in all areas.

The NES/Famicom catalogue certainly contains loads of really fun action platformers that play really well. It's part of the reason why it's one of my favourite consoles.

Comment

Money well spent in that case

Ha! I picked them both up a little while ago too.

I finished Blue Shadow recently, didn’t find it too bad difficulty wise. One technique that’s definitely a thing in that game is avoiding enemies over fighting them. Some enemies take like 10 hits and due to your speed and jump height it’s better to just jump over their head and keep running.

I say I’ve got Power Blade, I’ve actually got Power Blazer which to be fair is a completely different game. It confused me for a while but Power Blazer came out in Japan and when moving it to the US, the US team saw it and didn’t like it (or so the story goes) so they re-made it and called it Power Blade. They’re both games where to main protagonist uses a boomerang but the JPN version looks more like Megaman and the Western version looks more realistic.

Comment

After my small diversion with some action platforming, I'm back on the RPG train with Divine Divinity, a game I purchased 15+ years ago and never got round to playing

3 hours in so far with my warrior, making my way through some catacombs. The UI is cumbersome but the combat is fun and it looks gorgeous. It supports 1080p natively but you're better off playing it in 1024x768 imo.

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                                Ha! I picked them both up a little while ago too.

I finished Blue Shadow recently, didn’t find it too bad difficulty wise. One technique that’s definitely a thing in that game is avoiding enemies over fighting them. Some enemies take like 10 hits and due to your speed and jump height it’s better to just jump over their head and keep running.

I say I’ve got Power Blade, I’ve actually got Power Blazer which to be fair is a completely different game. It confused me for a while but Power Blazer came out in Japan and when moving it to the US, the US team saw it and didn’t like it (or so the story goes) so they re-made it and called it Power Blade. They’re both games where to main protagonist uses a boomerang but the JPN version looks more like Megaman and the Western version looks more realistic.
                                Looks like they improved it going off Youtube videos!

Blue Shadow wil be the next NES game I run through in the case. I enjoy a challenge, but don't have the patience for anything ball breakingly hard.
                                Last edited by Cepp; 26-01-2020, 07:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X