No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been playing Stunt Race FX today. Its a shame that Nintendo never made a sequel to it, graphics are pretty rough by todays standard with a poor framerate and short draw distance, but the music is great and the game has so much charm and character and plays well. Quite fun if you get past the technical limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
      Original Xbox + game = 50 quid.

or Original Xbox + softmod + yarr! = 25-30 quid plus say two hours to setup the softmod and download the ISO.
      I do want a softmodded Xbox as it happens but I'd much rather play KOTOR on PC. I've just moved on to Baldur's Gate, I've never beaten it despite playing it a million times.

Comment

Was playing the original Wipeout today, both Saturn and Playstation versions. Interesting seeing the differences between each version. Saturn version runs worse, has worse graphics but isn't quite as punishing when you hit the side walls so that's a positive i guess. I've never attempted to beat it properly before so giving it a go now before moving onto 2097. Currently can get up to the 3rd race in the Rapier class. Gonna be tough to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
          Quite fun if you get past the technical limitations.
          I couldn't get past the technical problems. I could see what Nintendo were trying to achieve with the overall design, but I just couldn't enjoy playing it. It's a shame they didn't refine the concept with an N64 version.

Comment

I really liked Stunt Race FX. I think they altered the design to match the limitations. It's still very hard though. I played it to death a couple of years ago but never managed to beat it. Time always ran out when I was on the final lap lol. It has bags of character, it's a shame they didn't make more 3D FX games in other genres, seeing as how great this and Starwing are. This is why I got Labo Vehicle Kit, it reminded me of Stunt Race FX a little bit.

Comment

I like it a lot, too. I played it again just last year after grabbing the jp. version (WildTrax) after thinking that the SD2SNES wouldn't be able to cope with Super FX stuff. It took me a couple of nights to unlock the 2WD. Immense fun.

Back in the day it received more TT love between me and my friends over SMK, which says a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                it's a shame they didn't make more 3D FX games in other genres,
                They could have used the power of the Super FX 2 to create sequels to F-Zero and Super Mario Kart. The extra power could have allowed for a split screen 2 player mode in F-Zero -- and a full screen single player in SMK. Plus more effects and complicated circuit designs etc... They used the chip in Yoshi's Island, so also using it to improve previous racing games would have been sensible.

When it comes to Super FX games, Star Fox is easily my favourite. I still really enjoy playing through it.

Comment

Fiddling with the very high center of gravity on Stunt Race always reminds me of Wave Race, as do the weather transitions.

Comment

Has anyone played Vortex?

Comment

Time has been cruel to Stunt Race FX but by god do I have a lot of love for that game. Great fun back in it's day and the ambition of the game was staggering, so many little touches that later games would get lauded for but SRFX was trying to pull that off before them

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                        Has anyone played Vortex?
                        A friend of mine had it back in the day, I thought it was reasonable. You can transform into different vehicles. I really need to go back to it and give it a proper go.

Comment

Never realised how far psp emulation had come, spent this afternoon replaying boku no natsuyasumi 4 on the big screen. Looks beautiful with some nice scanlines added. The PS4 dualshock is coming in handy for emulator stuff both for PS1 & psp hehe.

Comment

Yeah it's come along really well.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              Never realised how far psp emulation had come,
                              Great news... I'll be playing the Parodius Collection on my big screen.

Also, what is that 'vacuum tube' thing you have near the TV?

Comment

Daisenpu! Got the 1CC (twice!)

The second loop is actually more fun - faster paced!

Great shooter for 1989!

Comment

Working...
                                X