No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and revisited Dolphin blue; what a lovely looking game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
      it has a certain charm that hasn’t been beaten.
      A revolutionary game that has a timeless quality.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      magic sword a rattle - brilliant!
      Magic Sword doesn't seem to get much love. I really like how colourful and vibrant the detailed graphics are. Definitely a gem amongst all the big name Capcom games.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-09-2019, 18:14.

Comment

Finally made a proper stab at Xenosaga I. I got about 3 hours in and it's finally taken off in terms of plot.

Comment

Never really played much of Super Ghouls N' Ghosts other than occasionally on the Saturn collection, revisiting on the Switch Snes game, and finding it rather fabulous.
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
            Super Ghouls N' Ghosts. rather fabulous.

A great game in all respects.

Comment

double post.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-09-2019, 21:40.

Comment

Been playing Mystic Quest for the first time from the Collection of Mana compilation. Game is pretty unforgiving, especially at the start, but it is pretty fun to play and a good little Zelda clone from Square.

Comment

Playing original Xbox Far Cry Instincts for the first time.

Much cruder than the great Far Cry 3, the pinnacle of the series IMHO, and it is considerably more linear too despite the fairly open areas. This makes a stealthy approach much more difficult as there is often nowhere to hide so you have to play it much more aggressively than you may want too.

What was good about Far Cry 3 is that almost everywhere you could see was accessible so you could always find or force a route to some higher ground, scope out a location, disable alarms before going in. Here you're hemmed in by mostly steep unclimbable 'walls' of some sort. Additionally you're lucky if the draw distances, although good for the time, render enemies let alone small alarm buttons even with a sniper rifle at distances that allow you to remain hidden.

The upgrade of the graphics capabilities with the XB360 generation is what made Far Cry 3 play as well as it does.

EDIT
                  Nearing the end of this game now and it is undoubtedly one of the best FPS I've played on the original Xbox. Dated, yes, and certain sections of the game go on too long for my taste but it is otherwise a showcase for what the Xbox was capable of at the time.

Frame rate issues indicate it was pushing the Xbox graphics envelope beyond its limits in some locations but it is never unplayable.

Only thing I dislike about it is that there is no way to tame the music volume. It is usually the first thing I do after installing a game - reduce music volume to about 50%. Here it is used to artificially 'enhance' the excitement but when you're actually trying to use a cautious/stealthy approach having some bland mid-Atlantic heavy rock track blaring into your headphones it quickly becomes annoying.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 28-09-2019, 11:54.

Comment

Playing through GTA 3 for the first time since it came out on PS2. It's.... still really good actually, I'm having a blast. My only issue with it really is the inverted vertical camera control when using a control pad but apart from that it's great fun.

Comment

Since we're in October, I figured now would be as good a time as any to finally do a full run through of Resident Evil. I did have Director's Cut back in the day but never finished it.

I just got past the gardens and into the basement. So far the entire experience has been a lot more tense and atmospheric than I thought it would be after all these years. The sparse use of music really works well.

Comment

On the Ghouls N' Ghosts/Ghosts 'n Goblins thing do not forget the spiritual if not actual descendant: Maximo: Ghost To Glory and its sequel Maximo vs. Army Of Zin on the PS2. Two of the under appreciated gems of that generation.

Some of the music used was apparently orchestrated version of tracks used in both those earlier games.

Comment

Spot of MSR on Dreamcast, got a later build of the game this week and it's surprising the number of bugs that were in the first PAL release. Toyko only at night time for example

Comment

Just started original Xbox Crimson Skies - High Road to Revenge.

Slightly odd control system but so far an enjoyable 'arcade' type fantasy flight combat game. Reminds me of Yager, also an Xbox exclusive. Different in that Yager used what was in effect a jet helicopter rather than souped up bi-planes but in terms of gameplay and looks very similar. Considering that it is over 16 years old, like Yager, the graphics are impressive for their time. Voice acting and script, although the latter is predictably generic, are also surprisingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                              the graphics are impressive for their time. Voice acting and script, although the latter is predictably generic, are also surprisingly good.
                              Yeah, the graphics are still attractive. The whole design is really well realised. One of the best OG Xbox titles.

Comment

Making steady progress with Resident Evil. Killed the plant with my shotgun, forgetting that the game had just given me some flame rounds for the bazooker. Still, it went down quick enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X