No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I beat what I thought was the final boss in Metroid Prime, then I entered a new area with the real final boss

(a big spider thing in a crater, very much like IT)

... after a few lengthy attempts I beat it, only to enter into a whole new second phase. I hate that The battles are relatively straight forward to work out but the last one just takes ages. So I'm losing the will to keep going back. I want to complete the game but each attempt is clocking in at 20+ minutes.

I've loved the puzzle nature of this game, and most of the battles ... but this last one is just zapping my energy, right at the finish line (I think).

Comment

I never finished that game exactly because of that.

Comment

Been playing a bit of Castlevania: Spectral Interlude via ZXDS.

Graphically it is beautiful, with great use of colour, and the music is an impressive technical feat despite some of the tracks grating after a while. I guess with talented developers really pushing the boundaries of what we thought was possible on the humble Speccy, it’s easy to forget they still cannot increase the RAM, and with all that colour and huge levels, there probably wasn’t much left for sweeping orchestral soundtracks.

In terms of how it plays, it is much more advanced than the NES versions, with Metroid-style levels and lots of NPCs/dialogue. Gameplay is a little difficult, with Simon not controlling quite as well as on the console ‘Vanias, and some of the enemies do move rather quickly which can make things frustrating. And to compound the brutal difficulty, the developers decided just a single life was more than enough to finish this bad boy. Thankfully ZXDS has save slots.

Really liking it so far.
        Last edited by samanosuke; 10-09-2018, 21:45.

Comment

Had a play through of The Shadow for the SNES. Shame this was cancelled just because the film bombed, it's a pretty decent scrolling beat 'em up.

Comment

Battle Garrega (Saturn), after years of not getting anywhere cos the bullets look like debris , I've now discovered you can set the bullets to red ball.

It's now one of my favourite games

Comment

Funny, I've always hated it as a game for the exact reason I couldn't see the bullets!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Funny, I've always hated it as a game for the exact reason I couldn't see the bullets!
                sure it's not your failing eyesight??

Comment

20/20 mate, just had a medical.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                    Battle Garrega (Saturn), after years of not getting anywhere cos the bullets look like debris , I've now discovered you can set the bullets to red ball.

It's now one of my favourite games
                    Mind Blown
                    I had EXACTLY the same issue and never understood why people liked it so much.

Best crack it open and retry it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I've loved the puzzle nature of this game, and most of the battles ... but this last one is just zapping my energy, right at the finish line (I think).
                      The final boss is as much of a puzzle as the rest of the game. Maybe nip over to GameFAQs/Youtube?

Are you playing Prime 2 after? I'd highly recommend you start immediately after this as the difficulty kind of follows through directly after the first game.

Comment

Cheers [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION]. I think I've sussed the pattern of weapons on phase one and visors on phase two, it's just putting it all together in a relatively flawless run. I don't really want to consult a walk through and just go through the motions. I think it'll be a case of me going back in when I don't feel burnt out by attempts like I did yesterday and the day before.

As for Echoes, hmmm, I have it but I've heard it's pretty tough ... I think I'm going to choose something bright and breezy next tbh, either Pikmin or Luigi's Mansion

Comment

Been playing Pikmin. There's something nice about collecting stuff in those little outdoor environs. It's relaxing, even though you're on the clock. And my favourite part is the feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day when dusk comes along, the music kicks in and your Pikmin take off, avoiding predatory beasties after dark

One of the happiest, feel-good games ever.

Comment

Been in a bit of a WW2 retro gaming phase recently.

Keep on going back to Xbox Brothers in Arms: Earned In Blood. It is significantly flawed, as I think I've said here before, but still very playable. Re-doing it on the hardest, disingenuously named "Authentic" difficulty, oddly, has been both deeply annoying and enjoyably satisfying.

Also re-playing WW2 flight combat game Xbox Heroes Of The Pacific - average for its type in all departments and a script you often want to punch somebody in the face for writing. You know the sort of thing: beat the Japanese pretty much on your own but then get bawled out over the radio by a prat commanding officer and threatened with court marshal for 'only' sinking 11 of 12 ships or shooting down 29 of 30 aircraft. If you want an OK WW2 flight combat game it plays well enough if you can live with that sort of nonsense.

Comment

Been spending some time with my PSP recently, hadn't picked it up in years and have loved it. Playing games like Ridge Racers and Wipeout are still great fun. Also loving the amount of fan translated JRPGs out there to try.

Comment

Ive finally cracked, its taken all these years but i've finally made friends with Yoshi's Island. I could never get around the mechanics, didnt want to as I wanted to play MW2. Its actually alright.

Bit of Gradius III until cramp set in, despo need to get a stick.

Comment

Working...
                                X