No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still pushing on through Jigoku Meguri. On to the last stage now, which is literally its namesake - Travelling through hell!
    Super tough insta-death, crazy tricky jumps/dodges. I made it there in 1 credit this morning and used all 9 lives trying to figure out the first 2 screens! Still intend to see it out but I think the last level is going to take some learning.

Also started messing around with Rayxanber 3. Seems like a great shooter!
    Took me AGES to beat the first boss however with infinite continues so was able to do it eventually. Great sense of achievement though as it’s a real progression of moving to exact spots to avoid things.
    The 2nd stage was super cool too with half the stage being under water, which changes your ship speed. Made an interesting dynamic of going in or staying out of the water.

Think I might have to limit my use of the continues for this one. I’m happy to sit and grind something like the first boss to figure it out but don’t want to just brute force my way through.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I've played all sorts of water-based racing games, but none have come close to delivering the wave physics and overall realistic feel that Wave Race has. It also feels really satisfying and fun to play, so the developer made sure the gameplay keeps you coming back for more.
      Many games feature better water, but none have seemed to get the physics or weight right. Wave Race 64 did .

That's funny, because I also have great memories of playing it with my brother
      Same here . Got the game a couple of days after it came out in the USA. The 2 player mode wasn't that good, but the single player section was amazing.. Iike I said... my brother isn't really into racing games, but kept asking me to hand the N64 pad over and it was his turn to play the game . We both had the day off work and mum was in work (so had the N64 set up to the big living room Crt) and we must have played the game soild from 10AM (when the postman came) to 16:30 when mum came home and started making food.

It was one of those amazing games where the time flies by and you can't believe how long you been playing it for and don't quite believe the clock lol

Comment

Been playing ESP Ra.De. on the RetroPie. Never played it before but really enjoying what I've experienced so far. Just getting my head around the mechanics and for an older Cave title it actually feels like a breath of fresh air. It's quality.

I have one of my TE2s set up with the Pie now which has upped the awesomeness even further

Comment

I thought that would be one of the games you went for mate.

I tested all the Cave stuff before I sent it down to you, Dodonpachi Bee Storm seemed to be the only one not working.

I got a bit of Mega CD Silpheed up and running last night. No, it's in no way a great shooter, but there's just something about it I've always liked. I still remember watching the intro over and over again when I bought it back on release, and how my jaw hit the floor at this moment when the big ship gets blown to smithereens!

Comment

The same guys that made Wave Race so great also worked on 1080 Snowboarding. The snow felt great on that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              It was one of those amazing games where the time flies by and you can't believe how long you been playing it for and don't quite believe the clock lol
              I can still play it for a few hours - and then realise time has flown by. There's something about the gameplay and overall upbeat vibe of the game that makes it really addictive.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              I got a bit of Mega CD Silpheed up and running last night. No, it's in no way a great shooter, but there's just something about it I've always liked. !
              It looked and felt like something special at the time. It was actually an MCD worth owning next to most of the rubbish for the system. The graphics still look quite nice in a very retro way, and it offers decent blasting action. I like the overall design and charm of the game.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              The same guys that made Wave Race so great also worked on 1080 Snowboarding. The snow felt great on that game.
              I remember some reviewers went crazy about 1080, saying it was absolutely brilliant. I remember buying it and thinking it looked really nice and played well, but I don't think I appreciated the depth of the game. I've never been into snowboarding games enough to get good at them.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-08-2018, 06:56.

Comment

Like Wave Race I don't think it's been bettered. It's pretty much the definitive snowboarding game.

Comment

Agree about 1080. There’s something about the stance of character + animation that just absolutely nails the feeling of riding a snowboard.

Managed to finish Jigoku Meguri this morning. Super chuffed with this. Actually managed to do it in a credit as I nailed the first 6 stages and had built up a stock of lives. The last stage is pretty brutal but nothing you can’t figure out.

Actually made me think about Dark Souls vs Old School.
                  People talk about how amazing DS is - prepare to die, treat death as learning etc. but all it’s really doing is recreating an old school situation.
                  I remember watching a video about DS and the person saying if speak to anyone about DS and they’ll be able to draw you a map and enemy location from memory and having just finished Jigoku Meguri, I can tell you I could draw a map and enemy location of this game no problem!

I think this learning is an essential part of playing and why its easy to get bored playing a lot of modern games. It’s definitely the reason I’m drawn back to playing retro.

Comment

G-Darius, id always looked down my nose at this a bit having 3D graphics and being a massive fan of Gaiden, but stuck it on tonight and feeling it big time now, some great music and stages.

Are there any advantages having the full release, playing this on Taito Legends 2?

Comment

More Metroid Prime. I've gotten to a point where I'm not quite sure where I need to go (map keeps flashing up a question mark in the frigate crash site but when I get there everything's hunky dory). However, in mooching around I'm finding new places and objectives further afield. It's pure exploration. Proper lonely sci-fi.

Shame my gamecube's acting up (sometimes won't spin the drive when I switch it on and goes straight to the system options).

Comment

Man alive, the save points can be cruel in Prime ... it has that Dark Souls 'shall I soldier on round that corner or shall I try the other way first?' factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                          G-Darius, id always looked down my nose at this a bit having 3D graphics and being a massive fan of Gaiden, but stuck it on tonight and feeling it big time now, some great music and stages.

Are there any advantages having the full release, playing this on Taito Legends 2?
                          Think the TL2 collection is 480i. 240p on the ps1

Comment

Yeah thats right tho tbh g darius looks less noticable compared to the 2D games on there, think ill stick!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Man alive, the save points can be cruel in Prime ... it has that Dark Souls 'shall I soldier on round that corner or shall I try the other way first?' factor.
                              Have you gone through the Phazon Mines yet? That place is a real gauntlet.

Comment

That's exactly where I'm at [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] ... I just gave it another go and retraced my steps a fair bit quicker knowing how to do two puzzles. Turns out I was right outside where I needed to be before I doubled back and took some unnecessary heat. Anyway, just got the

Super Bomb

and managed to save my game. Phew. Onwards and upwards/downwards, etc

Comment

Working...
                                X