Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
    Purchased one of those HD Dreamcast cables from Ebay. My advice is don't bother if you have a VGA cable. Not impressed, my official Dreamcast vga with cheap HD adapter is far sharper.

VGA

HD

****e cable
    Amazing! That crap cable turned the bus into a camper van!

Comment

I bought a NEET VGA to HDMI converter S3M recommended for about £25 on Amazon. You need to play with the settings on it to get it looking right, but once you have done the picture is actually very good.

Comment

Recapped Amiga 600 is back, ide to sd adapter just arrived too along with another 1mb of chip ram. So tonight Matthew I will be setting that up. Just ordered a furia 68020 accelerator with 9.5mb fast memory too. It’s gonna be a monster! Expect to see my a2000 in the trading section too. I love it to bits it don’t have the room really. Pics once all set up and tidied back up.

Comment

Never had a 600, always liked them aesthetically but I always stuck with my A500. All the Amiga posts had me all sentimental for the machine and replayed a couple of games on the pi last week, still great.

Comment

Yeah back in the day the 600 made zero sense. The X000 machines were what you really wanted and a 500 was just a better but bigger 600. Fast forward to today though and all the enhancements are for the 600 and 1200 (and 500 to be fair) and the big box machines need old used expensive hardware if you want to enhance them. The 600 is so dinky! But I can accelerate it, shove ram and a hard drive in there and even a flicker fixer and WiFi! All in that little box. So, that’s the path I’m going down. Should be playing rainbow islands later tonight and might start monkey island again

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              Never had a 600, always liked them aesthetically but I always stuck with my A500. All the Amiga posts had me all sentimental for the machine and replayed a couple of games on the pi last week, still great.
              Have you played the unreleased port of Snow Bros? You can choose to use a 2 button joypad -- and it's a very solid port in all areas. Feels like a console game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                Have you played the unreleased port of Snow Bros? You can choose to use a 2 button joypad -- and it's a very solid port in all areas. Feels like a console game.
                That was by Ocean France. The ONLY section of Ocean that didn't suck ass. And what's worse is that Ocean of France hand the best arcade game ports ever developed for the Amiga go unreleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  Yeah back in the day the 600 made zero sense. The X000 machines were what you really wanted and a 500 was just a better but bigger 600. Fast forward to today though and all the enhancements are for the 600 and 1200 (and 500 to be fair) and the big box machines need old used expensive hardware if you want to enhance them. The 600 is so dinky! But I can accelerate it, shove ram and a hard drive in there and even a flicker fixer and WiFi! All in that little box. So, that’s the path I’m going down. Should be playing rainbow islands later tonight and might start monkey island again
                  I got the HC508 for my 500, really pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Yeah back in the day the 600 made zero sense.
                    That's the Amiga I had. I've always loved it more and always thought it looked so much better. Just wish I never gave mine away for nothing

Comment

I had an A500 back in the day, then upgrading to an A1200 in the mid-nineties, and then up to an A4000 in the late nineties. In fact I had two A4ks in the end, an ‘040 Commodore model and an ‘030 Escom as the memory SIMM slots in the ‘040 became busted. Had a Cyberstorm Mk II ‘060 and a Picasso IV and boy, what a nice setup it was. I love all the models, A600 included, and don’t really have a favourite. The A3000 is intriguing as I have never owned one, and the A600 appealing for its form factor.

If ever I did get back into the Amiga I’d probably opt for an A600 due to its compact size, especially as now there are reasonably priced accelerator cards/memory expansion for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        That was by Ocean France. The ONLY section of Ocean that didn't suck ass. And what's worse is that Ocean of France hand the best arcade game ports ever developed for the Amiga go unreleased.
                        Yeah, they were a very talented dev. Snow Bros is full screen, has music and sound effects, and an option to use a multi button joypad. It really shows how good the hardware was in capable hands.

When you look at the small group of truly good Amiga games, it really puts into perspective how poor a lot of titles were. Some devs just didn't respect the machine or know how to make the most of it.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-11-2018, 12:16.

Comment

The Amiga had great hardware, by far the best out there during the eighties, and certainly enough to compete with the 16-bit consoles during the early/mid-nineties. We all know why it fell short all too often.

What I wonder is what might’ve happened had Commodore licenced the hardware to a Japanese manufacturer(s) a la Microsoft with the MSX? When I look at the very pretty but ultimately crap Elfmania, I wonder what Capcom could’ve done with the hardware had they handled the SF2 port themselves? Looking at the stunning Lionheart, what might Konami have produced had they released a version of Castlevania for the machine? Might it have had similar quality output to the X68k and FM Towns? Sure the specs weren’t quite up to those machines on the stock A500 but I’m pretty sure the A1200 was there or thereabouts.

You’d have still had the other issues which plagued the platform, namely flagrant piracy and single button controller, but these could have sorted themselves out if the platform gained traction outside of Europe. Build them and they will come.

Having said this I still do have a soft spot for the Miggy. There are lots of great games if you look past the poor arcade ports, generic platformers and Euro shmups, and games on it had a look and sound that was quite unique.

Comment

Do any of these new accelerator add-on cards for the Amiga 600 allow the 600 to play AGA software?

Miss my old A1200. Had a few add-ons including a vast(!) 80Mb hard drive. Sold it for next to nothing in 2003. Wish I still had it, Amiga emulation I’ve never had much success with.

Comment

I think the Vampire 600 v2.1 will allow you to run AGA stuff. And the CPU core is really fast for an Amiga. Nearly €400 though.

Comment

Wait for v4 of vampire for full aga.

Comment

Working...
                                X