Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
    Is anyone old enough to remember Advance console entertainments super colour enhancement mods for super famicom? In the ads in CVG they had a dull image from pilotwings and then a quite bright saturated one post mod, do SFC's give a dull image as standard?
    It was probably a booster for RF or composite signals. A standard Super Famicom with RGB scart into a decent CRT, gives a really nice sharp, clear image with vivid colours. Everyone I knew just bought an NTSC SNES and plugged it into RGB scart without needing any sort of mod.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    I think this is the appeal for production grade monitors honestly.
    Yeah, they seem to stand the test of time more than standard televisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      No harm done, it'll sell easily enough.

This weeks arrivals other than a pointless SFC -

Beautiful, I love Zanac Neo! If you're ever going to sell this on, Colin...
      Last edited by Decider-VT; 19-09-2015, 07:35.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
        Are all those serials supposed to have the 1 chip in? I've not had my snes out for ages. Need to sort out my cable situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
          Beautiful, I love Zanac Neo! If you're ever going to sell this on, Colin...
          I'm actually getting on with it much better this time than the last time I had it Barrie. I think the issue last time was that I was sold it as being comparable to Soldier Blade, which I really don't think it is, and it really stopped me enjoying it as to me it's not as good a game. Had a great hour on it last night though, and taking it without comparing it elsewhere made it much more enjoyable.

I'm trying to really change my approach with retro, and only have things I really like across much more platforms, and it seems to be working as I'm really enjoying my set up. I think maybe when you focus mainly on one system it can become a little stale, the variety I have now is superb.

Comment

Originally posted by acidbearboy View Post
            Are all those serials supposed to have the 1 chip in? I've not had my snes out for ages. Need to sort out my cable situation.
            Just the ones with 1chip in the pcb column. But Colin bought one that was exception :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              I'm trying to really change my approach with retro, and only have things I really like across much more platforms, and it seems to be working as I'm really enjoying my set up. I think maybe when you focus mainly on one system it can become a little stale, the variety I have now is superb.
              Same here, I'm 'trying' to go for a good balance of iconic faves and (relative) minimalism across my favourite consoles which means everdrives for MD and PCE, probably US snes in the future too and keep looking out for MVS/AES and Saturn games all through my PVM.

I can't really justify the Wondermega M2 but I think I'll hold on to that even if it is only SVideo.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                My Sony Trinitron got dumped by someone who thought I didn't want it anymore. Then I bought a B&O, but didn't like the curved screen, and the image wasn't as nice as a Trinitron.

I remember using all sorts of CRTs televisions in the '90s - and the image quality through RGB varied a lot. My parents had a Toshiba - and the RGB image with a SNES was quite soft compared to my Sony. My mate had a cheap screen that really gave a soft RGB image.

I probably won't buy another CRT, as I would think most of them have really degraded over time. Of course, if I could get a mint CRT, or one that has been adjusted to look like a good CRT does when it's new, then I'd buy one. I will wait and see, as my current home is tiny, and I'm planning to move to a bigger house.

I do love the way a top quality CRT looks.

I'm just saying that the extreme sharpness you get with emulators, where it really accentuates the blockiness of really old games, was seen as a bad thing. Of course, with scanlines on a CRT or Framemeister, even an oversharp image looks OK. Scanlines are the most important thing when it comes to retro gaming.

I think a 1-CHIP compensates for a lack of sharpness on a CRT that isn't delivering a top quality image for one reason or another. A standard SNES with a quality cable and a new Trinitron, really does look sharp and vibrant. The 1-CHIP is for people who need that extra bit of sharpness. Maybe a standard SNES can have its sharpness ramped up a bit? But as I use a Framemeister, I don't need to think about that, unless I go back to using a CRT. I will think about that option when I move home.
                I have the best cables for most systems. My Toshiba crt has an amazing image. All systems bar the SNES look super sharp on it. The SNES doesn't have the output quality that the MD, PS1, Saturn etc have. It's just not as sharp.

Either my current SNES is faulty and I don't think it is, or your memory of the system is perhaps not 100% accurate.
                Last edited by nakamura; 19-09-2015, 14:43.

Comment

Okay, explain to me, what is a 1CHIP SNES, and why is the picture better?
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

It is a redesign. It combines the functionality of two chips in previous revisions. It is sharper, and also brighter. Because it is brighter, I added 100ohm resistors instead of the usual 75ohm ones to give it a more similar output to a normal Super Famicom.

Last edited by speedlolita; 19-09-2015, 15:05.

Comment

SHVC-CPU-01 on my PVM-20M4E.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                        Either my current SNES is faulty and I don't think it is, or your memory of the system is perhaps not 100% accurate.
                        All I can say is, I bought a Sony Trinitron brand new in 1992 and the image from my US SNES was immaculate: sharp, no noise, no lines, vibrant, and vivid colours.
                        At that time, I had been used to consoles and computers through RGB into a monitor, so I knew what sharpness and clarity was all about, as a monitor doesn't soften the image at all. I've always had the opinion that a standard SNES has probably the best image from any console, as it's not crazily sharp(I don't like the overdrive look), nor does it exhibit noise and other issues. Maybe I was just really lucky with my console, cable and television combination? I can only say the image was sharper than what people post pics of a standard SNES image looking like in 1-CHIP comparisons.

When I read American threads about the 1-CHIP, some people moan about the SNES having all sorts of problems - lines, banding, noise, muted colours, softness etc.. - but I can't relate to any of those issues. Some people have said that the 1-CHIP delivers an oversharp image, though, but that can be a good thing depending on your screen. I have a suspicion that the 1-CHIP is only really a benefit for old CRT screens that aren't delivering a perfect image due to age - and for LCD screens that mostly soften the image. In both cases, the extra bit of sharpness becomes a nice bonus to make the SNES look like it would have done on a brand new top quality CRT in the early-90s.

At the moment I have a US SNES and Japanese Super Famicom. When I put them through the Framemeister with scanlines, the image is totally mint. If I bump the sharpness up to +1, I get that oversharp emulator look. I think the 1-CHIP through the Framemeister must give the 'emulator look' without adjusting the sharpness.

So, from what I can gather, the 1-CHIP is worth owning if you're using an old CRT or an LCD without a Framemeister. If you're using a Framemeister the standard SNES looks great. And if you want that oversharp look, bump the sharpness up to +1.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2015, 11:11.

Comment

I use a CRT now though. Not in 1992. Mine is not based on memory. All of my consoles bar the SNES have very good image quality. There is nothing wrong with the image on my CRT. I've yet to see a better one. You cannot even compare with using a Framemeister. It gives a false image.

Comment

I think you're just going to have to agree to disagree here lads.

Comment

Fightttttttt!!!!!

CRT always wins though - no latency. All processors have latency, no matter how small. Might as well use an emulator if you're going the Framemeister route.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                                I use a CRT now though. Not in 1992. Mine is not based on memory. All of my consoles bar the SNES have very good image quality. There is nothing wrong with the image on my CRT. I've yet to see a better one. You cannot even compare with using a Framemeister. It gives a false image.
                                All I'm really saying is, a 1-CHIP gives an oversharp image like a Mega Drive and other old consoles using the best RGB cables(maybe using CSYNC). Having an oversharp image is important when using old CRTs and modern LCD screens, as it gives the sharpness a nice boost. If you had a brand new Sony Trinitron in the early-90s, the screen was delivering a level of clarity that really was stunning.

I'm not saying your CRT is bad in any way, as CRTs naturally degrade with time, so I respect the fact that you've strived to get the sharpest image from each console. If I were using a CRT, I'd probably also need to make sure the sharpness is maximised to compensate for an old CRT's degraded(of course to varying degrees) image quality. That doesn't mean an old CRT doesn't trump a Framemeister, as I agree that a CRT television or monitor that is in good condition looks nicer than a Framemeister for various reasons.

When I mention the SNES running through a Framemesiter, it's to highlight that a standard machine looks really nice, and that adjusting the Framemeister sharpness to +1 gives me that oversharp emulator look similar to a 1-CHIP. As I don't need that extra sharpness, I just leave the Framemeister on its standard setting.

So, I won't deny the benefit in sharpness that a 1-CHIP has, but that's in the context of having to use CRT screens that are old. I'm all for maximising image quality on old consoles, as I've been a bit obsessed with image quality since first using RGB with my Amiga and Mega Drive. If I decide to go back to using CRTs, when I have some space, I will probably hunt down a 1-CHIP SNES.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-09-2015, 11:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X