Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
    What does the pro give you over the standard?
    Nothing for now, more a design update if anything. Has headroom for the future though.

Comment

Seeing the SNES Mini will be discontinued, I decided to grab another one. I saw a new US version for sale, so because I like the controllers that have two concave buttons, I thought it would be a nice alternative to my Euro SNES Mini. I'll try to hack it with more USB storage for other systems.

I know lots of people hate the US design, but I had one to go alongside my SFC back in the 90s, and I grew quite fond of it.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-03-2019, 21:32.

Comment

Payday arrived, now to add to my PS1 library it's going to be a hard choice weither i try and get all the parodius games this month or get all the pop n music games instead. All 3 parodius games however are pretty expensive and sexy parodius is a pain to find for playstation especially in nice condition it seems most of the ones on ebay are in trash shape or use stock photos.

But i did buy this masterpiece, sadly the last time Konami would use the twinbee franchise for a shooting game but it went out with a blast the game is amazing from the sung anime intro to the fully voiced characters which pop up while you play to the fantastic use of background scrolling when you preform a loop or barrel roll. I only ever played twinbee on Nintendo consoles i had no idea how amazing this game was till i tried it on my playstation mini and was blown away with how good it is. Not a cheap title but well worth the money

Also picked up Twinbee taisen puzzle dama as it has the original puzzle dama game built in as well which makes it a hell of a lot easier than trying to get the original release as most copies i have seen are either scratched or sunfaded.
        Last edited by importaku; 27-03-2019, 12:29.

Comment

Aaaaand im skint again LOL

Hobby funds all used up for another month, but i purchased a good chunk of PS1 goodness i can go for the rest of the missing parodius/pop n games next month. Just bought....

Version 2 of the pop n controller this one is way better than the first version but sadly due to age most are yellowed, think i can retrobright the tiny bit of yellowing off this one. Although in a month or so's time i'll be coughing up for the arcade controller if there are still some on ebay around then, always wanted the full sized one.

pop n 2

pop n 3

pop n 4

pop n disney tunes

pop n anime melody

Gokujou parodius deluxe pack

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
            Payday arrived, now to add to my PS1 library it's going to be a hard choice weither i try and get all the parodius games this month or get all the pop n music games instead. All 3 parodius games however are pretty expensive and sexy parodius is a pain to find for playstation especially in nice condition it seems most of the ones on ebay are in trash shape or use stock photos.
            It's such a shame they're so expensive and Sexy is hard to find. All of them are absolutely brilliant.

I was playing Parodius games on the SFC the other day -- and they always put a smile on my face. The 32-bit console versions have the benefit of even more impressive graphics.

But i did buy this masterpiece, sadly the last time Konami would use the twinbee franchise for a shooting game but it went out with a blast the game is amazing from the sung anime intro to the fully voiced characters which pop up while you play to the fantastic use of background scrolling when you preform a loop or barrel roll. I only ever played twinbee on Nintendo consoles i had no idea how amazing this game was till i tried it on my playstation mini and was blown away with how good it is. Not a cheap title but well worth the money
            I remember really liking it back in the day. As you say, it's very impressive in all areas. Such a charming shoot 'em up that's a joy to play through.

Comment

Its a shame you don't have a Japanese Saturn. Twinbee and all Parodius games are a little better on that system. Higher audio quality, faster loading times if any and I heard more graphical 2D effects. It would be interesting to see both side by side.

The Sharp X68000 also has a nice port of one of the Twinbee games.
              Last edited by Yakumo; 28-03-2019, 13:30.

Comment

I noticed the saturn versions are a hell of a lot easier to find even on ebay for one copy of sexy parodius on playstation there's 10 on saturn. I have no idea why the playstation version seems so much harder to find, might have to turn to yahoo to get a decent copy. Would be interesting to see the saturn & ps1 versions side by side to see how they differ.

Comment

I have no idea why the playstation version seems so much harder to find, might have to turn to yahoo to get a decent copy.
                  Maybe it's because publishers felt that Saturn owners were more likely to be interested in 2D games, so they printed more copies than they did for the PlayStation. Just look at how many shoot 'em ups and 2D games in the general the Saturn received.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-03-2019, 22:58.

Comment

I noticed the saturn versions are a hell of a lot easier to find even on ebay for one copy of sexy parodius on playstation there's 10 on saturn. I have no idea why the playstation version seems so much harder to find, might have to turn to yahoo to get a decent copy. Would be interesting to see the saturn & ps1 versions side by side to see how they differ.
                    They do crop up fairly often, I got a nice PS1 copy about 6 months ago from Japan on eBay

Comment

Well that sucks i get in today to find the seller who i had bought that copy of twinbee puzzle dama from has cancelled my auction as he says he can't find it and must have sold it.

Soooo it looks like i had a bit of money free again so i bought the remaining 2 pop n games instead, yay full ps1 set now. Praying none have been used to play air hockey with, ps1 games can scratch if you even look at them funny.

Comment

Soooo it looks like i had a bit of money free again so i bought the remaining 2 pop n games instead, yay full ps1 set now.
                        I hadn't heard of the series before. It's cool that you completed the set.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          Along with beatmania and DDR it's one of the 3 original core konami music game series, sadly one that i never really got to try properly i have only ever owned the first 2 games on dreamcast before i got rid of it all. Then i later bought the first one back for ps1 but now i can finally enjoy all the others i never got to play. Goes upto 13 but the rest are on PS2, it's a fun series if you enjoy rhythm games but they do require a lot of practice and also need a controller to enjoy properly as playing them on a ps1 pad is not great at all.

After i get the last few parodius games i shall be targeting the beatmania series there's a crazy amount of releases even if i just stick to ps1. Only ever played the uk release which was absolute crap, the song list was terrible and the bundled controller was vile and cheap. Will be great to try it out properly via the japanese originals although it's not going to be cheap to get one of the pro dj controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                            They do crop up fairly often, I got a nice PS1 copy about 6 months ago from Japan on eBay
                            I'll have to keep more of a closer eye on ebay for one of the nicer copies. Although i can't do anything till next month even if i spot one lol, good to know that they do turn up often though hopefully that means i'll be lucky if i stay patient. Will give me time to appreciate the pile of games i have just bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              Dude, you've never heard of Pop'n Music? There even 3 games of it on the Dreamcast. There about 15 in the total series. Some are pretty crappy but others kick arse. I used to love playing the anime one in the Arcade. Many classic 80s themes in that game.

Comment

Twinbee yahoo was the first one to turn up, been a long & tiring week in the lab at work just got in to find this waiting for me. Looking forward to getting this on after i have had a nice long soak, totally pristine copy the seller took great care in shipping. Now safely nestled away in a protector.

Comment

Working...
                                X