Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION]

Nice collection of Saturn classics, plus Final Fight CD.

It's a shame about the gun not working -- Virtua Cop 1 & 2 are really fun.

Comment

Somehow I talked myself into want a Japanese 3DO. One appeared in the Netherlands and then this happened.

Any quick recommendations? I've never owned one of these before.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I still have my import FZ-1 that I got for my birthday in '94. Have another one that I bought for a cheap price when no-one wanted retro stuff like the 3DO.

My recommendations:

Road Rash - It's the best 3DO racing game and still fun to play.
        Escape from Monster Manor - A fairly enjoyable maze game with some nice effects.
        Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - It's not a 100% perfect, but it plays well and the music is pumping.
        BattleSport - A reasonably fun 3D arena combat game.
        Novastorm - An FMV shoot 'em up that's quite impressive.
        Off-World Interceptor - Really shows off the hardware, even if it's not a great game.

The 3DO has no security protection, so will play burned discs. It's all 'region free' so PAL games will run 'full screen' on an NTSC machine.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-05-2019, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I still have my import FZ-1 that I got for my birthday in '94. Have another one that I bought for a cheap price when no-one wanted retro stuff like the 3DO.

My recommendations:

Road Rash - It's the best 3DO racing game and still fun to play.
          Escape from Monster Manor - A fairly enjoyable maze game with some nice effects.
          Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - It's not a 100% perfect, but it plays well and the music is pumping.
          BattleSport - A reasonably fun 3D arena combat game.
          Novastorm - An FMV shoot 'em up that's quite impressive.
          Off-World Interceptor - Really shows off the hardware, even if it's not a great game.
          Some great ides there I would also add:

Return Fire
          Samurai Shodown

Oh and Star Control II

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
            Some great ides there I would also add:
            Return Fire
            Samurai Shodown
            Yeah, they're really good. Return Fire is fun with another player. Samurai Showdown really impressed me back in the day.

I remember there weren't many good 3DO games being released, so I would buy anything that seemed decent. My collection consisted of around 16 games by the end of the machine's life. It's a shame the 3DO's library is so limited when it comes to quality.

Need for Speed is worth checking out, but it's a bit too slow and clunky these days. Although, some people still enjoy it. It's not bad.

Oh and Star Control II
            I have a mint boxed copy of that somewhere. I was hoping it would become valuable, but it never did.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-05-2019, 18:36.

Comment

Sell it?

Comment

I’ve always liked the design of the FZ-10, simplistic but yet very slick looking. Certainly more interesting than all the other square boxes with a disc drive in the middle.

Comment

Yeah, they're really good. Return Fire is fun with another player. Samurai Showdown really impressed me back in the day.

I remember there weren't many good 3DO games being released, so I would buy anything that seemed decent. My collection consisted of around 16 games by the end of the machine's life. It's a shame the 3DO's library is so limited when it comes to quality.

Need for Speed is worth checking out, but it's a bit too slow and clunky these days. Although, some people still enjoy it. It's not bad.

I have a mint boxed copy of that somewhere. I was hoping it would become valuable, but it never did.
                  Yeh it was a very small library and an even smaller list of AAA titles but it really impressed me back in the day. Shame it never really got the backing it deserved.

I had hours of fun playing FIFA and Return Fire multiplayer, even if you did need to daisy chain controllers!!!
                  Last edited by dyer60; 20-05-2019, 18:55.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                    I’ve always liked the design of the FZ-10, simplistic but yet very slick looking. Certainly more interesting than all the other square boxes with a disc drive in the middle.
                    I think the other units look pretty naff honestly. Plus the tray on the FZ-1 just seemed like another point of failure. Just have to explore the library some now and see if it's worth looking into an RGB mod...

Comment

3DO is a cool system plenty of fun to be had.

Return Fire is the bomb and Strahl possibly the greatest Dragons Lair clone ever made.

Think about getting one again all the time.

Comment

The guy who makes the Dreamcast USB-GD Controller also makes a USB Host Controller for the 3DO… http://3do-renovation.ru/USB_Host_for_FZ10.htm

Also, what’s the port of SSF2 Turbo like; is it arcade perfect?
                        Last edited by _SD_; 20-05-2019, 20:11.

Comment

I hear it's a good port, but I don't have a 6B pad so I won't bother for now.

Comment

Plus the tray on the FZ-1 just seemed like another point of failure.

I've always loved the styling of the FZ-1. The granite effect top also looks cool.

My original 1994 machine is still going strong. Panasonic must have used top quality parts.

Just have to explore the library some now and see if it's worth looking into an RGB mod...
                            I'd have the mod if it were cheap. I've always used S-Video, which looks good. I had a box that took the S-Video signal and converted it to RGB Scart.

Yeh it was a very small library and an even smaller list of AAA titles but it really impressed me back in the day.
                            I bought it for Crash N Burn, which seemed amazing at the time. Then I enjoyed Way of the Warrior. Slayer was also a nice surprise, seeing I don't usually like RPG/Adventure style games. After that, Road Rash blew me away, and Need for Speed was quite stunning for its time.

Shame it never really got the backing it deserved.
                            Yeah, it didn't get many good games. And it was dead by the end of 1995.

even if you did need to daisy chain controllers!!!
                            Yeah, it's funny how you had to do that. And the controllers have headphone sockets.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

Also, what’s the port of SSF2 Turbo like; is it arcade perfect?
                            It lacks a bit of parallax -- and a few little graphical features -- but feels very much like the arcade version. The CD music is really good.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-05-2019, 20:42.

Comment

It's a shame about the gun not working -- Virtua Cop 1 & 2 are really fun.
                              I've done a bit of googling on the issue but 99% of searches relate to using lightguns on LCD TVs. I'm not ready to give up yet though so hopefully something turns up.

Comment

I hear it's a good port, but I don't have a 6B pad so I won't bother for now.
                                You also have a Supergun which can play the original CPS2

Comment

Working...
                                X