Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Lovely old school pick up and so nice to see a lack of Japanese in the pickup. Don't get me wrong I love the Japanese stuff, but there were other players back in the day
    *nudges konami disk out of sight*

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      *nudges konami disk out of sight*
      Elite for the WIN

Comment

The machine works, even had a go on Leather Goddesses of Phobos, which I’ve never on seen online for the tatty.

Comment

That Einstein pick up is inspiring what a fascinating period in computing.

Comment

Loads of rares in this lot, I need to get them imaged and online so everyone can enjoy them.

Comment

Yeah, I’m super jealous of all that old and exotic 80s kit. I’ve always had this crazy idea about buying an Oric Atmos or Dragon 32, the kind of micros I used to read about in the Usborne books I’d take out from my school library, and give them a spin to find out what they were like. But as per the “selling off your kit” thread, I’m way past all of that.

Still, the Einstein looks to be a really nice piece of kit, more powerful than its peers of the time, and I’m sure I could pile days into exploring its library and dabbling in BASIC. Like a pig in sh*t, I’d be.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                Loads of rares in this lot, I need to get them imaged and online so everyone can enjoy them.
                Not even just for others to enjoy, floppy media is fragile at best but as it gets older it’s wise to archive onto something more stable especially games that haven’t been dumped. Curious how easy it is to do for the Einstein as I know certain floppy formats look similar but getting them backed up to a pc and also the reverse sometimes needs special hardware to do so. It’s kind of intriguing as although I’m from the era these computers hailed from it’s a totally unknown one for me. As a kid I was only ever exposed to the super common ones like spect/c64/amstrad ect.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  Not even just for others to enjoy, floppy media is fragile at best but as it gets older it’s wise to archive onto something more stable especially games that haven’t been dumped. Curious how easy it is to do for the Einstein as I know certain floppy formats look similar but getting them backed up to a pc and also the reverse sometimes needs special hardware to do so. It’s kind of intriguing as although I’m from the era these computers hailed from it’s a totally unknown one for me. As a kid I was only ever exposed to the super common ones like spect/c64/amstrad ect.
                  Just weighing up my options, I have a sd card thingy but it's a bit temperamental. I'm trying to set up a Hxc sd floppy drive, but I could also dump them to 3.5" disks, then image those on pc. Hopefully once it's sorted, I'll be all set.

Comment

I managed to get one of these from Germany(exactly the same as the UK product) for £93 including P&P, so not jumping in and paying the Ebay price paid off. The German company also included a UK plug in the box, which amazed me.

The machine looks even nicer in person -- and the keys feel really good, even if they're not exactly the same as the original. There's a bit of weight to the machine, despite it not having much tech inside. The joystick is good quality and feels nice. I'll be having a good session with it later today.

It may be emulation, but it's a nice bit of kit for the price, and a good way for people to dabble with the C64 to see if they might like to own an FPGA or genuine hardware. I'm looking forward to exploring the C64 again and enjoying some of the modern homebrew games.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-01-2020, 09:41.

Comment

Had a C64 for many years as a kid, great memories of doing all sorts of stuff with it besides just games. Pretty much gave it all away in the late 90s though... something I kinda regret given today's prices, which is also why I don't think I'd go about reacquiring any of it now. Had quite literally hundreds of tapes, plus quite a few game cartridges as well (one of which was Double Dragon and supposedly quite rare? Of course I didn't know at the time, just remember it having a crappy printed label compared to my other carts!).

I'd be interested to see how well that works, does look quite authentic. You kinda have to set it up on a desk to use it properly though
                      Last edited by Hohum; 20-01-2020, 10:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post

I'd be interested to see how well that works, does look quite authentic. You kinda have to set it up on a desk to use it properly though
                        I just had a quick 20 minute go on it -- and the emulation[graphics & audio] is really good. I made sure to set it to '50Hz' when it boots up and then PAL mode. The colours have the pastels look you'd expect and the music is punchy and clear. The 720p image is clear enough and not harsh. People who like 'scanlines' will be pleased to know they look good and aren't too dark, so I'm happy with how they make the games easier on the eye.

Maybe an C64 expert would notice slight abnormalities, but it seems very authentic to me. I haven't used a proper C64 for around 25 years though, but I have regularly watched YouTube videos of C64 games. It feels like the people behind this replica know what they're doing and have done their best to deliver something that does the C64 justice.

Now I need to update the firmware and put some C64 games onto a USB stick. I had a quick blast on Cybernoid 2 and Zynaps -- and I really felt the C64 magic again, so I know I'll be spending quite a bit of time with the machine. Can't wait to play some of the excellent homebrew titles that have appeared over recent years.

Edit: I will be buying some USB extension cables and a long HDMI cable, so I can have the machine on my coffee table 7ft from the screen. I also tested the machine with a 'Saturn' USB controller and it works perfectly -- 'start' turns the interface options on/off. I've read that it also works fine with a Mega Drive USB controller, and probably with any USB controller that has 6 or more buttons.

Amazon are now stating they'll have more stock at the end of the month, so it's best to wait rather than pay £130+ for one off Ebay. Although, the German company 'Grooves.Land' I bought it from has it in stock for £96 including delivery to the UK. They sent it by UPS(took a week) and put a proper UK plug in the box.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-01-2020, 11:00.

Comment

More DS games arrived today, loopop along with idolmaster. Think i'll start out with trap chan first on that one lol.

And these 2 for approx £4 each, both have quite substantial save files on from their prev owners. One of them still has it's dragon quest battle road victory promo card which was a nice surprise for £4 i can't complain at all.
                          Last edited by importaku; 21-01-2020, 12:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Edit: I will be buying some USB extension cables and a long HDMI cable, so I can have the machine on my coffee table 7ft from the screen. I also tested the machine with a 'Saturn' USB controller and it works perfectly -- 'start' turns the interface options on/off. I've read that it also works fine with a Mega Drive USB controller, and probably with any USB controller that has 6 or more buttons.
                            Any chance you can share a link to the USB controller you have working with the 64? I've tried several on the 64 mini and never got one to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Any chance you can share a link to the USB controller you have working with the 64? I've tried several on the 64 mini and never got one to work properly.
                              I realised that my Saturn controller doesn't work perfectly -- Cybernoid 2 doesn't let me hold the fire button in. But I tried a 'Buffalo' SNES pad and it works fine, but you have to use a trigger button as 'fire'.

Someone mentioned that they have a USB Mega Drive controller that works, but I haven't got one to test.

Maybe you can configure the controller?
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-01-2020, 19:00.

Comment

I'm on holiday, but not letting that stop me.

I've wanted an external pad for my original Famicom for a while (so I can use an extension lead). Got this Sansui one for loads less than eBay, decent enough condition for day-to-day use.

Also got Victory Goal - totally mediocre football game with an amazing CD-audio soundtrack to put in the car CD player. Crappy condition but I only wanted the disc! Only about a quid.

Finally, Tokimeki Memorial Taisen Puzzle-dama in very good condition for about a fiver. This isn't for me, not because I'm ashamed at having a game that is a spin-off of a dating series, I'm just crap at block puzzlers.

Comment

Working...
                                X