No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this is another super expensive (cough as much as a ps4 pro cough) high profile game ticked off the list, had enough saved to pick this up before this paticularly mint copy sold.

GeGeGe no Kitarou Gyakushuu! Youma Daikessen.

Gegege no Kitaro is one of my top 3 all time fave anime but sadly not many good games based on this series got released most are pretty average they share the same fate as Doraemon games. I already have the DS Gegege game which is fantastic and this was the other i really wanted but i never got to own it till now due to the fact it was one of the last few PS1 games released in Japan and as such hard to get hold of as not many copies are out there. Because it's a verrrry late PS1 game Konami knew how to work their PS1 magic the animation quality is astounding, it's a very fun boss battle kind of game where you are given missions to clear as Kitaro gets letters from people who have a youkai related problem and Kitaro goes to kick some ghost ass.
    Last edited by importaku; 07-03-2020, 17:19. Reason: bloody spelling as ever lol

Comment

It looks fun from Youtube videos. The series itself is one I'm used to seeing here and there but know nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
        It looks fun from Youtube videos. The series itself is one I'm used to seeing here and there but know nothing about.
        Gegege no kitaro is a classic, it's been running since the 60's every ten years or so it's remade so a new generation of kids can see it with each season they keep some stories from the older ones or they will rework them in other ways. All the youkai that appear in the games usually are ones that appear in the manga or anime so if you are a fan you have an idea of their abilities in the game giving you a bit of an advantage. In Japan it's well loved but outside of Japan it's never really gotten the recognition it deserves with just just small batches of fan subs here and there but nobody has ever done the entire thing till now. Thankfully the 2018 series has finally been subbed so english readers can enjoy it it's nearly at the end but it's been a blast the stories can get pretty dark and Kitaro doesn't always win which is another reason why i like it as you never know quite how it's going to end, he may have powers to help fight youkai but sometimes that's not enough. If only game devs had made as much effort on the games only a few of the games are of decent quality the rest are pretty janky which is a shame as this series done right could make a fantastic horror based game using Japanese folklore as it's core.
        Last edited by importaku; 08-03-2020, 12:19.

Comment

Watching the top 200 Japan only PS1 compilation videos on youtube is a dangerous pastime lol, discovered the existance of Komocchi a weird simulation type game. Thankfully a super cheap one too at £13 and still new. Yes please i think i will, found a few other games i never knew existed like fantastep but trying to find nice copies as the art in that game is amazing from the second i laid eyes on it i wanted to have it still searching on that one.

Place your bets can i go 24 hours without buying another Japanese PS1 game lool. My collection is exploding at the moment and i love every second of it.
          Last edited by importaku; 08-03-2020, 22:48.

Comment

Momotaro densetsu turned up, pretty neat rpg with a fun artstyle & punishing encounter rates lol

Comment

I take it you’ve already rinsed Yuuyami Doori Tankentai during your quest to play every quirky Japanese PlayStation title?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                I take it you’ve already rinsed Yuuyami Doori Tankentai during your quest to play every quirky Japanese PlayStation title?
                I would like that one as it looks like a pretty interesting horror however it has a high pricetag sadly, i really should get hold of the iso to see how it is as i have only ever watched youtube videos of it. The price is too high for me to risk going in blind on that one. There's a twilight syndrome game that looks similar too that i'm also interested in.

I did pick up half of Fantastep off ebay today i say half as the spine and manual are mint and unfaded but the disk is scratched. I spotted a brand new sealed copy on Amazon Japan for about a tenner but it's listed as faded so i'll use the disk from that to make the copy pristine. Done the same to a few DS games in the past. Fantastep is pretty special it's one of those games i fell in love with at first sight the enviroments you explore have a strange quirkyness to them it pulled me right in.

A red & an orange cheapy memory card arrived today as i'm running out of space as my collection grows im running out of save space decided to complete the rainbow set.
                Last edited by importaku; 11-03-2020, 17:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  It's a good game, but that's a crazy price. It's not a really common game, but nearly £500 is way too much. But someone might pay it, seeing the game has a cult following.

Yeah all Amiga game should be about £10 now and sold as not working as the magnetic storage is now failing on all floppy disk and we need to start archiving them all now. Most of the images of Amga games on the net right now are busted pirated version, we need original images archived now along with scans of the security devices and manuals and anything else that came in the box. Else we are going to lose a lot of games.

Picked up Ninja Shadow of Darkness on PS1 this week, Saturn developed game from Core Design that never got a Saturn release, it's a scrolling beat'em up come action platformer. Also grabbed a copy of the Gamecube PAL exclusive MicroMachines and finally got a Japanese Zelda Four Swords for the excellent track mini game. That the tight arses at Nintendo didn't want to translate so removed from the western version.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  I did pick up half of Fantastep off ebay today i say half as the spine and manual are mint and unfaded but the disk is scratched.
                  Picked that up on the Saturn many year back very quirk game, must admit these days I just get the discs professionally cleaned as it's getting harder and harder to get mint stuff. Really good disc cleaners these days make the disc look as good as new. Long as it's not a label scratch, I avoid games with damage to the face side like the plague as it means the data layer will be damaged.
                  Last edited by S3M; 12-03-2020, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                    Most of the images of Amga games on the net right now are busted pirated version, we need original images archived now along with scans of the security devices and manuals and anything else that came in the box. Else we are going to lose a lot of games..
                    Amiga is the worst for this, loads of junk online.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                      Amiga is the worst for this, loads of junk online.
                      I need to get round to backing up my own floppy discs I must admit, I have the set up that can do it as well an old Windows 98 PC with a working floppy disc and set up that can read Amiga disc images.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                        I need to get round to backing up my own floppy discs I must admit, I have the set up that can do it as well an old Windows 98 PC with a working floppy disc and set up that can read Amiga disc images.
                        I saved FTC for the QL using a sector dump on my Acorn, and also did a ton magnetic dumps of tatung stuff.

Comment

I have an original tape of Matrix for the Vic that still works :-)
                          Amiga stuff is a nightmare. Everyone seems to be using WHDLoad for everything but half that stuff doesn't even work properly and is all hacked about. I never use it; always boot direct from disk images.

Found out the craziest copy protection mechanism the other day: Dungeon Master on the Amiga had 3 bits (yes actual bits, like 1/8th of a byte) that were recorded so faintly on the disk that sometimes they would read as a zero and sometimes as a one; about half and half. So, if the game read them as the same every time it tried it knew it was pirated. Took a year and a half to crack it apparently.

Comment

I have fantastep on the Saturn. Quite an interesting adventure action game with simple puzzles to solve.

Comment

i got a really nice condition Japanese MD Gynoug, with a mint manual and a reg card. i dont even have a megadrive!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                                i got a really nice condition Japanese MD Gynoug, with a mint manual and a reg card. i dont even have a megadrive!
                                I love the box art on this, really nostalgic too as it was one of the first 2 Megadrive games I got when my Aunt brought this and Quackshot back for me from a trip to Hong Kong.. played it non-stop until Sonic came along

Comment

Working...
                                X