No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV repair shop! Wow, that’s pretty cool. Yeah, having a dedicated space would be good, I still don’t have one so all my stuff is in crates that I have to pack up when needed.

I think the DC and Saturn were easier to do drop in replacements because more of the ‘gubbins’ is on the drop in optical drive unit itself. With the PS1 it’s split between the drive and the PS1 motherboard.

Comment

Yeah, I enjoyed it but unfortunately they didn't want any apprentices so that was that. Shame really, if I had the knowledge/skills there could be a good side business opportunity in repairing CRTs these days! That's something that's being lost to time as people from that era have largely retired.

Must be a bit frustrating to be working on something, only to have to pack it all away and dig it back out again later! Genuinely the only area I could work would be the dining room table, we only have a small flat so space is at a premium. When we move down the line I'll invest some time and effort, it's a skill I'd like to have with this hobby (plus all old hardware is likely to fail at some point, being able to fix it myself would be super!).

Comment

A good soldering iron is key. I was an awful solderer, until I bought my hakko and practiced and experimented. I’ve repaired my x68000 which I bought spares/repair fitted all new ram chips and sockets to my tatung, and fitted uni bios chips to some neo geos.

Comment

And fixed a bbc master after the psu blew up.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            A good soldering iron is key. I was an awful solderer, until I bought my hakko and practiced and experimented. I’ve repaired my x68000 which I bought spares/repair fitted all new ram chips and sockets to my tatung, and fitted uni bios chips to some neo geos.
            This is so you Pebble

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              I know all of those off by heart Pats hakko soldering iron.

Comment

Those story pages are amazing, haha

Comment

Learn you some learnings!

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
                    Do you play much? Or is soldering more of a hobby than retro gaming?
                    Oh I play a whole lot more than I solder, don't worry about that. I got into soldering initially to mod arcade sticks, and then I stumbled across your site and got interested in modifying video game hardware. But no I'm very much more into playing games than ****ing with hardware.
                    Last edited by speedlolita; 07-08-2020, 06:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                      Same place as toilet paper - The Daily Mail
                      Don't read that paper either . I'm a Spectator man myself .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        Don't read that paper either . I'm a Spectator man myself .
                        I’m a Spectrum man myself.

Comment

I'm am too , but it's wrong to back British these days ��

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            but it's wrong to back British these days ��

I'm a proud citizen of Britannia. All hail Lord British.

Comment

Yes, Your Sinclair > The Spectator.

I’m a Morning Star person myself. The Guardian is far too right wing for me

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I'm a proud citizen of Britannia. All hail Lord British.
                                Britannia is a bitch to invade when playing Centurion. F*** Britannia. They hardly pay any tribute either.

Comment

Working...
                                X