No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a cheap N64 from mericari and now just need a Chinese overdrive.
    I never had one as a kid, but a friend had wcw, Mario, goldeneye and lylat wars/Starfox and i played it almost as if I had, so I'm looking forward to jumping to those games as well as Conkers, etc.

Also, I think the system is underrated in the looks department. Simple yet elegant design that still looks great.

Comment

I see Mario is nervously looking at your vase of white twigs

Comment

Nice setup there.

I've always really liked the N64 boxart.

Comment

Doesn't get more retro than asteroids, my latest mini replica arcade arrived today. Tiny arcade shlowly growing in size.

Comment

Another one down just 3 to go now.

Comment

Got my DC and first game today.

First impressions of the hardware:

+I didn't realise how small the units were! I really like the form factor.
              +The boot-up sound / UI are very retro-futurism. They clearly put a lot of work into the Dreamcast's 'aesthetic'.
              +The VMU is a neat addition - even if all I've seen so far is a cool Air Pirates logo

-The controller is a bit naff. What's with the stiff analog stick?
              -The disc drive does make some nasty grinding-like sounds when loading.
              -The VMU beeps on booting when it's out of battery. Who thought that was a good idea?!

I played the first 30 mins of Eternal Arcadia, and got a nice nostalgia buzz hearing the incredible battle theme again. Also fun, if a little jarring, hearing the Japanese VA for the first time for Vyse and Aika. I definitely need to invest in upgrading from composite though - I'm struggling to read some of the text!
              Last edited by danstan21; 30-01-2021, 10:58.

Comment

They're certainly noisy old things between that fan, the disc drive and the bleeps and bloops.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
                  +The boot-up sound / UI are very retro-futurism. They clearly put a lot of work into the Dreamcast's 'aesthetic'.
                  At the time that was just futurism!

An upgrade from composite is a must. A VGA cable is the ideal, but Skies doesn't support it sadly - but definitely get yourself an RGB SCART cable in the interim. DC has a really nice RGB output.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    At the time that was just futurism!
                    Hah!

I believe it's the reverse for NTSC versions of Skies - VGA support but not RGB.

All I have access to at the moment is a budget HDTV with nowt but HDMI and composite anyway
                    Last edited by danstan21; 30-01-2021, 15:21.

Comment

Ah, OK. Interesting, I didn’t know that about Skies. I’ve had good results on my DC using a Racketboy VGA box (unsure if they still sell them) and a NEET VGA to HDMI cable from Amazon. Total price for both should be in the region of £60.

Comment

Bought these entirely separately at a secondhand store, turns out the orange controller was only released as a bundle with Chu Chu Rocket.

Sadly, it looks they never made a matching VMU.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
                          -The VMU beeps on booting when it's out of battery. Who thought that was a good idea?!
                          It's close to a 20 years since I've had one with a working battery, but I have a feeling it beeps either way, it's just a longer beep when the battery is dead!

Comment

Had a bit of a splurge. Got some proper retro:

... and some slightly less retro.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              Had a bit of a splurge. Got some proper retro:

... and some slightly less retro.

I approve of your retro buys. Well, except for fire Pro

Comment

I'm a Fire Pro newb, but it's slightly infamous one where the scenario was written by Suda51, and I've wanted to give it a look for some time now

Comment

Working...
                                X