Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
    How difficult was the installation? Im thinking about picking one of these up but hear that its quite a tricky mod. Was hoping to do one along with the PS Digital mod but that one is constantly sold out so who knows when they will come back in stock, plus I will need to change the bios apparently as it will be a Japanese console that will be modded.
    It wasn't too bad, but you'll need a soldering iron and a steady hand. Legs need isolating on IC701 (for PU-18 anyway). Have a few photos of my install to give you an idea. As for installation into a Japanese console - no issues. It seems the PSNee chip (which code is integrated into the product) can defeat the Japanese BIOS region locking. I installed this into a SCPH-5500 Japanese board so can 100% confirm that it works.

As for the PS1Digital, I believe that is a more difficult install due to the ribbon cable that is soldered directly to the GPU (iirc). So If you feel confident you can install that this should be a breeze.
    Last edited by speedlolita; 09-03-2021, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
      After being introduced to this by [MENTION=16833]QuantumLeap[/MENTION] and coming all the way from Spain, it turned up this morning:

They did a great job in general with the packaging - more pics here.

Played for about an hour this morning, and it's clear a lot of heart and soul went into the project. Somewhere between Star Fox 64 and Sin & Punishment, it's a challenging arcade on-rails shooter with alternate routes. Plenty of bright, distinct environments and a great 80s sci-fi inspired OST, some of which I was finding myself humming already. The fuedal-Japan themed level is absolutely ace There's also a ton of unlockables which, rather than your standard alt costumes or difficulty levels, are entirely separate game modes - the first of which is a 10-level tribute to Space Harrier.

I do think the press coverage has been a bit gushy though, given I hadn't read these minor, but pretty clear, faults:

1) In the main game (though weirdly not in the bonus levels) aiming with the analog stick feels off. I think it's because the game doesn't register the degree of movement, only the direction. So whether you tilt the stick slightly or slam it to the side, the cursor moves at the same pace. To offset this, there's an option to set the cursor speed, and setting it higher than the default helps but doesn't quite solve it. Direction is full analog though - no eight-way nonsense fortunately.
      2) Some of the enemies blend in with the background too much. It's also very easy to lose sight of your crosshair given the choice to make it a similar colour to your bullets.
      3) No suspend save function? While the inspiration materials obviously never had one, this game can take an hour to clear and so it seems a weird omission for a new release.

So - make sure your expectations are set to 'very good indie developer release' rather than 'genre-defining old school masterpiece' and you'll be in with a good time. Whether that's worth 50 squids admission will be personal preference...
      I've been play testing that game over the years. It has sure come a long way from what it originally was. Should be doing an unboxing and review soon once my copy arrives.

Comment

Old videogames ! Gain Ground another added to the early PAL Megadrive selection I'm building, since I usually pick up those I've started to get some Jap exclusives hence Granada and it was well cheap. Immercenary has been on the radar for a bit, looks nutty, and another EA double jewel ticked off.

Comment

Oooh, you have the HSS-0136 PS2 variant. Very slick.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Oooh, you have the HSS-0136 PS2 variant. Very slick.
            Paha Eagle eyed! Yeah got the box somewhere here too deffo a keeper. Mainly used for Mame tbh.

Comment

Arrived today from Texas , no customs either which was a bonus

Though, the no nudity is a bit of a downer lol

Comment

That looks interesting.... That battle screen looks Pokémon inspired for sure. lol

Comment

Fridays arrival, always had a soft spot for this one

Comment

All of my MiSTer bits have arrived. Now I just need to wait until my birthday (Wednesday) before I can build it.

Comment

So the SP I bought a few weeks back ended up having an intermittent issue with one of the shoulder buttons that I couldn't solve with just cleaning. Ended up having to order new shoulder buttons and swapped the working one too for good measure. I also noticed a pretty audible hum whilst playing GB/C games on the unit. The hum appears to be a normal thing but I figured I would try a solution (Link) that would eradicate it and it ended up working a treat! Very pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        Weird. My mate also has just the cart and its little case for Dark Arms.
                        As luck would have it, the guy that sold me the system with the loose cart ended up sending me a message a bit later on to say that he'd found the box and manual for it, and if I didn't mind covering postage, he'd get it sent out! It's arrived with me now, so if your buddy's interested then I'm happy to pass on my spare and complete his copy too.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                          As luck would have it, the guy that sold me the system with the loose cart ended up sending me a message a bit later on to say that he'd found the box and manual for it, and if I didn't mind covering postage, he'd get it sent out! It's arrived with me now, so if your buddy's interested then I'm happy to pass on my spare and complete his copy too.
                          Ace! Let me ask him if he needs it.

Comment

Got a job lot of DC games from dyer in the sales forum. Bunch of these I'd been hovering on the purchase button on recently on other places so glad to get them all.

Comment

Nice some essential titles there.

Comment

I've always fancied picking up the El Dorado Gate box just for all of the Amano art, very nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X