No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed on MHG, more work than MH World but less work than the games of old. A great game overall.

Comment

One of my favourite things in the whole world is hoovering up 100 yen games in used game stores in Japan. The C-Virus has prevented me from doing this obviously so I got a box of junk games from Yahoo Japan. I only glanced at the listing before buying it so I could have a nice surprise when it arrived. I remembered that there were at least two games I wanted in it, R4 and Sengoku Basara 3. The rest would be a mystery.

So as you can see, not all bangers by any stretch of the imagination. A lot of these will either go up for sale immediately or I'll have a quick play and decide what to do with them. A couple of them are dupes of what I already have as well. There was also a weird rap battle DVD or something. That went in the bin.

The keepers:
      Rockman X7
      Beat Down
      New Super Mario Bros. Wii
      Sengoku Basara 3
      R4
      Rockman X3, 5 and 6

The rest will be sold. I have seen game collectors on youtube buy boxes of games like this to "bulk out my collection". That's a weird brain sickness. Why buy games just to have them on your shelf? I know the answer, game collectors on youtube make money through performative consumerism and viewers get sucked into thinking that they should just buy games to have rather than buy games that they will actually play. I buy a lot of games but they will all be played.

For my first go at buying random boxes of Yahoo Auctions, I'll be happy if I can make a chunk of the money back. If not, it was a fun little experiment but probably won't do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        That is some prep! Not sure if you've got specific co-op buddies in mind, but MH is the obvious stand-out for me, with the proviso you're going to need to do a lot of work on each savegame to get it ready for anything.
        Yeah, I have a few friends who play with me. Sometimes we play with 3 people, sometimes with just 2 depending on what games we play and how well our schedules work together. There are so many games that it's sometimes hard to choose what to play, because there also are the games that support download play as well. Next time we play we'll probably play one of the Mario Party games and one of the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, at that point I can borrow the Monster Hunter games and consoles so the guys can work on their savegames and then we can co-op that.

Comment

Fun post and I'm glad you got some keepers out of it.

Comment

OK don't all get jealous at once

Comment

Did they pay you a lot to take it? At least it's not the Amstrad or Commodore consoles. You have Tempest at least.

Comment

I feel a bit queasy looking at that, ewwwwwww

Comment

Gaming for only double hard bastards.

Comment

Kudos for managing to resist scouring every image of those big box purchases. I don't think I'd be able to help myself, kind of killing the fun of it in the process.

I had a moment of Jaguar consideration the other day when I realised there was a port of Raiden for it. Not sure that's enough to get me to buy a system, mind.

Comment

There's a Jaguar game in the Cex at the shopping centre right now, some racing game I can't remember. It's an odd feeling to come face-to-face with a Jaguar title in 2021 within a chain in a completely ordinary shopping centre.

I persuaded my mate not to buy a Jaguar back in the day, he was literally yards away from the shop when I bumped into him with money in his hand. Can't remember what the outcome was, think he bought a Mega Drive 2.

Comment

Jag is a janky system, but...and although available elsewhere, Tempest 2000 is worth the hype it's genuinley brilliant.

Cybermorph isn't beyond the snes SFX and AvP is good for it's time, good system showcase but repetitive quickly. Reminds me of Daedalus/Robotica on Saturn.
                        Last edited by Baseley09; 11-08-2021, 18:05.

Comment

That was a good deed Hirst, everyone needs someone like that to intervene at critical moments. Or when they're trading in 200 cartridges for a 3DO with a dodgy laser or something.

Comment

Went into town with missus to see a film, went into the Cex while we were waiting and found two games that amazingly don't look like they've been on the floor of a mosh pit.

Time Crisis 3 is for the missus who wants a CRT setup for the lightgun games (maybe some practice for shooting me later), Battle Construction Vehicles is some cheapo port of an Artdink game where some 80s-era anime guy decides to have battles between construction equipment. Probably not great but looks weird and I fancied it.

Comment

BCV is great! Gets fairly unbalanced and frustrating a few hours in but otherwise a charming game.

Comment

Big box of stuff arrived today.

Comment

Working...
                                X