Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    OK, I'll do one for mid next week. This week's mid-week video will be a review of the RG-352MP.
    Cool - very much looking forward to that! Hope you updated to the latest 351Elec as the stock firmware is pretty poor at Dreamcast/PSP emulation.

Comment

Yep did that last night. The stock firmware was shockingly bad.

Comment

Yep did that last night. The stock firmware was shockingly bad.
        Oooh, colour me excited to watch the review!!

Comment

Me and missus didn't have anything to do on Sunday so she'd booked us tickets for Doncaster Retro Game Market, mainly just to have a look round and see what it was like rather than any serious buying! I wasn't really looking to spend anything and I think mostly stuff was a bit overpriced (some shockingly so - really common PS1/PS2 stuff going for multiples of the real value), but there was enough stuff there to find things in and amongst. I did find a few odd bargains and also found a fiver on the ground, jackpot.

Seems like I'm getting a load of Game Gear stuff lately but truth be told there were a few stalls where they'd underpriced it a fair bit. I prefer things complete but when it comes to the older handhelds the price difference is just so much that I don't mind as long I can pick up some of those plastic cases for them. Sky Kid was a surprise find in a box of loose Famicom carts, one of my favourite arcade games so I'll have that. Also got Virtual Hydlide because I've been thinking about it a lot lately - had it way back when and I appreciate it's sort of an awful game but I also admire the ambition and general weirdness of it. Also the main guy walks like he's crapped himself.

Missus got some stuff too, mostly a few DS games I can't remember and a Super Mario Galaxy 2 guide book still sealed up.

Comment

Digging that Hydlide art, and yeah a must own.

Comment

Yeah, virtual hydlide is awful but as you say, for the time it was extremely ambitious. An open randomly generated world in full 3D! I love how big everything is too. If only there was a way to boost the frame rate.

Comment

Yeah, virtual hydlide is awful but as you say, for the time it was extremely ambitious. An open randomly generated world in full 3D! I love how big everything is too. If only there was a way to boost the frame rate.
                I've heard a few times that the game engine was adapted from T&E Soft's golf games (but without any real source so I'm not sure). It does look quite similar, especially with the digitised main character. It makes me wonder if some poor chump who turned up to be in a golf game also ended up having to do Hydlide cosplay and pretend to wave a sword around.

Something that is more likely robbed from one of their golf games is the nonsense babble speech the Vampire boss speaks before you fight him. It's a female voice saying "please choose the number of players" in Japanese, but reversed and slowed down. Placeholder they forgot to change?

Comment

My RetroTink just arrived. Also recently got Minna no Conbini and Outrun 2006 as well as Neku from TWEWY (he's a new figure but from an old game so he's allowed in the threat OKAY).

Comment

Liking the gets people.

Also interesting Hydlide trivia about the stuff they used from their golf games.

Comment

My everdrive.me order arrived, sailed straight through without additional fees. Figured it was time to get a 64 X7 and also upgrade my GBA X5.

Comment

My GBA X5 should be here any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                          I've heard a few times that the game engine was adapted from T&E Soft's golf games (but without any real source so I'm not sure). It does look quite similar, especially with the digitised main character. It makes me wonder if some poor chump who turned up to be in a golf game also ended up having to do Hydlide cosplay and pretend to wave a sword around.

Something that is more likely robbed from one of their golf games is the nonsense babble speech the Vampire boss speaks before you fight him. It's a female voice saying "please choose the number of players" in Japanese, but reversed and slowed down. Placeholder they forgot to change?
                          Yeah, I've heard that too. It probably is based upon a T&E Soft golf engine. In Japan I'm sure there are 4 T&E Soft golf games on the Saturn with each becoming faster in rendering the world.
                          Interesting trivia on the end of game boss battle speech. I never knew that. I wonder if that was a place holder?

Comment

Congrats on the Retrotink. I've been really enjoying mine. Did you get away with import tax? I got stung but thankfully Japan's import fees are cheap. Had to pay 2800 yen, about 18 pounds.

Comment

Congrats on the Retrotink. I've been really enjoying mine. Did you get away with import tax? I got stung but thankfully Japan's import fees are cheap. Had to pay 2800 yen, about 18 pounds.
                              The product page has UK exclusive purchase link and a warning that you'll be charged about £50 in fees via DHL. That would bring the total purchase up to around £325 if my math is correct with the current exchange rate. Cautiously optimistic about the OSSC Pro but if they trade blows I can see myself going for the 5X Pro too.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                                The product page has UK exclusive purchase link and a warning that you'll be charged about £50 in fees via DHL. That would bring the total purchase up to around £325 if my math is correct with the current exchange rate. Cautiously optimistic about the OSSC Pro but if they trade blows I can see myself going for the 5X Pro too.
                                Well, at least they are kind enough to add a UK only link and let you know about the import fees.

Comment

Working...
                                X