No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a lot of ways I blame @Hirst for recent events......

So I'd been having a hankering to replay PSP Ridge Racer recently, but unfortunately the emulation devices I use for all other retro stuff just don't cut the mustard when it comes to PSP. Then I kind of decided, oh I can just pick a cheap system up, which I did, and I thought that would be it. Just get Ridge Racer then get it out of my system so I found a disc only copy for £1 in a local charity shop. But then Hirst keeps posting about how he's scooping all these cheap games, so I decided to take a wee nose around eBay and stuff. Man, I'm down the rabbit hole now. So, so far down the rabbit hole. I've bought games that I loved back when I originally had the system for next to nothing, then I might also have ordered a few that cost considerably more.

Anyway, have to say it's still a great system and I have been absolutely glued to Ridge Racer during any down time at the shop. These are the first three boxed and complete games I've picked up since diving back in feet first.

Last edited by Colin; 24-03-2022, 20:31.

Comment

Excellent games. If you install custom firmware on your PSP, you can unlock the full speed of the processor which enables 60fps on Outrun.

Comment

I’ll take a look in to how to do that, cheers for the info.

Comment

Mystic Heroes was one of those games that got middling reviews back in the day as a C tier title but I bet there's some good fun to be had there.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            In a lot of ways I blame @Hirst for recent events......
            PSP is a great one to buy for at the moment, I often see PSP games in charity shops of all places (usually junk). Even in better places, loads of decent games around the £5 mark and it's only seriously fancy stuff that goes above £15 or so. The tough cases tend to keep everything in good nick too, plus no shortage of replacement cases thanks to all the horrid UMD films.

Comment

Nice picks [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] … I’ve been tippy-toeing around the same rabbit hole myself

Comment

Bring a rope with you when you fall in so we can both get back out.

Comment

To carry on with the PSP thing. I'd picked a system up on Facebook marketplace for £20 which looks like it's went 12 rounds with a Brillo pad as I thought it was just going to be a quick get it, play some Ridge, forget it. Since I've been completely sucked in by it though I decided to buy a cleaner system. Got this 'Street' model fully boxed and in really nice condition from eBay, I'd never actually seen this hardware version before tonight but I actually quite like the clean look of it.

Also another couple of old favourites arrived. I'm basically just rebuying all my favourite games I had way back when I originally had a PSP.

Comment

If you weren't aware the downsides of the Street model are the lack of wireless and the mono speaker - I never really found any issues with those omissions though. Do like the textured matt finish after releasing fingerprint magnets for 5 years too.

Comment

Wireless doesn't seem any loss at this point Oliver, and played some Ridge on it tonight and it still sounded pretty good to be fair. The textured case is definitely a bonus as it looks barely used, all the original ones I looked at on eBay were rough as old dogs!

Comment

Not hugely interesting in the grand scheme of things, but a cheeky find at the charity shop. Original GC-compatible Wii in really nice condition, but zero accessories or wires. Untested but a promise it could be brought back, £10. Sure why not. Get it back, turn it on and hit the eject just in case...

Good evening, random copy of Wii Sports! I've no interest in it and already have it in any case, but for some reason these sell for about a tenner even as a loose disc. Which means... £10 minus £10 equals... free Wii.

Comment

I thought all Wii consoles were Game Cube compatible? Well, all that accept discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                            I thought all Wii consoles were Game Cube compatible? Well, all that accept discs.
                            There's a mild redesign in 2011 when it becomes the "101" model and affects all of them from then on. The GC controller and memory ports are removed along with any support for the discs. Also they delete the vertical stand for some reason.

Comment

I think the easiest way to tell at a glance is that the Wii logo is printed to be read horizontally on that non GC model.

Comment

So two things, actually arrived a week or two ago but only just got the chance to try them.

Star Trek: Encounters, PS2. Tried it because it was Trek and because it was weirdly by Bethesda AND Ubisoft. Terrible. It's a SpaceWar-alike, which is something I've not said in a while all played from a top-down perspective, and it's entirely combat focused. Not quite sure who this was for.

SHOX, also PS2. Rally game by EA. Trying it because its headline feature was something to do with deformable terrain? But sadly the copy I got off eBay (given, for about £3) doesn't work, and the disc is quite badly scratched. Going to see if I can clean it up but I think it's had it.

Comment

Working...
                                X