No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it's down to the sturdy cases or the types of owners that had PSPs but out of all the old-ish systems I find the PSP the easiest to find in nice condition. The only annoying thing is the way the manuals are held in with a single tab in the middle, putting a slight crease in them.

Comment

A few random bits from Japan

And I finally started on Japanese Mega Drive games, something I’ve barely touched on in 13 years of collecting. I never bothered because the Mega Drive was my first console and the PAL library means so much to me.

Comment

Some awesome MD games there, nice. The Japanese box art is so much better than Pal land it’s ridiculous.

Comment

Nice pickups. I just love the art for Pokémon Pinball. And Puyo Puyo on MD, too.

Comment

A disturbing lack of magical flying hat turbo adventure. It’s mandatory to have that in your collection best game on the md, sproingy flagpoles never get boring. But apart from this huuuge oversight that’s a great selection of md stuff.

Comment

Some great games there, I'll always maintain that the MD version of Zero Wing has some of the best game music ever produced. Everything looks in such good condition too.

XDR I remember being a bit of a honker though, let us know how you get on with that! I had it and just couldn't get on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                A disturbing lack of magical flying hat turbo adventure. It’s mandatory to have that in your collection best game on the md, sproingy flagpoles never get boring. But apart from this huuuge oversight that’s a great selection of md stuff.
                Haha, it’s on my MD hit list with around 60 other games. I’m having to reign it in now though, got expensive renovations to pay for, although it will give me an enhanced games room that will go into the loft so will be worth it.

Comment

I’ll let you know on XDR, spent all last night playing Ka Ge Ki and Zero Wing. Zero Wing is epic, Ka Ge Ki I’ve just got a soft spot for after getting the arcade board years ago on a whim, it’s not a great game. I also thought Street Smart looked pretty good, but my 15 minutes with it yesterday left me thinking it’s actually a bit of a turd.

Comment

XDR is a bigger turd that street smart. It's really bad and runs at 30fps!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      XDR is a bigger turd that street smart. It's really bad and runs at 30fps!
                      I forgot it run at 30fps! That's the key reason it plays badly, besides just generally feeling "slow" like your spaceship is puttering through the stages at walking pace. It's hard to describe but it feels a bit like some also-ran shooter from the mid-80s but with the sprites redrawn to look like a... sort of in-between Master System and Mega Drive game. But with really dull colours, it's all very blue and grey. The sound is horrible too - it uses an OK sound driver but the composition is awful and the default bullet sound is an annoying chuff-chuff-chuff type noise. It's kind of hard to describe how bad it is, because all of this sounds like minor points but they all combine into a game that just feels like some lame homebrew that somebody knocked up in an evening.

Fun Fact: It sits one off the bottom of the user rankings in Beep Mega Drive magazine, 519 of 520. Below F1 Hero MD and above Sword of Sodan (now THAT is a turd).

Less Fun Fact: I bought XDR from a pawn shop and the owner said "Oh I've played that, it's good". This was before the days where I had Internet on my phone and as it stood it was an interesting-looking MD shooter with nice cover art that I'd never heard of so I took my chances. Got home and it only took about 15 seconds of play to know that I'd been screwed over. Luckily I just stuck it on eBay and got all my money back. I slightly regret it because it did have nice boxart and was in nice condition, but sometimes needs must.

Comment

I had a blast this afternoon and yeah, it’s pretty bad. It’s not Sword of Sodan bad in my eyes, but it’s definitely a low end shooter. It’s better than some of the worst PC Engine shooters, but that’s not saying much. I think [MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION] has nailed it with that first paragraph, basically sums it up. Also it feels a bit squished with all the killer scenery which funnels you through narrow paths.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                          I forgot it run at 30fps! That's the key reason it plays badly, besides just generally feeling "slow" like your spaceship is puttering through the stages at walking pace. It's hard to describe but it feels a bit like some also-ran shooter from the mid-80s but with the sprites redrawn to look like a... sort of in-between Master System and Mega Drive game. But with really dull colours, it's all very blue and grey. The sound is horrible too - it uses an OK sound driver but the composition is awful and the default bullet sound is an annoying chuff-chuff-chuff type noise. It's kind of hard to describe how bad it is, because all of this sounds like minor points but they all combine into a game that just feels like some lame homebrew that somebody knocked up in an evening.

Fun Fact: It sits one off the bottom of the user rankings in Beep Mega Drive magazine, 519 of 520. Below F1 Hero MD and above Sword of Sodan (now THAT is a turd).

Less Fun Fact: I bought XDR from a pawn shop and the owner said "Oh I've played that, it's good". This was before the days where I had Internet on my phone and as it stood it was an interesting-looking MD shooter with nice cover art that I'd never heard of so I took my chances. Got home and it only took about 15 seconds of play to know that I'd been screwed over. Luckily I just stuck it on eBay and got all my money back. I slightly regret it because it did have nice boxart and was in nice condition, but sometimes needs must.
                          Oh man, reading that brings back the memories. You know what, I should dig out my copy and give the turd another go. May even do a video on it

Comment

Been after Ultraman Powered for near 18 years since being blown away by the screens in Gamefan mag, cool as hell not an amazing game but everything about it is rad.

Comment

Ultraman is so bad it’s weirdly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post

Been after Ultraman Powered for near 18 years since being blown away by the screens in Gamefan mag, cool as hell not an amazing game but everything about it is rad.
                                Is there even one game featuring Ultraman that isn't turd?

Comment

Working...
                                X