No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But they weren't running on PlayStation hardware! The Namco System 22 Arcade board was close in architecture to the PlayStation but it was still more powerful than Sony's console and required some significant port work to get games running on the little grey box.
    Ridge Racer wasn't and so the case for TC, but the likes of Tekken and so on were (Capcom Tatio, Namco) all used PS based boards for quite a number of their Arcade games) and given that the Saturn was having to port Model 2 and Model 2B games to the Saturn (which didn't have the 3D might of the PS) I think the Saturn teams were doing wonders .

But have to leave it at before getting into trouble for going off topic

Comment

I will have my final say in this Playstation vs Saturn debate. I bought both machines in 1995 and enjoyed them a lot. I have fond memories of loving Ridge Racer on the PS, Sega Rally on the Saturn, and many other games for both systems. Both machines had first generation games that didn't take full advantage of the hardware. Just look at Tekken 1 vs Tekken 3 and Virtua Fighter 1 vs Virtua Fighter 2 - the jump in technical quality was immense over time.

So, as much as the Saturn was harder for devs to work with, it was a very powerful machine that could do wonders in the right hands. The Playstation soon became the most popular, though, because of better marketing, a lot of hype, a cheaper price, and developers loving the hardware and making tons of games for it.

My resounding memory of the Playstation vs Saturn era will always be that both machines had a different vibe about them and were both worth owning. I'm glad I got to enjoy both back in the day, as they left me with many positive memories. But when it comes to the mass market, for various reasons I can fully appreciate why the Playstation destroyed the Saturn in the West. It's a shame, because I wish the Saturn had been more succesful, as strong rivalry between console makers is always a good thing for gamers.

Comment

Well even though its the wrong thread, It's at least to have a nice civilised debate , with out calls for bans, locked threads or the 'threat' of adding people to one's ignore list . The systems are just machines and its just games at the end of the day, not one's family or loved ones.

I was quite lucky in that my best mate who at the time was also my next door neighbour (had a PS) and also my bother had a PS too. So despite owning and just buying for the Saturn (before also getting a N64 on its USA lauch) , still had full access to a PS and all its good games too. Really good times and all systems had their good and bad points and good and bad games . I have to say though when it game to my best games and most fav memories of playing games it was the Saturn for me and its not just because its SEGA (think like that I never say the Snes was better than the MD) I just loved the games more that system had to offer .

There was a few games that really made me a bit sick they weren't on the Saturn and that was F1, MGS (which was unreal at the time), Colin McRae and Pro Evo , but thank god for my mate and my brother lol

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

There was a few games that really made me a bit sick they weren't on the Saturn and that was F1, MGS (which was unreal at the time), Colin McRae and Pro Evo , but thank god for my mate and my brother lol
          Yeah, they were all great games. I couldn't have gone without the Tekken series, Ridge Racer series and Soul Edge. I loved Namco games back then.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-01-2016, 00:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            Yeah, they were all great games. I couldn't have gone with the Tekken series, Ridge Racer series and Soul Edge. I loved Namco games back then.
            I still to this day don't get the love for RR (and no that's not flame bait) .Soul Edge looked amazing but it wasn't for me in fact my fav and most played Vs fighter in the 32 gen was X-Men COTA me and my mates used to love playing that game . After VF (which is remains my fav 3D fighter) the 3D fighters just too deep with too many moves and so on (imo) . Really would have loved Colin Mcare on the Saturn, that was a almost perfect racer and MGS remains to this day just increasable.

Just remember parts like asking to put your pad on the floor and moving it or reading your memory card . Just so clever and so well done

Comment

Ridge Racer is pure arcade gaming. Perfect controls with a course tough enough to still be tricky after years of practise.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                Ridge Racer is pure arcade gaming. Perfect controls with a course tough enough to still be tricky after years of practise.
                Like with Virtual Racing I just don't get the love . To me Outrun is the perfect Arcade racer and if its perfect controls its SEGA Rally on the Saturn . Even now trying to bet the AM#3 ghost car is additive as ever

Comment

Virtua Racing is a basic game though, simply left and right handling. Ridge has depth to it.

Comment

Mostly Wii stuff. Is Wii retro now? It's technically last gen but the tech is so old that it feels more in line with PS2 era stuff.

Comment

Nice haul.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        I still to this day don't get the love for RR (and no that's not flame bait)
                        Ridge Racer feels really nice to control, the graphics are colourful and very impressive, and the cool music really helps to create a unique atmosphere. It's a game I still go back to on the PS and enjoy, despite it being very simple. The sequels - Revolution, Rage Racer, Ridge Racer 4 - were also a joy. RR4, especially, was sensational. But I always have a soft spot for the original, as the look and atmosphere always puts a smile on my face.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        Mostly Wii stuff. Is Wii retro now? It's technically last gen but the tech is so old that it feels more in line with PS2 era stuff.

The Wii is essentially a GameCube, so the tech could be considered "retro" by some people. But whatever the case, those three games are excellent.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-01-2016, 00:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          The Wii is essentially a GameCube, so the tech could be considered "retro" by some people. But whatever the case, those three games are excellent.
                          Yeah, I've wanted them for a while and lucked out with finding a local seller. I think I've got most of the games I want on the Wii now, A Boy And His Blob and Punch Out are probably the only other titles I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                            I think I've got most of the games I want on the Wii now, A Boy And His Blob and Punch Out are probably the only other titles I want.
                            I only need a few more Wii games - including Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Looking at your pic has prompted me to finally buy it.

Comment

Is that the US version of Kirby's Adventure?

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                                Virtua Racing is a basic game though, simply left and right handling. Ridge has depth to it.
                                I wouldn't agree , VR is simulating 10 different parameters . RR is far more simple .

RR4, especially, was sensational
                                I agree . I remember my next door neighbour getting the game and we were jaw dropped at the visuals and the game stunning looks. Most prob the best looking 32 bit racer I seen running at the time . Just never really liked the game much

Comment

Working...
                                X