Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
    Yeah, so this is what I was referring to when I said "retro but not really retro", because it's for an old system but came out rather recently:

Is that okay to be posted in here? Will have a similar candidate coming sometime soon (not Jaguar though).
    Seems fine to me, i wouldn't worry about what retro pics you post, it's a loose guideline anyway. I'd rather see pics than nothing, keeps the thread interesting.

Today the last of my current tiny arcade arrived, love them all. Looking forward to wave 2 hitting the shops i'm hoping they do at least a few more waves, after endless years of companies doing piss poor attempts at handheld arcades in mono lcd form or with minimalistic vfd displays it seems weird to see someone actually get it right. Oh to have a time machine & take these back to the 80's and watch kids heads explode.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post

Is that okay to be posted in here? Will have a similar candidate coming sometime soon (not Jaguar though).
      They are for a retro system, so posting them is fine. I really like the Mutant Camels box art. It's also cool that it's come out on the Jaguar. Rebooteroids looks like a decent version of Asteroids for people who enjoy that sort of thing.

I have an American Jaguar. Is there an Everdrive for the system? I wouldn't mind playing some homebrews.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      Oh to have a time machine & take these back to the 80's and watch kids heads explode.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-08-2018, 05:24.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        Seems fine to me, i wouldn't worry about what retro pics you post, it's a loose guideline anyway. I'd rather see pics than nothing, keeps the thread interesting.

Today the last of my current tiny arcade arrived, love them all. Looking forward to wave 2 hitting the shops i'm hoping they do at least a few more waves, after endless years of companies doing piss poor attempts at handheld arcades in mono lcd form or with minimalistic vfd displays it seems weird to see someone actually get it right. Oh to have a time machine & take these back to the 80's and watch kids heads explode.
        They're awesome. I really like those. Are they impractical to play, though?

Can you tell me more about what's coming in wave 2?

I did try to search to avoid hassling you, but instead of Tiny Arcade, I stumbled across this Kickstarter for Replicade:

Stuff I've learned this morning:
        • So far they've done Tempest and Centipede. They seem a little bigger than the Tiny Arcade at about 12" high.
        • They start shipping and backers should get them in August (a few months behind schedule).
        • When asked if they're hackable, they replied "New Wave Toys official answer to this is that it is one game per cabinet. In terms of user configurability, the community is going to have to wait and see when it ships!"
        • They were on KS at about $120 each.
        • They're working on some more games, which won't hit Kickstarter and the next game is Street Fighter II: Championship Edition.
        • This one comes with a second, USB controller to allow Vs.

With the first three announced, see if you can guess the others based on the cab silhouette!

Comment

Importaku's ones, though cool, are a bit lazy really though aren't they? All they're doing is changing the ROM and sticker set and saying "here, you go, here's another one......". They're putting no effort in to adapting the cab or controls to the specific game, though I dare say those four cabs probably were the same shape. Looks like a better though obviously more costly effort with the others. That second controller is garbage though, and I'd imagine pulling combos off on the tiny cab on SFII would be horrendous!

Comment

That replicade is really cool but far too pricy for what it is, i like centipede but not enough to blow $150 if that had been rainbow islands then i might have been tempted.

As for tiny arcade the 2nd wave is galaga, frogger & digdug. They play ok but as you guessed they are a bit impractical due to their 4 inch size but it's a $20 keyring, they are playable but you wont be having marathon gaming sessions on them. It's just a fun novelty collectible.

Comment

I'd love one of those Replicade Tempest machines

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

I was waiting for that reply. Addict.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Importaku's ones, though cool, are a bit lazy really though aren't they? All they're doing is changing the ROM and sticker set and saying "here, you go, here's another one......". They're putting no effort in to adapting the cab or controls to the specific game, though I dare say those four cabs probably were the same shape.
                  I mentioned earlier that you can't hack the Tiny Arcade cabs to put anything on, but you can unlock all four cabs on each.
                  Some enterprising people have added little switches:

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  That second controller is garbage though, and I'd imagine pulling combos off on the tiny cab on SFII would be horrendous!
                  Interesting that they say it's a USB pad, so potentially, you might be able to plug a better pad in.

Also, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, and you can hack these cabs, that six-button SFII version with the ability to add a pad could be amazing...

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  @Addictus!

Side note:
                  Searching for that Tiny Arcade vid came up with these images:
                  Arcade stick hack turns PS Vita into a mini 'Street Fighter' cabinet

Tiny Arcade - Pocket (mod)

Tiny Arcade Cabinet

This brilliant modder built a version of 'Out Run' into a 'Tomy Turnin’ Turbo Dashboard.'

Comment

Full article on that Tomy OutRun mod here:
                    Build log for my retro Outrun arcade machine built from a Tomy Turnin' Turbo Dashboard 80s toy and a Raspberry Pi

He's also just made a pinball machine!

Plus a Tomy Mr. Money Google Assistant!

Comment

That's really cool. I remember seeing that toy in Woolworths when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I know! I had to post it!

The speedometer and gear shift actually work!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          Yeah, I vaguely remember that... didn’t it have a little plastic car that moved back n’ forth across the screen and a VHS, or was that something else?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            Yeah, I vaguely remember that... didn’t it have a little plastic car that moved back n’ forth across the screen and a VHS, or was that something else?
                            You're thinking of Sega Video Driver:

He's used Tomy Racing Turbo:

Comment

Ah, yes I definitely remember the screen on the Tomy now, it had this cool scrolling effect... my mate had something that looked similar.

This is it, the Playmates Fun-to-Drive from 1985:

Last edited by _SD_; 01-08-2018, 15:49.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                You're thinking of Sega Video Driver:

I remember seeing that in Woolworths as well. They had it running on a 14" television. I thought I was actually controlling the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X