Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
    I thought the N64 handled FPSs really well. Golden Eye looked and played amazingly well and there was nothing else like it on the Saturn or PS1 throughout their entire lifespan. Exhumed was brilliant on the Saturn but there was something about the way Rare created such a believable and, as you say, open and expansive world that made it stand out.
    GoldenEye did look impressive back in the day - and had a air of realism about it, but it was running at a low frame rate. I don't think that really mattered much back then though, so people just enjoyed the good points of the game.

Away from open world sort of games, the machine wasn't very good at running racers, beat 'em ups, and shoot 'em ups like the Saturn and PlayStation could. It was clear that the N64 tech was designed primarily to deliver more open and expansive game worlds.

I wonder what they thought other developers would do with the hardware?
    I guess they decided that gaming should be all about expansive game worlds after the 16-bit generation. They thought games like Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time were the future. I think they were right to a degree. Unfortunately, the N64 tech was still very limited in some ways, so developers struggled to make arcade style games for it. It would take another generation of console tech to deliver all round machines that could deliver in all areas. You then had machines that could do everything: open world games at high frame rates - and fast arcade style games.

So it's easy to see why people moan about N64 games not standing the test of time, because a lot of them were experimental, running on technology that was far from ideal.

Comment

Don't normally buy protectors for console hardware boxes but these are too nice to let get dinged up from shelf wear so i got some fab protectors from Dan at retroprotection, there sadly is no protector made out there specifically for the shounen 50th mini but Dan has one for a xwing luke star wars figure that's almost the same dimensions as the box so it's good enough for now and not too far out.

They also fit the uk/usa boxes due to been same size but the designs of those i'm not too fussed about.

Comment

Grabbed a TNT2 to replace the ATi Rage Pro and still got no image. Looks like the PCs buggered.

On the plus side I can use this as an excuse to build something from the ground up. The ultimate Windows 98 PC...etc

Comment

Old school video cards have a certain charm compared to the hulking beasts we have these days. If you’re going for an old school build get a Kyro or Matrox G400 for ultimate image quality.

Comment

Sorry to be spamming the thread like this but I just got reaaally lucky with this one here:

Been wanting this one ever since I've seen it in one of those small black fold-out catalogues that were included with NES games 31 years ago or so. Never got it though, and things were complicated by the fact that I somehow wanted the short black cardboard box instead of the second print, larger one with the pixel cover. These are called Bienengräber boxes in Germany, that was Nintendo's distributor back then. Anyway...yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
              and things were complicated by the fact that I somehow wanted the short black cardboard box instead of the second print, larger one with the pixel cover!
              A funny little game, with funny box art. I hope you like it after waiting 31 years to get a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                A funny little game, with funny box art. I hope you like it after waiting 31 years to get a copy.
                Thanks! I hope so too. But I keep my expectations in check since I'm well aware it's very simplistic. However, I always loved that somewhat gritty atmosphere, at least for a 1984 game. That dark cityscape, people throwing flower pots, the police...

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                  people throwing flower pots
                  It's not exactly Final Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    I guess they decided that gaming should be all about expansive game worlds after the 16-bit generation. They thought games like Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time were the future. I think they were right to a degree. Unfortunately, the N64 tech was still very limited in some ways, so developers struggled to make arcade style games for it. It would take another generation of console tech to deliver all round machines that could deliver in all areas. You then had machines that could do everything: open world games at high frame rates - and fast arcade style games.
                    I suppose Nintendo were ahead of their time in a way. It's a shame they or another developer didn't try to make a more mature game in that vein. Something like Tomb Raider or Metal Gear Solid would have been interesting or maybe Blue Stinger.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      Old school video cards have a certain charm compared to the hulking beasts we have these days. If you’re going for an old school build get a Kyro or Matrox G400 for ultimate image quality.
                      Yeah they have a completely different look to today's cards, almost quaint looking in comparison.

The TNT2 was quick punt for 2D since I have two Voodoo 2s in SLI (although I was looking forward to messing around with it on it's own to see how it stacked up). I'll revisit the GPUs though for sure going forward. I actually need to have a think about what I want the machine to be really since I do want DOS compatibility but also a little oomph to power through those later 9x games. I'm sure I'll have to compromise somewhere.

Comment

or Metal Gear Solid would have been interesting or maybe Blue Stinger.
                        I think Metal Gear solid would have looked terrible on the N64. I just imagine it looking really blocky and lifeless with vaseline textures. It's a game that really took advantage of the good points of the PlayStation tech.

Comment

Bought a few nice items over the last month. Some retro and some modern plus something that wasn't cheap at all.

Comment

My first AC game!

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                              My first AC game!
                              Loads of people have crazy love for that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                                My first AC game!
                                Hey, that was my first AC game as well!
                                Had my eye on it before it was announced for a Western release, back when it was called "Animal Forest+". Those NES games in there fascinated me to no end, whch probably was a dark omen for my return into retro gaming many years later.

Meanwhile, I have been immensely lucky....a very nice person sold me this for 170€/200$:

For a couple of years I had almost given up hope of ever getting this. It's not a flawless copy but I SO don't care.

Good to go:

(apologies for the blooming, I only have an iPad for photos)

Comment

Working...
                                X