No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't recommend that PSIO, hoping that the xStation improves the PlayStation ODE solution. OPL works well for PS2 so I'm not really concerned about that one, besides not being able to play PS1 games natively... But I have the PSIO for that.

The issue with the PSIO is that the firmware is constantly breaking and fixing things, it's like you're beta testing their device despite it being out so long. Rubbish.

Comment

Just wish there was some analogue style ps1 system that outputted hdmi with some nice scanline options to help pretty things up that I could use all my original games and peripherals on I’d legit pay big money for something like that. Think there’s a hdmi mod coming but ps1 drives are getting on so a machine with new hardware would be welcomed no motivation to emulate ps1 apart from using my classic to try out random games much prefer real for ps1 stuff as I doubt you can get stuff like martial beat easily running via emulation.
      Last edited by importaku; 06-08-2020, 07:11.

Comment

I think PS1HDMI + xStation should be something like you're describing (hopefully).

Comment

Not head of xstation what is that?

Comment

It's an ODE solution that replaces the drive entirely, instead of using the parallel port like the PSIO. Looking promising so far but nothing concrete yet.

Comment

Ah neat love when they make new stuff like that, however it means I’d have to convert all my software to images or hunt down ISO’s online something that’s pretty hard as a lot of games don’t seem to have been dumped especially the super obscure stuff I tend to go after.

Comment

You could have the ps1digitial hdmi solution installed and still play your original discs :-)

Only supports specific model playstations, but prob worth picking up a compatible model if original hardware and HDMI is import to you.

On April 1st 2020, Dan "citrus3000psi" Kunz tweeted some updates on the PS1Digital (nee, PS1HDMI) project. The PS1Digital, like the DCDigital, is a hardware modification that adds HDMI ports to compatible consoles by tapping in to the digital video and audio signals on their respective motherboards.

Comment

Seemed like the laser was a concern, could always get a BAM from a PSone - think that'd be your best bet in terms of longevity. Or even a new one from China... Though I've not had good experiences with those.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
                    You could have the ps1digitial hdmi solution installed and still play your original discs :-)

Only supports specific model playstations, but prob worth picking up a compatible model if original hardware and HDMI is import to you.

https://www.retrorgb.com/ps1digital-...-features.html
                    Damn shame it wont work with a psOne revision as thats by far my favorite console redesign

Comment

A few years ago I preferred the smaller psone. But I seem to quite like the chunky original one now.

I even dusted my original Xbox off the other week and even that monstrosity has a certain charm to me now!

Comment

Mention of this xstation got my hopes up, thought we'd finally have a drop-in ODE for PS1! Turns out this also needs soldering though, bah.

Comment

These days, to get a lot of the recent advantages it certainly helps to be able to solder and tinker inside older consoles. I’m fortunate, I learnt some soldering basics as a kid, over time accumulated various tools, but the last 10 years I’ve spent more time altering/fixing/upgrading vintage consoles than I’ve spent playing them I reckon. Think I need to settle on one platform at a time and concentrate on it.

Comment

Yeah being able to solder is very handy in this hobby!

Comment

Do you play much? Or is soldering more of a hobby than retro gaming?

Comment

True, it's something I'd like to be able to do but currently isn't really practical (I don't have anywhere to dedicate to workspace or tools). I also haven't picked up a soldering iron since doing work experience in the 90s at a TV repair shop, so would need some more practise first! I guess I just unwittingly got my hopes up - having seen drop-in replacements for the Saturn and Dreamcast appear in recent times I assumed that finally somebody had designed something as straightforward for the PS1.

Comment

Working...
                                X