User Tag List

Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51141149150151
Results 1,501 to 1,506 of 1506
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Yeah, there are plenty of Amiga games that are held in high regard but would be seen as average or maybe poor in the realm of consoles.

I have fond memories of Xenon 2 impressing me with its music and graphic design, but ultimately I didn't enjoy playing it one bit. It's a really dull shooter that feels like a demo/concept rather than a proper full game.

I went back to Battle Squadron recently and it still impressed me. I'd say it's a quality experience in all areas. Still one of my favourite Amiga games that reminds me why I liked the machine so much back in the day. Disposable Hero is also a quality shooter.
    Most of the Amiga games have aged very bad. Especially the shmups. Platforms are not that bad (Superfrog, Jim Power, Risky Woods, etc)

I never liked Body Blows. There was what I consider to be a game breaking bug: Each time you threw down an opponent they were invisible (i.e. your hits would go through them) for 1-2 seconds after they got up and they could hit you but you couldn't hit them. So you had to throw them down and then move back and wait some time before your hits could register again. Terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Yeah, there are plenty of Amiga games that are held in high regard but would be seen as average or maybe poor in the realm of consoles.

I have fond memories of Xenon 2 impressing me with its music and graphic design, but ultimately I didn't enjoy playing it one bit. It's a really dull shooter that feels like a demo/concept rather than a proper full game.

I went back to Battle Squadron recently and it still impressed me. I'd say it's a quality experience in all areas. Still one of my favourite Amiga games that reminds me why I liked the machine so much back in the day. Disposable Hero is also a quality shooter.
    Yeah Battle Squadron is in a different league to Megablast.

Quote Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
    I remember Apidya being a decent shmup on the Amiga,
    I won't say Apidya is a bad game, but I think it's overrated. The way the graphics are designed to look realistic - so you have realistic snails and wasps etc.. - just looks really horrible to my eyes. It's technically one of the best shooters for the machine, but the aesthetic design doesn't appeal to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
    Project X was a bit sh*te but it looked gorgeous at the time.
    It's another 'tech demo' sort of Amiga game, which means it has some impressive stuff going on but ultimately lacks creative flair.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
    Most of the Amiga games have aged very bad. Especially the shmups. Platforms are not that bad (Superfrog, Jim Power, Risky Woods, etc)
    People who had a Mega Drive between 1989-1994 would probably say most Amiga shooters and platformers were pretty poor back in the day. Most Amiga action games are also quite dull and annoying to play.

Superfrog has 'clip art' sort of graphics that make it look a bit unprofessional, but at least the main character is quite likeable and the game runs well. I'd say it's still a decent platformer that's worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yeah Battle Squadron is in a different league to Megablast.
    Battle Squadron really shows off the Amiga in all areas. I'd say Xenon 2 could have been a good game if the developer had upped the pace and created interesting levels. It just feels like a tech demo with some impressive music slapped onto it.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Where the Amiga excelled was in it's library of point & click adventure games i have many fond memories of playing on the Amiga trying to solve them with my friend. I never had one myself as it was way out of my mums ability to afford, but i extensively played on my friends machine. Nowdays emulation is decent enough to fill the gap but Amiga stuff is not as straightforward as other emulators.

Still play monty python's flying circus even now, it's weird & a little clunky but it's a geat platform game. I liked weird games even back then my ultimate favourite is Nightshift from Lucasarts there has never been a puzzle game quite like it since. Life & death is also kind of fun but my god the learning curve is harsh, managed how to figure out the first operation but it's not easy one slip of the scalpel in the wrong spot and they are pretty much in toe tag territory. You need a medical degree to play that game lol

Speedball 2 and The Chaos Engine on Amiga are both still great. Lotus 2 also holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post
    Where the Amiga excelled was in it's library of point & click adventure games i have many fond memories of playing on the Amiga trying to solve them with my friend.
    I used to buy 'point & click' games in sales at computer shows, simply because they used to look nice in screenshots and many of them received great reviews. But I always found them incredibly frustrating, so I have nothing but bad memories of most of them. I'd say the best was Monkey Island.

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post
    Still play monty python's flying circus even now, it's weird & a little clunky but it's a geat platform game.
    I'd almost forgotten about that. It's a very off the wall game that has some fun elements to it. I really need to go back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
    Speedball 2 and The Chaos Engine on Amiga are both still great. Lotus 2 also holds up.
    Speedball 2 is easily in my Top 10 Amiga games. I was playing it a few weeks ago - and it's still a really fun game. Lotus 2 also stands up well, with nice graphics and smooth gameplay. I'd say 60% of Amiga games are poor, with around 20% being truly good to great games.