No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I like about these older racing games is the focus, 3 tracks or so and a few cars. I put on modern racers these days and im often overwhelmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      What I like about these older racing games is the focus, 3 tracks or so and a few cars. I put on modern racers these days and im often overwhelmed.
      I really like the artistic creativity in games like OutRun and Ridge Racer. Racers focused on capturing realism can certainly be impressive and fun to play, but I still crave racing games that go beyond reality and deliver something creatively inspiring.

I think a lot of people would wonder what the point of arcade-style racers is, when you have the likes of Forza & Gran Turismo offering a great sense of realism and tons of content.

Comment

They didn't make Ridge Racer the way it is because they were trying to be artistic, they made it that way because they were pursuing realism with 3D graphics. Maybe now it looks dated and 'cute', but back then it was the cutting edge.

Are there people out there that can play Ridge Racer 1 for a total combined clock time of three hours and beyond? I want to meet these people. What is there to do after you master that one track?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          They didn't make Ridge Racer the way it is because they were trying to be artistic, they made it that way because they were pursuing realism with 3D graphics.
          I'm pretty sure the developer wasn't trying to create a real world aesthetic. They could have easily used lots of grey tones to create a subdued looking environment, but instead chose very bright colours and an overall trippy look that suited the rave music synonymous with the game.

When you think about the power of the hardware Namco were using for Ridge Racer in the arcade, the dev could have easily made a racer that looked more down to earth like Gran Turismo, years before that game appeared. I don't think they chose all the bright colours, golden tunnels etc.. because they were aiming to create a real world looking environment. No, quite the opposite.

I think the developer clearly chose an aesthetic that would give Ridge Racer character. That character being colourful, exuberant, and fun. The art style goes hand in hand with the over the top announcer and stirring rave tunes.

Of course, the hardware allowed for cutting edge 3D, but the developer still wanted to deliver something that looked and felt more exciting than real life. The same with Daytona USA, Scud Race etc.... Developers of arcade racers nearly always opted for a bright, colouful aesthetic that felt more inviting than down to earth realism.

It amazes me that anyone would think Ridge Racer, in the way it looks and plays, was designed as a real world racing simulator. There are too many aspects of the game that show the developer chose a look and feel that gelled together perfectly to deliver something artistically inspiring. It's why people still talk about Ridge Racer today, because every component of the game was so different to more down to earth games like Gran Turismo that went on to dominate the racing genre.

The last time we got a bright, colourful racer that was full of imagination, it flopped. OutRun 2 didn't have a place in a market dominated by racers grounded in realism. The days of racers having distinct characteristics are long gone. Most gamers just want very down to earth racers that all look and feel much the same. It's why some retro gamers can reminisce about games like Ridge Racer and remember much character and artistic energy they had.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-09-2018, 01:29.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            Are there people out there that can play Ridge Racer 1 for a total combined clock time of three hours and beyond? I want to meet these people. What is there to do after you master that one track?
            I'm not sure what you mean by 'total combined clock time'? I don't get the time to sit and play any game for 3 hours or more these days. However, I've been playing Ridge Racer and Revolution on and off since they came out in the arcades and still enjoy them. Also, I wouldn't say that I've mastered them as I'm sure I could still shave a few seconds off my lap times.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              There were plenty of lifeless racing games released during the 8 & 16-bit era that aimed for a realistic look and feel.
              I think the thing is that the games that aimed for realism back then couldn't actually pull it off due to the technical limitations of the systems. Hence, they were no more realistic to play but just looked a bit drab and lifeless.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                I think the thing is that the games that aimed for realism back then couldn't actually pull it off due to the technical limitations of the systems. Hence, they were no more realistic to play but just looked a bit drab and lifeless.
                Need For Speed on the 3DO opted for a more down to earth aesthetic and realistic feel, but many would say it looked drab and felt a bit boring. The same for many 3D racers that aimed for a realistic tone.

Seeing that Namco's System 22 arcade board didn't force artists to use lots of bright colours and other bright dayglow features, the aesthetic design of Ridge Racer must have been carefully considered. I think it's obvious that the overall design - colourful game world, rave music, excitable commentator, exaggerated car handling - was crafted to create a feeling of an environment beyond reality. I'm sure it wasn't down to technical limitations why every component of Ridge Racer is over the top. The developer obviously crafted a clear style that they thought would appeal to gamers craving ultra reality thrills. If they had wanted to create a more sterile looking sim-like experience, they could have. I'm glad they didn't, because as much as more down to earth racers can be enjoyable, I still enjoy arcade racers that have over the top stylings.

I'm pretty sure if someone released a modern arcade-style racer that had bright, colourful visuals, and an overall artistic design to the game world, it wouldn't sell very well on consoles. I think the majority of racer fans now want their games to have a down to earth look and feel. They want real world tracks and a feeling of stark reality. I don't think many want creative racers with a distinct flavour. That's a shame, but at least the more sim style racers can be fun to play. I'd personally like all sorts of racing games to make things interesting, but I just don't think publishers think there's much of a market for them away from Mario Kart on Nintendo machines.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-09-2018, 09:38.

Comment

Had the chance to get this one for a rather small amount (less than 100€) and couldn't resist.

It's a bit of a strange game, of course, because it's actually a Neo CD exclusive and therefore lacks the music on this conversion. But since I don't own a Neo Geo CD this was my only chance to ever play it, and I figured many arcade machines had the volume turned down anyway, so it could be viewed as kind of authentic, or something.

It's best described as a horizontal "Puzzle Bobble", maybe? I am mainly interested in the versus mode (which wouldn't let me hear the music anyway due to expected constant verbal abuse of the competitor, and vice versa )

Comment

Surely you’d be better off with a NeoSD?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      Surely you’d be better off with a NeoSD?
                      For most people that would be true. Not me though. Having a real physical cartridge for a game (or a disc) makes such a HUGE difference for me....I'd go so far to say that I couldn't really enjoy the same game playing from SD card compared to using a physical copy.

It's pretty silly, I am well aware of that. But I tried...I really did. Before getting back into Neo Geo I did everything to avoid continuing down that path, so I tried not only PS2 compilations but also Virtual Console, and those ports are pretty damn good. I even got Neo Geo sticks for the real experience. But no, not a chance. Just isn't the same for me by a longshot.

Also, I don't need that many more Neo Geo games until I have all of those that I want. Four more fighters, one shmup, "Riding Hero", "Crossed Swords", and maybe another sports game like golf or basketball.

Thanks for the pointer, though!

Comment

With the Neo SD you're still putting a physical cartridge in to the machine, if owning a box for the shelf is a big thing you could buy one for it and put any insert in it you want. Much better than paying money for a garbage conversion cart that doesn't even run properly!

Comment

It runs perfectly fine sans music.

And of course you're right, there is a single cartridge for using that SD cart, but that's just not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                            For most people that would be true. Not me though. Having a real physical cartridge for a game (or a disc) makes such a HUGE difference for me....I'd go so far to say that I couldn't really enjoy the same game playing from SD card compared to using a physical copy.
                            I get ya. I’m looking at getting some bootlegs of Cave Story and Wolfenstein 3D for Mega Drive once their respective developers release final versions. I’d sooner have a high quality repro than just stick them on SD/Everdrive. For me Everdrives are for expensive games I can never justify forking out for.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                              It's pretty silly, I am well aware of that. But I tried...I really did.
                              If you can comfortably afford paying high prices for games - and having physical copies makes you feel more connected to the games, then you are simply doing what makes you happy. I think there's a ritual aspect to buying boxed games and having something tangible that creates a feeling of excitement and interest that you don't really get when using roms.

Of course, lots of people are perfectly happy to use roms; it doesn't detract from their gaming experience. I'm like that to a degree, so I can happily play roms of all sorts of games, but I still enjoy going back to physical copies and buying boxed games now and then. Roms are mostly about convenience, or enabling me to play games that I couldn't afford.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-09-2018, 06:41.

Comment

I think you're missing my point, I've got no issue with owning original games, you've seen my old Neo collection.

The Zintrick 'conversion' though, all that is will be a rom that a genuine cart will have been sacrificed to make. So it's no better than a Neo SD, if anything it's worse. The way retro gaming is going on the scarcity spectrum these days it doesn't make a lot of sense.

EDIT TO ADD:

In the past I've bought conversion carts myself for the Neo, and although I'd obviously rather have owned the originals at the time they were my only option to play certain games on genuine hardware, had the Neo SD been available back then I'd never have bought them though. Just my alternative opinion.
                                Last edited by Colin; 11-09-2018, 08:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X