Show us your game related objects 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I'm not telling people how to spend their money, I was just surprised at the price.
    I'm out of the loop on PCs as I really enjoyed my time with it, but it was just over too quick as I had to start replacing components when games refused to run.

I'm totally happy with my set up and a PC doesn't feature.

Each to their own, but you've got to be the type who's just as happy configuring the performance of the games as actually playing them.
    "Hmmm - blade of grass textures on. Blade of grass textures off. Blade of grass textures 62%. Blade of grass textures 63%. Hows the FPS now? Okay, let's move on to the sky filters..."
    Yeah I got here last week; sold my PC to a guy at work. Cost of PCVR > £1k, or £500 for a PS4 and VR. I always spent more time dicking around than gaming on PC.

Comment

I got lost half way through that, to be honest, Supes.
      Essentially, that £500-£700 cost is easy if you're someone likely to buy multiple consoles as it nil and voids the need for much of what you're already spending.

I spent £700 but I've easily recouped a lot, if not all of that by now by gaming on PC

Comment

I don't really want to get into a PC Vs. Consoles debate.
        We're all big boys now, we know what we want out of our gaming time and make our own choices.

I've got two kids and a limited gaming time.
        I like pressing a button on my universal remote and everything turning on and I'm gaming in seconds.
        With new games, I can buy online in my lunchbreak at work and by the time I'm home, the console's downloaded and installed it ready to go.

Others get a thrill knowing they have the best PC kit money can buy or, the best kit in their price range, and seeing how far they can push their rig.

Some people love 1080p 60fps 4K UHD hi-res texture packs.

I'm happy fighting as stick men in One Finger Death Punch!

Comment

Each to their own, but you've got to be the type who's just as happy configuring the performance of the games as actually playing them."Hmmm - blade of grass textures on. Blade of grass textures off. Blade of grass textures 62%. Blade of grass textures 63%. Hows the FPS now? Okay, let's move on to the sky filters..."
          For me that just isn't true at all.

Although you check settings it's a luxury to have them, rather than not. Particularly if you're running a high end setup or running at a lower resolution and generally can run things at max and not worry about settings. I think consoles with installations, patches, online and frame rate issues have become more like PC's and the extra steps required to game on PC can be minimal. I just bought Dying Light on PS4 (£14.99 from Amazon) but had I bought it for the PC (£15.99 on Humble) I'd have been running in pretty much the same time.

I do agree that people can really get into this stuff, or spend forever on things like Skyrim modding and of course when things go wrong troubleshooting can be a pain. And getting some old games to run (*cough* KOTOR) can be difficult, but places like GOG have made it much simpler with built in installers and emulation. So compared to 10 or 20 years ago, consoles have got more complicated whilst PC's have got easier. The lines have blurred. It's certainly nothing like comparing plugging your Sonic cart into the MD whilst the PC gamer had to edit the EMS memory or IRQ interrupts to get a game to run.

I think as [MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION] alluded to, most people need a PC and therefore adding the cost of GPU and RAM on brings the costs to similar levels. But certainly at the start of this generation is possible to build a console-beating PC probably for £500 or so, but now that's going to be nearer double that, if not more. And high-end setups have got particularly expensive. Obviously some of this will be down to mid-gen console upgrades being more powerful, but equally some PC parts have skyrocketing in price. And of course in the UK we are feeling it even worse due to the devaluation of the £pound.

For me apart from the fact a PC is needed for other things, the wealth of PC-only games and experiences is simply too big to ignore.
          Last edited by Digfox; 18-05-2018, 11:35.

Comment

My Asus G74SX (gaming laptop) with a GTX560m 3GB cost me around £2,000 six years ago. I've probably made around a quarter of a million pounds on it, and spent almost 500 hours on Skyrim, with around the same amount of time spent optimising the game for 60FPS and game play overhauls. It still serves me well for 95% of last-gen offerings (think of a 360 X). Who knows how much time I've spent on everything else...

With a 1080ti (or two, undecided yet) I'm going to be able to throw mostly everything at it and get 1440p/144FPS in my office, or 4K/60FPS in the living room. I'm going to save a ton of time tweaking stuff [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]. Really looking forward to Skyrim VR with most of the mods once the HDR headsets get released.

I'll upgrade to a 1180ti in 2019 or 2020, and likely change my entire system again in 2022. Although there's no need to be ultra-obsessive over upgrades, especially if competitive gaming takes its grip.

Anyways... it turns out the card is coming from the exact same place in Germany as my two smashed in BVMs came from, using the exact same courier and taking the exact same route. If there's as much as a scratch on the outer box I'm not signing for it. :angry:

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              With a 1080ti (or two, undecided yet) I'm going to be able to throw mostly everything at it and get 1440p/144FPS in my office, or 4K/60FPS in the living room. I'm going to save a ton of time tweaking stuff @QualityChimp. Really looking forward to Skyrim VR with most of the mods once the HDR headsets get released.
              Always loved seeing some of the stuff you posted about how amazing Skyrim could look with a bit (a lot) of tweaking.
              I look forward to seeing what this new beast can achieve.

I don't remember you talking about playing the game all that much or if you ever completed it, so I still stand by my statement of you enjoying the tweaking element if you're a high-end PC gamer!

Comment

I don't remember you talking about playing the game all that much or if you ever completed it, so I still stand by my statement of you enjoying the tweaking element if you're a high-end PC gamer!
                I started three different characters and made it to the mid-game of the Requiem overhaul on each one. I'm sure some of me gushing over the survival aspects of the various overhauls still exists in the thread somewhere. I was basically having too much fun playing to type anything about it unless I was bored at work - which I haven't been this past couple of years as I've been too busy working for myself.

I stopped playing late last year as I figured I'd save my penultimate run for VR. Besides, it loses a lot of the effect once your character becomes reasonably hard and fights become more trivial. :/

Comment

My Hyperspin PC has arrived seemingly, very much looking forward to flying home today and trying it out!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      Is that game any good?

Was going to pick it for the PS3 a while back

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        Is that game any good?
                        Was going to pick it for the PS3 a while back
                        If you like scrolling beat'em'ups, yes. It's very similar to Shadows Over Mystara, though the branching paths in Dragon's aren't as diverse as in Mystara.

Comment

It's here!

Comment

It's here!

Noyce, that thing should fly i have a gtx 1060, which seems to run pretty much anything on high and some things on ultra, it even Handle's vr pretty nicely.

as ive moved over into pc gaming i've never felt the need to resort to featuring Nazi symbolism in my avatar though! do you not find it a bit disturbing how out of context its all been taken its almost like a badge of honor now, I'm pretty sure yatzee didn't intend for it to be taken that way

Edit -- yup he didn't

Last edited by Lebowski; 22-05-2018, 13:21.

Comment

It's here!
                              Did you manage to sneak that in past the missus alright, dD?

Comment

I made it known I was buying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X