No announcement yet.

Show us your game related objects 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] - that book is amazing. (Pun intended)

Where is it from, as it looks really interesting.

I was particularly obsessed with Pac-Land as a kid.

In fact, seeing that Pac plushie reminds me of two times it made me look suspicious:
    1 - In Rhyl, as a kid I saw someone had a Pac-Man plush on the parcel shelf of their car and me gawking at it looked like I wanted to break in.
    2 - As a fully grown adult male, I saw a kid had a Pac-Man plushie at Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) and slightly too excitedly exclaimed "WOAH! Where did you get that Pac-Man plush?!" and the the kid sloooowly pulled the plush towards him and pointed to the distance.

Comment

Dammit, I want to talk more Pac-Man (hyphenated like Spider-Man).

Although I like the original, I like how they managed to have some really interesting spin-offs over the years.

Super Pac-Man was a family fave at the arcades. The special power pill that made him massive and stomped over the ghosts were great.

Pac and Pal was a curio. Pretty sure I played it at the arcade at Drayton Manor as a kid. It's got Pac-Man video game at the top and pinball at the bottom. The Pac-Baby was involved. I remember next to it was a basketball game, Jordan V. Bird, maybe.

I think I only played the DS drawing one (Pac 'n' Pix?) on a demo booth, so I remember it being innovative but no great memories.

I remember seeing Pac-Mania for the first time and it was an impressive cab, loud and with a tall screen.
      The thing that impressed me was the light reflections on the sprites. They were so good, I was unsure if they were real-time, but in reality, they were just really well drawn.

So, finally my fave, Pac-Land. The graphics really clicked as a kid, with Pac's smile and various expressions made him likeable. Having legs and arms was a step up from being a ball.
      The theme, despite being repetitive, was amazing and is one that'll stick in my head forever. I only really caught the cartoon a couple of times (was it on Wac-a-day?), but loved how they'd created this world.
      I think the that wowed me the most was the little tricks you could discover like jumping at the right time as you approached break time gave you a bigger bonus and pushing the fire hydrant gave you a helmet to protect you from the ghosts in biplanes dropping their ghost babies on you (whut?).

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] - that book is amazing. (Pun intended)

Where is it from, as it looks really interesting.

I was particularly obsessed with Pac-Land as a kid.

In fact, seeing that Pac plushie reminds me of two times it made me look suspicious:
        1 - In Rhyl, as a kid I saw someone had a Pac-Man plush on the parcel shelf of their car and me gawking at it looked like I wanted to break in.
        2 - As a fully grown adult male, I saw a kid had a Pac-Man plushie at Six Flags Great Adventure (New Jersey) and slightly too excitedly exclaimed "WOAH! Where did you get that Pac-Man plush?!" and the the kid sloooowly pulled the plush towards him and pointed to the distance.

It's from a company called cook & becker, they sell 3 versions the regular edition is about £44, the collectors edition is about £80 (thats the one i got) then you can go one better and get a collectors edition but it's signed by Touru Iwatani but it's wallet busting expensive at £280

While i grew up in the prime era of pac-man i didn't actually get to play it in the arcades i rarely ever got to goto the seaside let alone anywhere that would have arcades in great numbers to find a machine. My exposure to pac-man was through toys or friends that had consoles/toys. I remember the grandstand munchman vfd handheld i had as a kid it wasn't authentic but at that age i didn't care used to play it for hours on those c cell batteries till they eventually went dead.

Various friends in the neighbourhood had different lcd handheld versions so i got to play on theirs when i went over to play also one rich kid on the estate had an atari 2600 so we used to play the god awful version of pac-man at his but any version was better than no version. Only other memory of stuff like that is these weird little trading cards that had pac-man mazes on them and you played by scratching off the silver dots, you didn't win anything by playing they were just fun things to collect.

Nowadays i'm kind of spoiled for pac-man goodness, can access most by playing mame or my various console versions. The only thing i do regret is not jumping on the baby pacman pinball table when i had the oppertunity to snag one for £700 it was in reasonable condition too. Luckily leeds arcade club has one floating around, played a few times. Do still like collecting the odd bit of pac-man stuff though love that quarter arcade replica & even the teeny tiny arcade ones too.

Last edited by importaku; 20-10-2021, 12:43.

Comment

RIP Hiroshi Ono

Comment

I liked Pac Land. It was a bit basic compared to other arcades of it's time but it did have a charm. I think there's small differences in the various versions. I had a friend who got hooked to the arcade version but it was in a very dodgy arcade / cafe and looking back I do find it funny that he risked the various dangers just to play Pac Land.

Comment

I used to play Pac-Land at the (long dead) Tickled Pink arcade in Ingoldmells, it was great. Even when it was clearly an old game, I think it held up well visually so it seemed to be there years longer than you'd expect it to be.

Comment

Just a couple of pickups today, a replacement badge after some piece of trash at work stole the one i had on my labcoat, guess the game it's from should be easy hehe. The NHS is a hive of scum & villany.

And a copy of Honk honk the game, starting to search pretty deep into exactly what is available on the indie side and there's a load of stuff i have yet to pick up so i'm starting with the easy stuff first as a lot are locked behind limited run style releases for a few of the indies i'm after. Indie is such a good match for the switch plus some of them go all out you can tell they really took pride in their release, puts even nintendo to shame just look a full colour manual a full colour map and even a silly little no goose allowed sticker.

Comment

The physical version of Honk Honk is excellent.

Comment

My son has a honk honk shirt.

Great little game, by the way, if you're thinking of shelving without playing!

Comment

I buy games to play i never just buy & shelve them for collecting only. So far managed to get onto the street. Done nearly all of the first lot of to do stuff apart from figure out how to make the gardener wear his sun hat yet. Last one was to get him to hit his thumb which got me through the back gate.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        My son has a honk honk shirt.

Great little game, by the way, if you're thinking of shelving without playing!
                        My partner and i went through it, well she did as she loves puzzles and found it hilarious being a goose honking at everyone. I then bought the physical to support the dev more than anything. Its a lovely physical version though.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          I buy games to play i never just buy & shelve them for collecting only. So far managed to get onto the street. Done nearly all of the first lot of to do stuff apart from figure out how to make the gardener wear his sun hat yet. Last one was to get him to hit his thumb which got me through the back gate.
                          Oo-er missus!

Comment

OH man, just picked up a milk bottle and tried honking. Pissed myself at the muffled honks that sound exactly like they would if you stuffed a bottle on a gooses head

Comment

Got the My Nintendo No More Hero poster set and got some frames for them.

Comment

They look nice in frames, was looking last night on there to use my my plat points there wasn't much pickings so i went with a switch cart carry case.

More new games today

Comment

Working...
                                X