X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we have a 'Bollocks' option?

And a Talks Bollocks leaderboard?

Comment

That would be awesome, although I already know who would be at the top.

Comment

How dare you, sir.

Comment

Hmm. This sort of feedback system often leads to people changing their posting styles. Not a good idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
            Hmm. This sort of feedback system often leads to people changing their posting styles. Not a good idea...
            I agree.

I particularly dislike post voting systems because of the weird circular logic that it engenders.

"Why do you want to get rid of it? It doesn't matter. It's just a pointless number."
            "Well if it's pointless then get rid of it.
            "Well you can't get rid of it, it's useful."
            "Why?"
            "Why do you want to get rid of it. It doesn't matter. It's just a pointless number..."

And repeat.

Comment

I like the idea. I quite often appreciate something someone has written but don't have the time or inclination to post a reply. Or I have the time but feel a textual response doesn't add anything to the conversation but I'd like to let the poster know that I appreciated some information or advice they'd given

Comment

Another vote for ditching the new buttons here. Or even just hiding them from peeps that don't want to see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  I like the idea. I quite often appreciate something someone has written but don't have the time or inclination to post a reply. Or I have the time but feel a textual response doesn't add anything to the conversation but I'd like to let the poster know that I appreciated some information or advice they'd given
                  Asura's hit the nail on the head here, I feel. Your intent is fine but in practice, people who would otherwise post in response may not be inclined to. I can't think of a forum where less discussion is ever a good thing.*

Apart from NeoGAF, obviously.

Comment

Anything that means more scrolling to read a thread and fewer comments on screen at any time due to valuable screen space being taken up by likes and thanks is a bad thing. Get rid.

Fortunately they don't seem to be visible on the mobile skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                      Asura's hit the nail on the head here, I feel. Your intent is fine but in practice, people who would otherwise post in response may not be inclined to. I can't think of a forum where less discussion is ever a good thing.*

Apart from NeoGAF, obviously.
                      It's not just my intent though. It's my reality. I will hit that button in cases where I would previously have done nothing. I'll still respond by actually typing stuff just as often as I would have previously. If we can get the button into a bit of screen space that currently is blank then there's no reason not to have them as they'll be taking nothing away from the layout.

Comment

Yeah, it is a bit like faving on twitter, where it has become 'I like that tweet but I have nothing more to add'. It can just be a good way of acknowledging a post that you otherwise wouldn't have replied to anyway. Or an extra show of appreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Yeah, it is a bit like faving on twitter, where it has become 'I like that tweet but I have nothing more to add'. It can just be a good way of acknowledging a post that you otherwise wouldn't have replied to anyway. Or an extra show of appreciation.
                          I find that different, because although Twitter allows "replies" it isn't a conversational medium.

Forums are for discussion.

Comment

True but in the same way I often want to show my appreciation for a post but not clutter the topic with a thanks post that adds nothing to the topic yet takes much more space than a number in a like box.

Comment

Fyi, on Tapatalk they are brilliant. On the Web they are clunky.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                True but in the same way I often want to show my appreciation for a post but not clutter the topic with a thanks post that adds nothing to the topic yet takes much more space than a number in a like box.
                                Yeah, if someone posts something funny I'd rather just hit a like button than feel compelled to post "lol" in the thread. The like system definitely has uses and doesn't really stifle discussion. If you've hit like rather than responding you probably didn't have a great deal to add anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X