No announcement yet.

Likes and Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EvilBoris has tidied them up a bit (thanks).

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      EvilBoris has tidied them up a bit (thanks).
      Not really they are still there!

Can you not just make it show a number instead of the name & if you want to see who actually liked the post click on the number.

Since it seems that no matter what we think we are having them it would be better that we didn't have a whole massive list of names under a post & just a number instead

Comment

I think it's a good idea too. As mentioned above, sometimes I've actually thought it'd be good to like a post, even though I've not really got anything to add. Posting 'good post' or similar while adding nothing else is more likely to disrupt the flow of discussion than a simple like.

people who would otherwise post in response may not be inclined to
        I really doubt that'd be a major issue. If someone clicks like instead of posting 'thanks', 'good post' or whatever without adding to the discussion, then where's the harm? If someone's got something to add, they'll add it.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
          Not really they are still there!

Can you not just make it show a number instead of the name & if you want to see who actually liked the post click on the number.

Since it seems that no matter what we think we are having them it would be better that we didn't have a whole massive list of names under a post & just a number instead
          It's just for a few weeks. If there's not enough interest I'll uninstall it.

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] you are not we Some of us like it! The trick is giving the facility to those that want it without it getting in the way for those who don't I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              @Soundwave you are not we Some of us like it! The trick is giving the facility to those that want it without it getting in the way for those who don't I guess
              Well there are enough of us in this thread for it to be more than just me so that's why I used we

I'm not 100% against it, it works fine on AV Forums but I don't like the extra clutter under the post.
              If it's incorporated into the post itself like on AV forums then it wouldn't be as bad but the extra bar under every post is particularly annoying

Comment

I just don't like having something easily accessible/visible that can be totaled into a number and summarised as a "score".

Especially when you consider we're probably a gathering of people who place more importance in the likes of a numerical score than the average group of people.

For instance, we don't show post-count either, which is good. It forces people to judge others based on their individual contributions, not duration of activity, "score", or anything else.

I dunno. Things are probably different now, in 2015, but certainly in the past I've been on forums where people's contributions are disregarded because of a low post count, or a low "like" count, even with filters for such things. If we're sure we're not going to go down that road, then OK - but the moment we add a "thumbs down" option or stuff like that is the moment I find things take a turn for the worse.

Comment

We could probably look at RLLMUK as a model for whether or not this works- there's an awful amount of squabbling about posses and negs over there that I was glad this forum was free from. Maybe we've been around here and around each other long enough to make crowdpleasing a non-issue though.

Comment

If any of the bad stuff from other places happens here we can just turn it off. I hope we're better than that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                      We could probably look at RLLMUK as a model for whether or not this works- there's an awful amount of squabbling about posses and negs over there that I was glad this forum was free from. Maybe we've been around here and around each other long enough to make crowdpleasing a non-issue though.
                      I honestly think it would be a non-issue here. RLLMUK is quite different in lots of ways and the tone here is much calmer. We don't tend to get attention-seekers or people that are overly concerned with who posts the most, who's been here the longest, etc. I tend to find anyone overly concerned with superficial stuff gets short shrift here.

Comment

A fez next to the post number, that's clearly the way forward from here

Comment

Now is the first time I've browsed the site on a 'proper computer' since having had this on and I can kinda see what folks mean about how it looks, but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. I'm actually surprised that for once things are a little more subtle and clean in Tapatalk - though knowing them, it's only a matter of days until a new update where they completely rehaul things and bugger it all up. As a concept though, I'd be inclined to agree with a lot of folk about it being a nice little way to acknowledge things without the dreaded "THIS" one-word posts. Can't see me being a big user of it, but I don't think it's the death knell of conversation some seem to think it is.

Comment

It will never change our positing style in a place like this. Like this post if you agree.

Comment

Doctors hate this woman

Comment

You won't believe what happens next.

Comment

Working...
                                X