Likes and Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Likes and Thanks

I've installed a "Like" and "Thanks" plugin. I haven't enabled the "Dislike"....

Firstly, I think the formatting needs tidying up a bit so they take less space and there must be some better icons I can find than the ones that came with it.

For now I just want to give it a go for a few weeks to see if it's any good and if anyone uses it. I'll do a poll at the end of the trial.

Note: I have not enabled any notifications for this. Still thinking about that.

Obviously, it's going to look a little weird to start with, as with any change, so please give it a few days before adding any feedback here. But if you have any questions about the plugin, please go ahead and ask.

Thanks.

And if anyone has any suggestions for alternative icons, please link here. Maybe they don't even need to be a face or a thumb - could be something else completely. A giant enemy crab or something gaming related.
    Last edited by charlesr; 09-10-2015, 13:35.

Pac-man fruit!

Comment

Is there a way to turn it off? I don't think I need a few days!

I don't think you need "like" and "thanks" really since they're basically the same thing. "Like" alone would more than cover "thanks." I also don't really need to know who liked every single post, but maybe have that as an option for people who do want to know. Like a clickable button that tells you who liked a post or something. It also needs to be skinned into the actual post rather than as a separate bar underneath because the forum has instantly become much harder to read. Also, said bar doesn't appear below my own posts so I couldn't see who liked them even if anyone did.

Is there a way to turn it off?

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
        Is there a way to turn it off? I don't think I need a few days!

I don't think you need "like" and "thanks" really since they're basically the same thing. "Like" alone would more than cover "thanks." I also don't really need to know who liked every single post, but maybe have that as an option for people who do want to know. Like a clickable button that tells you who liked a post or something. It also needs to be skinned into the actual post rather than as a separate bar underneath because the forum has instantly become much harder to read. Also, said bar doesn't appear below my own posts so I couldn't see who liked them even if anyone did.

Is there a way to turn it off?
        This

I'd like them turned off as well, really obtrusive & I don't think we need them.
        Unless you can implement them like on AV Forums then I'd rather they weren't here at all.

Comment

Obviously, it's going to look a little weird to start with, as with any change, so please give it a few days before adding any feedback here
          Which part of the above wasn't clear?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Didn't bother reading it tbh

Saw they had appeared under posts in other threads (& assumed posts had been deleted not that we could like or say thanks) & then realised what they were...saw there was thread about them & posted my dislike for them...I'd have ticked a tab as well if there'd been one

So sorry about that but yeah don't like take them away

Neil

Comment

More clutter.

Don't like this at all if I'm honest. There's no reason to have them either, we're not teenagers here.

Comment

Well we're not allowed to use naughty swear words

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                I did address this! The like system in general is fine, but it's incredibly haphazard at the moment like no thought has gone into the implementation at all. The layout's a mess, it doesn't take a few days to see that.

Comment

I just noticed that dogg has used the like and thank buttons on the posts that are asking for those buttons to be removed. Genius! (I'm assuming deliberate irony was intended)

Comment

It was! You get a like for that!

By the way, I quite like the feature - I'm sure Charles will get it all nice as he mentions in his first post. Let's see how the test goes!

Comment

I reckon we've been infiltrated by a group of 14 year olds who are messaging from the back seat of a double decker via their mobiles. Who else would be after all these functions?

If they can be implemented in a way that incorporates them into the existing layout then they're fine as they're neither here nor there, I think they'll grate atm purely because they're so intrusive to the layout.

Comment

I think I agree that there's no need for thanks and likes, so have turned thanks off.

I've had a look at the layout and integrating it into the post (like AVforums) is part of the pro version. I'm digging around to see if I can code it myself.

Comment

If you have a look at the "at work" style, there's all sorts of crazy stuff that doesn't appear in the V3 style.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            More clutter.

Don't like this at all if I'm honest. There's no reason to have them either, we're not teenagers here.
                            Unfortunately I have to agree.

You know if people "like" your post because people engage with it, quote it, keep discussing etc.

I've never liked this kind of stuff; I think it actually reduces discussion.

Comment

Yeah, have to agree, just clutters things up too much imo.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                              X