WRC 5 ps4 mini review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WRC 5 ps4 mini review

Another year, another update - new developer this time (which has made some really bad games) and the 1st rally game for the current gen consoles (but also released on last gen to). I like rally games; but not a big rally fan -so i focus more on the technical side of the game, than how accurate the livery/teams/2015 line up etc are, although it seems all boxes have been ticked.

its abit of a mixed bag - and the dirt fans will probably buckle over laughing; however it plays quite nice, looks good and can be very challenging. A true test of a rally game for me is the damage model - do tyres blow out, wheels come off, doors buckle, panels fall off, glass crack etc etc. WRC 5 get some off it right, but most of it wrong. I have pranged the left rear bumper and crumple damage magically appeared across the whole bumper; rolled the car and there was damage all over, except the doors, which were clearly hit. Silly stuff that shouldn't have got through QC. Haven't seen any wheel or tyre damage yet, so i hope its in there

The simulated damaged is excellent though - the handbrake can fail, electronics damage can occur (resulting in pace notes not being relayed and being replaced with static), gearbox damage, resulting in difficulties getting out of gear etc

Graphically its rather nice too, with nice lighting, scenery etc, but poor visable weather effects - all very last gen and quite possible the gen before that in some occasions. Replays arent great either - very bog standard with poor sensation of speed (the actual game seems to suffer from this too, as 100mph felt like 50mph.

The frame rate is the killer for me - hovering probably around the 45-55 fps mark, dropping to around 30 alot of the time. its abit distracting, but not a deal breaker. Why there isnt an option to lock it, i'll never know - surely it couldnt be too difficult. Some minor screen tear / wobble too - i really thought i'd seen the last of that.

I'll add some more review detail when I have time, but to summarise;

Pros

Decent graphics/car models
    detailed scenery
    excellent simulated damage (gameplay)
    fantastic sounding engine noises
    good physics - cars move and roll fairly accurately
    nice lighting and night racing

Cons

ropey visual damage model
    unacceptable frame rate (why was it just not locked at 30 fps?)
    minor screen tear/wobble
    slightly slug-ish control
    poor sensation of speed
    dodgy weather effects
    not many cars to choose from (although some may be unlockable?)

i'll give it abit more time, before getting shot of it (this mini review was done on the basis of a 4 hr session). So a rather average 6 score from me
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Why is 30 fps even considered when a game is literally a car and track? Shocking how poor console rally games have been in the HD era.

Comment

if we had the weather of drive club, the framerate of Forza 6 and the damage model of flatout, we would have a serious winner on our hands!

Comment

Working...
      X