The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    If you have three doses you no longer need a test already, but you still need to register and submit your vaccination certificates for review before entering the country.
    Seems a bit daft as those vaccines aren't going to be helping if they were administered more than a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      If you have three doses you no longer need a test already, but you still need to register and submit your vaccination certificates for review before entering the country.
      Yes we are aware thanks, me and wfiey are quadrupelo vaxed but daughter is only double so she'll have to fork out for a PCR test should the rules remain unchanged.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      Seems a bit daft as those vaccines aren't going to be helping if they were administered more than a few months ago.
      From memory last year it was around nine months from jab date for Europe entry, our triple jab ran out I think in September.

Comment

I had my second bout of Covid seven months after my third jag. I’m still aiming to get to Japan at the start of October but got a few things needing sorted out before then. And a friend over in Poland is now looking to join in the fun too so need to synchronize holidays and flights etc with him too.

Comment

Just to add, the window for the seasonal vax here ran out 12th Feb so daughter couldn't get one.

Booked our flights yesterday. We'll find out in May whether covid has been downgraded or not, fingers crossed.

Comment

Confirmed, no requirement for PCR for the unwashed and don't have to show jab status for the ones with sense.

Comment

I went to book my trip to Japan but couldn’t get the tour I wanted. Ended up selecting a more expensive tour but there was only one space left. And the next available date didn’t suit. Aarrggh!
              My friend graciously said he would forego the trip but that’s not fair so I’m thinking it’s not happening this year. Gutted.

Comment

That's tough sorry to hear it, can you do a DIY one instead.

I picked up our Yen today and my IDP.

Comment

Yeah, I'd go without a tour. If you stick to the big cities you won't have any problem without knowing Japanese. I had a fairly easy time in less trafficked places like Izumo and Matsue this year too, and going alone gives you more flexibility on what to visit and when.

Comment

I went to book my trip to Japan but couldn’t get the tour I wanted. Ended up selecting a more expensive tour but there was only one space left. And the next available date didn’t suit. Aarrggh!
                    My friend graciously said he would forego the trip but that’s not fair so I’m thinking it’s not happening this year. Gutted.
                    Dude, you don't need a tour. I came to Japan 4 times between 1996 and 1998 with sod all Japanese skills. Smartphones didn't exist then and neither did digital maps. I had very few issues back then. These days with modern tech, there's absolutely zero reason to be worried about a language gap.
                    You'll be fine. Stay relaxed and take you're time. You'll have no problems, especially if you're in the big cities.

Comment

Cheers for the advice lads.
                      Must admit I'm still seriously considering just taking the tour on my own. I wasn't intending to spend much time in the cities but had a couple of nights in Tokyo before flying home. It's all about classical Japan for this trip. The tour included all sorts of stuff like tea ceremony and washi paper making. It's not fancy hotels mostly on tatami and futons in ryokans.
                      The convenience of having everything arranged is very appealing. I'm viewing this as something of a taster trip so I can see if there are places I'd like to spend more time in the future. The big cities can wait. Osaka does look like foodie paradise.
                      My new lady friend would also like to go but she has ME and couldn't manage such a trip just yet. She is getting better and maybe by next October she could manage.
                      First world problems eh?!

Comment

As with Yakumo I first went in the 90's (1994), arrived with a rail pass and managed to sort out a shinkansen one-way to Hiroshima with a flight back HIJ-HND for a day trip without any bother, I did get on the wrong tram in Hiroshima though! Much easier now in the digital age.
                        Your trip did look good though looking at it, there is loads to see and do outside Tokyo. We like Osaka very much - we use KIX as our arrival and departure airport.
                        Hope your lady has a speedy recovery.

Comment

Well after a couple of lengthy calls yesterday I got it all sorted out. I'm finally going to Japan!!!
                          I'm going on my own so got hit with a single person supplement and the flight prices had climbed a fair bit too although I guess they might fall within the October break now. And it saves adding more travelling time getting to and from Heathrow.
                          I've basically spent everything I had saved for the trip before I even leave! Need to get saving for some spending money.
                          Now crossing my fingers that I can catch a band that I like while in Tokyo.
                          It feels weird typing this, I'm not sure it's really sunk in yet.

Comment

Well after a couple of lengthy calls yesterday I got it all sorted out. I'm finally going to Japan!!!
                            I'm going on my own so got hit with a single person supplement and the flight prices had climbed a fair bit too although I guess they might fall within the October break now. And it saves adding more travelling time getting to and from Heathrow.
                            I've basically spent everything I had saved for the trip before I even leave! Need to get saving for some spending money.
                            Now crossing my fingers that I can catch a band that I like while in Tokyo.
                            It feels weird typing this, I'm not sure it's really sunk in yet.
                            You'll have a great time.
                            I'm not sure how big the band you want to see is but I track concerts from these two sites. Both in Japanese though.
                            ウドー会員サービス,,ニュース,オフィシャルファンクラブ,公式ファンクラブサイト,ファンクラブ特典,ファンクラブ限定,ファンクラブ先行,ファンクラブ入会,ファンクラブ会員,ファンクラブ会報,ファンクラブ会員証,ファンクラブチケット,チケットぴあ,ぴあファンクラブサービス,チケット販売

サマーソニックを始めとするロック・フェス、国内外アーティストのライヴを企画制作するプロモーター、クリエイティブ

Comment

Travel is so easy now with smartphones, just look up the options for a tourist SIM with a big data allowance and grab it from the airport when you get there. It's a must-have for most international travel I reckon, worth the £20-30 or so. It's a lot easier than trying to rely on free Wi-Fi, even if you can find it in most places it's a faff having to find and log in to half of them.

Obviously if you stick around tourist areas you'll probably find English signs, but Google Translate with the live view translation is amazing for when there's a random notice sellotaped on a toilet door or a cheap product has some label on it and you don't know if it means "great discount" or "faulty item". But having the apps for stuff like the subway system, rail services or whatever can save you a whole load of bother. You can usually get them installed before you even go.

Another good reason is if you've got an airline where you can pre-select your seats a day or two before travel, you can log on and sort a nice one for the return trip before everyone swipes the good ones!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                                Travel is so easy now with smartphones, just look up the options for a tourist SIM with a big data allowance and grab it from the airport when you get there. It's a must-have for most international travel I reckon, worth the £20-30 or so. It's a lot easier than trying to rely on free Wi-Fi, even if you can find it in most places it's a faff having to find and log in to half of them.
                                I'd personally go with a mobile hotspot, I usually rent from these guys and always had no problems.
                                Don't forget to fill in all the forms at Visit Japan, saves a ton of time when getting into the country.
                                If you fly back from Haneda, be sure to be there at least a couple of hours in advance: when I flown back in April the queue for security checks was so long it went all the way from the actual checks (metal detectors and so on) to the airline check-in desks; it was relatively fast-moving, but you never know. It's still less people than Narita, but Narita is better prepared for many visitors at once.

Comment

Working...
                                X