No announcement yet.

The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm staying here next month. I've stayed here previously when it was under the Chisun chain and it was very good. Basic but comfortable which is all that matters. I'm not flying 6000 miles to enjoy the inside of a hotel room.

Close to Haneda and on the Ginza line so direct to Shibuya and Suehirocho for Akiba.

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
      I stayed in the citadines it was excellent even had a little kitchen and a decent bath in the bathroom.

did not try the wifi as I rented a Mifi box when I went for about ?30 for a week unlimited just dropped it off in the postbox at narita on the way home was a lifesaver
      Where do you rent the Mi-Fi boxes from in Narita?

I sometimes stay at the IBIS in shinjuku, but wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple of nights. The rooms are tiny, most of the Windows barely open and face bird **** encrusted walls and AC isn't strong enough. Great location and price tho.

I stayed a the Tokyo Dome hotel in December, it was surprisingly inexpensive (I wasn't paying anyway) less than 100 quid a night.
      It's a nice walk to Akiba (if that's where people go for games these days?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger View Post
        Where do you rent the Mi-Fi boxes from in Narita?

I sometimes stay at the IBIS in shinjuku, but wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple of nights. The rooms are tiny, most of the Windows barely open and face bird **** encrusted walls and AC isn't strong enough. Great location and price tho.

I stayed a the Tokyo Dome hotel in December, it was surprisingly inexpensive (I wasn't paying anyway) less than 100 quid a night.
        It's a nice walk to Akiba (if that's where people go for games these days?)
        I used these

paid for it in the UK by PayPal, they sent it to my hotel (you can pick the airport I think) used it when there then posted it back from the post box in narita airport, jobs a good one

Comment

I used these

paid for it in the UK by PayPal, they sent it to my hotel (you can pick the airport I think) used it when there then posted it back from the post box in narita airport, jobs a good one
          Cheers, will give them a try.

Comment

Used them a couple of years ago, picked the packet at Narita. Excellent coverage as well.

Comment

[MENTION=12011]ETC[/MENTION] Ordered currency today from Traveler.

Loads of places dropped their rate to around 165:1 but Traveler stayed at 168:1.

Comment

Just heading to the airport here in Baku to fly to Tokyo.
                Will be spending 3 staying in Shinjuku, so if you see a drunken old wretch rambling on about Radient Silvergun in any bars around there, then it's probably me.

Comment

Less than 2 weeks until I fly.

Proper excited now!

Glad I ordered currency when I did. Down to ?157:?1 now.

Comment

I always use these guys to convert Yen to Pounds when I visit the UK:

Foreign Currency and Travel Money Exchange, International Payments and Wire Transfers

Their rate is usually about 2Y away from the actual one and there are hardly any queues.

Comment

This time aweek tomorrow I'll just be taking off from Heathrow to Haneda.

Started getting clothes ready for packing yesterday.

My brother-in-law is starting to get excited too.

It's gonna be a great trip!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Started getting clothes ready for packing yesterday.

My brother-in-law is starting to get excited too.

It's gonna be a great trip!
                        Pack light those bloody stairs

Comment

I absolutely hate Heathrow airport. The signage is terrible and the staff are mostly miserable ****ers who can't speak English properly. Manchester is a much more pleasant experience I try to arrive and leave the UK via Manchester whenever I can. Plus it's only a 40 minute drive from Liverpool, BONUS!

But back on topic. Hope you have a great time on your trip but know that most subway stations around Tokyo don't seem to have escalators and only one tinny lift from what I remember. Unlike down in the southern part of Honshu and Kyushu.

Comment

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] [MENTION=12011]ETC[/MENTION]

Yeah. The lack of escalators has always puzzled me. On previous trips I've always wondered how a city that is viewed as "futuristic" can be so backwards with regards to accessibility.

Comment

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] [MENTION=12011]ETC[/MENTION]

Yeah. The lack of escalators has always puzzled me. On previous trips I've always wondered how a city that is viewed as "futuristic" can be so backwards with regards to accessibility.
                              There must be a logistical reason as train stations in other parts of Japan have escalators.

Comment

My personal favourite escalators in Japan are Tokyo Metro Shinochanomizu station, and Tsukuba Express Minami Nagareyama stations.
                                I used to try to run up the one at Minami Nagareyama to make my connection to the Musashino line. I was dead by the time I got to the top.

Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X