No announcement yet.

The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it helps with motivation, a lot of the listening portion of learning is just really about understanding what people are saying - the structure is pretty standard. Missing out contextual words like "I am" or "The thing is" etc. For example, th way to say hello on a hot day is just to ignore the hello part and even the grammar and just say "Hot!". "Atsuiiiii" :-)

BR will have quite an odd language throughout, I would say. If you want to watch films, try more "slice of life" style films.

Comment

Well I was really just watching them because I like them! But yeah, I might go back to watching Terrace House which has everyday real language in it.

Comment

Hi guys,

So I am going back to the land of the rising sun next month, but this time to Osaka and Kyoto. I’ve only ever been to Tokyo a couple of time in the last few years, so to see a different city should be a nice experience.

I’ve organised tourist excursions for a couple of days, but wanted to do a bit of retro gaming shopping. I am staying in Namba, and wanted to know if anyone knows of any decent gaming shops there, retro or current gem stuff, that I could visit...

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
          Hi guys,

So I am going back to the land of the rising sun next month, but this time to Osaka and Kyoto. I’ve only ever been to Tokyo a couple of time in the last few years, so to see a different city should be a nice experience.

I’ve organised tourist excursions for a couple of days, but wanted to do a bit of retro gaming shopping. I am staying in Namba, and wanted to know if anyone knows of any decent gaming shops there, retro or current gem stuff, that I could visit...

Thanks in advance!

I was in Osaka last weekend. I'll be posting a video about it tonight or Sunday. Went through Namba too. Didn't do any game shopping as there's nothing I can't get where I live so I can't help out with the game side of things but you may see some areas on the video that you may like to visit. All are easy to access via the metro (subway) system.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            I was in Osaka last weekend. I'll be posting a video about it tonight or Sunday. Went through Namba too. Didn't do any game shopping as there's nothing I can't get where I live so I can't help out with the game side of things but you may see some areas on the video that you may like to visit. All are easy to access via the metro (subway) system.
            Look forward to seeing that Yakumo, we much prefer Osaka to Tokyo, one of the reasons is we think there is more to see but obviously dependant on the person. Den Den town is the place to go I suppose, I went there a good few years back but wasn't overly impressed and as with Yakumo I can get what I need locally.

Anyway hope you have a good trip.

Comment

I was in Osaka last weekend. I'll be posting a video about it tonight or Sunday. Went through Namba too.
              Yeah, I was gutted when I saw your Osaka videos on YT. I would very much have liked to stalk you while whispering "boooorderssssdowwwwnnn" but we're going in a few weeks. And staying in Namba, believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                Yeah, I was gutted when I saw your Osaka videos on YT. I would very much have liked to stalk you while whispering "boooorderssssdowwwwnnn" but we're going in a few weeks. And staying in Namba, believe it or not.
                I think you mean my Osaka posts for subscribers. The videos aren't up yet. Hopefully tonight I'll get it up.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

I stayed in Osaka last year and went retro game shopping in Den Den Town. I also stayed in Namba. Are you on the main road that runs through? Off there is a large street that goes past an indoor market. Either walk past or head in for some good breakfast treats and carry on down the road and you'll come to Den Den Town. In the streets off to the side you'll fins Super Potato and if you carry down the main road through Den Den Town you'll find Retro TV Game Revival. There's another small store as well.

On the north side of Namba there's a couple of Book Offs which I found loads of good cheap PS1 games.

If you want current gen there's a Sofmap in Den Den with a good selection.

Comment

Hopefully tonight I'll get it up.

Comment

Last week during the first weekend of March 2019, the wife, son and I visited Osaka for the weekend. It's actually quite far from where I live but it was a great trip.
                      We go to a few famous places included Universal Studios Japan.

0:01 - Starting the trip on the Shinkansen
                      01:18 - At the Hotel
                      03:06 - Osaka Castle
                      04:24 - Tsutenkaku Tower and Shinsekai area - Famous restaurant area
                      11:20 - Edo Period Town
                      15:41 - Shinsaibashi Famous shopping area
                      17:49 - Universal Studios Japan - Entrance and Despicable Me area
                      19:17 - Universal Studios Japan - Jurassic Area and ride
                      23:17 - Universal Studios Japan - Back Draft
                      24:54 - Universal Studios Japan - Harry Potter Area
                      28:43 - Universal Studios Japan - Roller Coasters and others

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                        I stayed in Osaka last year and went retro game shopping in Den Den Town. I also stayed in Namba. Are you on the main road that runs through? Off there is a large street that goes past an indoor market. Either walk past or head in for some good breakfast treats and carry on down the road and you'll come to Den Den Town. In the streets off to the side you'll fins Super Potato and if you carry down the main road through Den Den Town you'll find Retro TV Game Revival. There's another small store as well.

On the north side of Namba there's a couple of Book Offs which I found loads of good cheap PS1 games.

If you want current gen there's a Sofmap in Den Den with a good selection.
                        Thanks for the replies all, nice video Yakumo, it offered a nice look at what to expect when I arrive. The weather looked bright and chilly... in fact it reminded me of how Tokyo looks.

Chopemon, I am staying at a hotel I’m Shinsaibashi and looks to be near a few main roads, so I shouldn’t be far off from the places you suggested. Thanks for pointing out these stores for me. I will see how I get on...

Yakumo, I’m actually looming to post some stuff back to myself, to avoid overloading my suitcase. Is it relatively easy to find a post office to send stuff back to the UK?

As a non native speaker, I would have thought it would be like Tokyo. By that I mean, tourist destinations would be English friendly.

Comment

Really enjoyed the video Yakumo, the area around Tsutenkaku Tower is a bit 'rough' according to the wife or 'deep' Osaka as she calls it, also according to her some of the places are run by members of certain 'organisations' but the food is great.
                          Near the tower is the zoo but I would give it a miss, we went a couple of years ago and a lot of the animals look in poor state.

I would add to the Osaka places to visit though,
                          Kaiyukan Aquarium,Tempozan ferris wheel - next to the aquarium and Umeda Sky Building.
                          You are also correct there are now shed loads of Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean visitors in Japan.

Thanks again for the vid, great stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all, nice video Yakumo, it offered a nice look at what to expect when I arrive. The weather looked bright and chilly... in fact it reminded me of how Tokyo looks.

Yakumo, I’m actually looming to post some stuff back to myself, to avoid overloading my suitcase. Is it relatively easy to find a post office to send stuff back to the UK?

As a non native speaker, I would have thought it would be like Tokyo. By that I mean, tourist destinations would be English friendly.
                            Post offices are plentiful. The postal forms all have English on them. If you want to send stuff back fast ask for an EMS label. If not use SAL (SEA AIR LAND) mail. Don't use airmail. It cost more than EMS but slower.
                            The weather for theast two days has been constant rain. Its also quite windy. Not sure about Osaka though.
                            I'll be in Osaka again on April 2nd. I'm seeing the Pet Shop Boys live at Festival Hall.

Comment

Wow, Akihabara has changed hasn’t it?

It’s not the import gaming mecha at all.

Comment

WHAT YEAR IS THIS?!

Comment

Working...
                                X