X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MaxLander (Skylander Backup/Restore Tool) Review review

MaxLander

What is it?

The MaxLander is a USB RFID card reader. It allows an end user to backup data
    from any Skylander figurine and restore it to a MaxLander token - essentially a
    separate RFID chip. The device and accompanying software functions successfully
    with every figurine, magic item, trap and vehicle released across Spyro?s Adventure,
    Giants, SwapForce, TrapTeam and Superchargers.

Note:

To BACKUP and RESTORE SwapForce figurines you will need to use two tokens.
    One for the top half and another for the bottom half.
    MaxLander MaxLander token and RFID chip

What is included for your USD $65.00?

-MaxLander USB RFID card reader
    -one metre mini-USB to USB cable
    -two MaxLander tokens (four pictured)
    -sheet of token inserts

Setup:

The MaxLander is very easy to setup and install:

1. First, download the latest version of the software from http://www.maxlander.com.

2. Next, download the latest version of the extras file. This contains the unique ID for
    all Skylander figurines currently available. Whilst not essential, this file will allow
    the MaxLander to correctly identify the figurine that has been written to the token. To
    install this file, simply place it inside the MaxLander folder. This file can be manually
    updated by following the on-screen instructions.

3. Connect the MaxLander to your computer using the supplied USB cable. The
    MaxLander officially supports Windows 7 and 8. I managed to install and run the
    software successfully using Windows XP after downloading some additional software
    from Microsoft when prompted to do so. There is no MacOS X version - although the
    MaxLander functions as expected using Parallels software.

Using the MaxLander:

1. Place a Skylander figurine on the MaxLander.

2. Select BACKUP and save the data on your figurine as a .BIN file.

3. Place a token on the MaxLander.

4. Select RESTORE and choose the .BIN file to be written to the token.

5. Select RESET to reset the data on the token or figurine. This can also be done in-game.

Who is the MaxLander for?

The MaxLander will appeal mainly to collectors for two reasons. Firstly, you can
    backup a figurine?s data and restore it to a token without needing to use the toy itself.
    The figurine can then remain in it?s packaging on a shelf in pristine condition.
    Secondly, should the RFID chip inside any figurine fail, you can simply restore that
    character?s data to a token and continue to use them. RFID failure in Skylanders is
    not uncommon. My collection consists of more than 250 individual characters, items,
    traps and vehicles. Of these, 4 have failed and are now unable to be used.
    Some will undoubtedly dismiss this device as merely a method of pirating Skylander
    figurines - essentially, downloading the required .BIN files from the internet without
    needing to purchase the original toy. This assumption misses the point with regard to
    the Skylander?s franchise. Much of the fun and enjoyment in this series, especially
    for children, comes from purchasing and playing with the physical toys. To simply
    use a token in place of the real figurine removes much of the excitement from the
    experience.

Verdict:

The MaxLander is a fantastic piece of hardware, especially for dedicated Skylander
    collectors. The device operates flawlessly and the software user interface is both
    simple to use and uncluttered.

Pros:

-easy setup
    -the software is being updated and improved regularly
    -the software is simple to use and the interface is uncluttered
    -the price has recently dropped to USD $65.00 from USD $79.00
    -a current promotion enables a purchaser to receive 3 free tokens
    -the MaxLander works with SkyLander Editor v2.0

Cons:

-the tokens are expensive at USD $10.00 each
    -the token inserts are difficult to remove from the sheet without tearing
    -the token inserts do not include icons for light, dark, air, land and sea

Why does this read like a sales pitch?

Comment

Not meant to. I just own one.

Comment

Pretty cool. I'm playing Nightmare mode with my son, so I would need about 20 tokens though

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Pretty cool. I'm playing Nightmare mode with my son, so I would need about 20 tokens though
          At the moment you get 5 tokens if you put a review up or a youtube video. You can just use a token, die, copy another character onto the token and continue on

Comment

Working...
          X