Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3DS CFW Emulators

Howdy,

I downgraded and put some CFW on my new 3DS last night and was very surprised by the quality of the emulators on here. Arguably they rival the PSP, but are a step below Android stuff such as the JxD.

Just wondered if anyone else has done the same? Almost all SFC games run at 60fps, and it's lovely to play the Ninty classics on an actual Nintendo system on the go. GBA emulation is pretty much perfect too, as is Mega Drive. Just thought I'd give anyone a heads up who's thought about CFW their 3DS - well worth it!
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
    Howdy,

I downgraded and put some CFW on my new 3DS last night and was very surprised by the quality of the emulators on here. Arguably they rival the PSP, but are a step below Android stuff such as the JxD.

Just wondered if anyone else has done the same? Almost all SFC games run at 60fps, and it's lovely to play the Ninty classics on an actual Nintendo system on the go. GBA emulation is pretty much perfect too, as is Mega Drive. Just thought I'd give anyone a heads up who's thought about CFW their 3DS - well worth it!
    I'm using a Gateway card so can play the emus via .cia installs. Agree, the SNES runs perfectly. But, the GBA runs like crap for me. What emu are you using? Do you know if a Jap New 3DS can be switched to say a US system software?
    Last edited by Jaz; 06-02-2016, 13:26.

Comment

I wish Nintendo would have used the 3DS as a SNES/GBA portal. Such a waste.

Comment

Yep. Totally agree. The lack of availability of SNES games on it is baffling.

Comment

What emu are you using? Do you know if a Jap New 3DS can be switched to say a US system software?
          Yes, there are a couple which don't give fullspeed. Get the latest nightly build of retroarch, all the cores (emulators) for the 3DS version run individually. So you'll want to download the gpSP core, runs everything 60fps no probs. Only issues are some small graphical glitches at the top of the image which I can't figure out how to get rid of. It's not the rom, definitely the emulator itself. It is minor however so no real probs.

Retroarch also runs most older arcade roms well: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Toki etc. The Konami scrollers run at about 50 fps without frameskip though sadly. Also you can get CPS1 and 2 cores - runs all that malarky perfectly, as well as MCD stuff via Picodrive.

Yes you can. I think you can change both the SysNAND and EmuNAND, although I think just changing the region on the EmuNAND should do it. The only thing you'll lose is eshop access. This is an older guide, there's definitely newer ones on gbatemp too: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-ch...region.392099/
          Last edited by Escape-To-88; 06-02-2016, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Yep. Totally agree. The lack of availability of SNES games on it is baffling.
            That's the Nintendont way.

Comment

That's the Nintendont way.
              Indeed, yet there's not other games company this gen I'm interested in *shakes fist at Nintendo and forced nostalgia*

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Yes, there are a couple which don't give fullspeed. Get the latest nightly build of retroarch, all the cores (emulators) for the 3DS version run individually. So you'll want to download the gpSP core, runs everything 60fps no probs. Only issues are some small graphical glitches at the top of the image which I can't figure out how to get rid of. It's not the rom, definitely the emulator itself. It is minor however so no real probs.

Retroarch also runs most older arcade roms well: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Toki etc. The Konami scrollers run at about 50 fps without frameskip though sadly. Also you can get CPS1 and 2 cores - runs all that malarky perfectly, as well as MCD stuff via Picodrive.

Yes you can. I think you can change both the SysNAND and EmuNAND, although I think just changing the region on the EmuNAND should do it. The only thing you'll lose is eshop access. This is an older guide, there's definitely newer ones on gbatemp too: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-ch...region.392099/
                Thanks mate, appreciate your help.

Comment

Wicked!

Someone gave me a 3DSLL which has been sitting unplayed but maybe I could do this stuff with it. Much less hassle than my iPhone and PS3 pad.

Thanks for posting as I haven't been keeping up with 3DS hacking.

Comment

No worries - give me a shout if you need any help.

Comment

Thank you! It's been quite the hassle

I got rxTools on but I've already restored my sysnand twice mucking stuff up. Nothing major that couldn't be fixed but for some reason I have to use rxTools 2.5.2 instead of the newer 3.0 even though I'm on 9.2. Also, only having a Mac at home makes it tricky but I ran the PC apps on my work machine to get the necessary files.

Gonna have another bash when I get home in an hour. I'll just take my time and follow the guide again slowly.

If I'm not playing RetroArch on the train tomorrow morning I'll have failed

Comment

Well, I got RetroArch up and running before 12pm today so I didn't fail

Unfortunately, the Genesis Plus core I tried ran at about 20fps. Reading lots of forums, I got the impression home brew on the old 3DS is gimped due to not having access to the full processor or something. I thought maybe it's because I was loading retro arch through the home brew launcher. I tried It running as a CIA but it was still slow.

Then I remembered retro arch has Picodrive...

So far I've been playing sonic and streets of rage 2 at 60fps.

Jesus. I haven't checked what they sound like but I'm hoping they're OK.

Next stop: Street Fighterrrrrr

Comment

Working...
                        X