Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the best developer of the 16-bit period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCL, Konami and EA nobody else really came close

Comment

For the 16 bit era I'd stick Squaresoft a close second, possibly even first. This is coming from someone who doesn't even play RPGs anymore. Just at that time their games almost transcended being games, masterpieces that felt more like works of art. Games like Final Fantasy III (VI), Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) & Chrono Trigger.

Back through that era I used to play all video games with a couple of mates. This was great fun with RPGs as you all get involved in the adventure. I only mention this as I distinctly remember in Final Fantasy III (VI) when a certain character dies (no spoilers), I looked and my friend was literally reduced to tears. I was like wow, the level of depth of the story and characters, we're so emotionally invested in the characters in this game. This felt just completely different, another level above any video game experience I'd had before.
      Last edited by HC_O; 08-02-2016, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
        Maybe it's an age thing? I was 18 and working when things like Super Castlevania IV and Sparkster were out. They were very much on my radar at the time and in mags like Super Play, Konami and Capcom were constantly bandied about as the publishers to be excited about.

I think both Sega and Nintendo are really solid choices, possible because in the case of Ninty it's easier to narrow their games down to a single console. Sega had a lot of pap though (the Golden Axe sequels for a start) so for all their great work there's just as much stuff that's poor. That's why I think that Konami and Treasure might be better choices. Only might mind, I don't think we're going to get a definitive answer!

That could be it. I was born in 1984 so was 6 when the 90's came around.

During the 16bit era, I was interested in racers, platforms and RPG's. Shooters never really appealed and the stuff Konami put out did not grab me so I tended to mainline to the big releases of the time. It was only when I got older, got a part time job and discovered Edge, that I was exposed to what else was out there, especially the Japanese developers and the early UK scene.

Although it's all subjective and you rightfully point out Sega put out a lot of dross too, Sega & Nintendo encapsulate the 16bit era for me that almost all other games at the time were non-existent. So split vote, Sega & Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          EA is a good choice, but a lot of their SNES ports seemed really ropey next to the Mega Drive ones. Did they do the porting themselves, or were they given out to third parties to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
            EA is a good choice,
            Yeah, it's worth bearing in mind that despite some of the decisions they've made over the years, EA and Activision were both pretty well-liked in the 16-bit era. EA's sports games in particular were amazing.

It's sad, really, thinking about Activision in the 16-bit era. They were formed from a rebellious group of people who left Atari in the 8-bit era, believing Atari weren't treating their developers and customers well enough. They went into the 16-bit era wanting to change that, then years later they'd charge ?20 above standard game RRP for a CoD title purely because people would pay it.

Comment

EA clearly didn't try with their SNES ports. Nothing they put on it should have taxed the machine. I'd suggest the cart price row they were in with Nintendo dictated that.
              Last edited by nakamura; 08-02-2016, 15:18.

Comment

im sure we interviewed trip and he said they purposely made snes games worse. will try and find the quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Eh? Capcom easily matched Konami in the 16-bit era.

EA's SNES output was largely rubbish.

Nintendo, Konami, Capcom and Sega would/should be the four standout devs of the 16-bit era.

Comment

Treasure are a good shout imo, some excellent work at Konami before the break away (Contra 3, Castlevania IV) and more afterwards. Konami's SNES output was still ace even after the departure. No need to mention Nintendo here, that's a given. Except perhaps the Super Scope releases heh. And Lucasarts. I was hoping we'd get a non-console developer in there!

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    I'd argue that they weren't all that during the early 90s. People will obviously argue the FF games before VII but were they really that popular outside of Japan back then? I feel like they weren't and FFVII obviously kick-started things properly.
                    In the US, yes, and anyone reading Super Play here in the UK
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Maybe we're going about this the wrong way? Perhaps we need to think in terms of if you were able to click your fingers and instantly remove a developer from history - which one would affect the 16-bit era most?

We'd probably be back to Sega or Ninty. Personally I feel Sega, because of both their own games, and because they forced Nintendo to really bring their A-game.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I think this is a Euro-centric view; they were big in the USA in the SNES era.
                        Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        In the US, yes, and anyone reading Super Play here in the UK
                        Really?

Again, I would argue that their US popularity only came about precisely because of what they did during the SNES's last few years (Chrono Trigger & Super Mario RPG) and their impact on the PS1's early years. There really isn't anything from earlier in the 90s to suggest otherwise.

It's arguably bordering on revisionist gaming hipster at this point to suggest that western audiences cared about Final Fantasies 1-6. They didn't care back then and if they do now, that is clearly testament to how iconic FFVII is.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-02-2016, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Really?

Again, I would argue that their US popularity only came about precisely because of what they did during the SNES's last few years (Chrono Trigger & Super Mario RPG) and their impact on the PS1's early years. There really isn't anything from earlier in the 90s to suggest otherwise. It's arguably bordering on revisionist gaming hipster at this point to suggest that western audiences cared about Final Fantasies 1-6.
                          I'm not sure, as my gut feeling is the same as yours, honestly. All I know is that I've met plenty of American gamers over the years who rant and rave about Final Fantasy "3" and Secret of Mana.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            I'm not sure, as my gut feeling is the same as yours, honestly. All I know is that I've met plenty of American gamers over the years who rant and rave about Final Fantasy "3" and Secret of Mana.
                            I'll give you Secret of Mana (forgot about that - honestly don't know why), but I'm not having any FF game pre-VII.

I feel like the mainstream pretend now that they always cared about the FF games before VII. I'm sure that wasn't the case back then.

Comment

I'm basing this on the American games playing friends and collectors I know, who were for the most part big into Nintendo and NES/SNES back in the day. FF1 gathered a huge following on the NES eventually in the US, well prior to the PS1 era.

Besides, I got FF2 (4) and FF3 (6) and Chrono Trigger eventually for the SNES purely based on Super Play! So that's why I said it, there was at least one person influenced by SP's coverage of RPGs and Japanese stuff.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Chrono Trigger batters any of the first six Final Fantasies.

There. I said it.

Comment

Working...
                                X