No announcement yet.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite how stomach churning and disturbing these hyper-realistic CG animals are, I confidently predict that whatever prosthesis they slap on Jim Carrey's boatrace will be a thousand times more savage and terrifying. It's going to be a Lynchian Grinchian nightmare.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Sonic has now been fully revealed

Comment

It doesn't feel real. Look at the fur - it's like it is made from a single brush in Photoshop. This is not what a professional studio would render. It feels like a bad fan mockup and, had it been a single image, I would be declaring this a fake very quickly. The fact that there are so many images and taking the source into account, it seems it has to be real. BUT I would still stand by my assessment of the image so I have a suspicion that these are very early placeholder mockup images only for the purposes of using in an early licensing style guide (this happens a lot and the public is not meant to see them for exactly this reason) and there is a good chance that the real thing will look better.

But then it does match generally what we've seen so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            It doesn't feel real. Look at the fur - it's like it is made from a single brush in Photoshop. This is not what a professional studio would render. It feels like a bad fan mockup and, had it been a single image, I would be declaring this a fake very quickly. The fact that there are so many images and taking the source into account, it seems it has to be real. BUT I would still stand by my assessment of the image so I have a suspicion that these are very early placeholder mockup images only for the purposes of using in an early licensing style guide (this happens a lot and the public is not meant to see them for exactly this reason) and there is a good chance that the real thing will look better.

But then it does match generally what we've seen so far.
            I disagree, here. You and I have both worked in the graphic arts (I think?) so we've each had different experiences - but in my experience, placeholder stuff is usually very placeholder. Even more than this. I would be a super-basic sketch, designed to take up the space/silhouette, but that's pretty much it. It's usually intentionally basic so as to make sure that, if shown to someone, they immediately know it's a placeholder.

If that was the intention with this one, then that's failed

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I disagree, here. You and I have both worked in the graphic arts (I think?) so we've each had different experiences - but in my experience, placeholder stuff is usually very placeholder.
              You're right. This would usually be the case. I have seen in between stages in style guides though where early development images get dropped in. They look like decent images but are still a long way off final designs. I have even seen it that these don't ever get changed because the focus is more about the branding elements around them. But you're right - usually placeholder images will be very obvious.

Comment

whats the actual ****?? I knew it would be bad but Jesus.

Comment

I kinda can't wait to see the finished version in the cinema.

Comment

Gather all the fire we have and burn it, burn it from existence!!!!!!

Comment

Note to self: Hedgehogs are furry.

Comment

I'm sure it's been read already but Yuji Naka, the creator of sonic, isn't a fan of the design.
                        He said: “I feel like, with this Sonic here, visually, the important thing to look at is the head and body ratio and the roundness of the abdomen. I wonder if they couldn’t have balanced them a little bit better...These images of Sonic aren’t coming officially from the movie-making source; I think it’s possible they’re being strategically leaked, though getting people talking about it ‘because it’s bad’ can’t be good for Sonic’s existing IP.”

He continued, “Well, there’s also the possibility that this is fan-made, though even so, I’d still prefer it if they’d put some gloves on him. Seeing him bare-handed is quite a shock.”

Comment

It's probably even worse than I expected:

Comment

It's staggering just how much time has passed since the Mario Bros film and yet a studio can still deliver such a massive misreading of a property as this. My mind can barely cope with how bad on every single level that looks.

Comment

I was watching it feeling really bad for the people who worked on it. Sonic isn't even the worst part. Can't believe I almost fell for it and was beginning to come around to watching The Truman Show. Every scene in this with Carrey makes me want to tear my own face off.

Comment

It's incomprehensibly bad. Every aspect. I can't wait to see the crushing reviews this gets, they'll be more entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X