Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STREET FIGHTER II - 25 YEARS! (Anniversary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    What stuff?

I get that you might think Alpha, with its varied bars, gameplay styles and huge roster (by 3) may have been off-putting, but specifically what are you talking about?
    Parrying was one of the things, the new roster, the whole Xism thing never really clicked and seemed contrived, the graphics and general feel of the game. I suppose I enjoyed all the II variations and this later stuff just didn't hit that sweet spot for me, no matter how many times I tried to get back into it as I suppose you don't have that frenetic fanaticism of youth twice in a row do you?

SSF2X was the golden age apex point as Nu Eclipse said, nothing has came anywhere near that as its just perfect in all areas. Also just looked up that glitch in the GBA version, wow - how the heck did they let that slide? I've only played the Jap version which I thought looked and played really well on the Micro as it responded so crisply.

Comment

I found that the series got better and better with every single release all the way through to 3rd Strike, the only dip being Alpha/Zero 1.

The parrying is such a wonderful system of risk and reward. I'm glad Platinum adopt it for all of their games. Those rare moments where you randomly read your opponent and pull off a sequence of lows and highs... It's the closest you're ever going to get to realising that you're either telepathic or The One.

I actually think the parry is the single greatest gaming mechanic ever contrived, and by quite some margin.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        I actually think the parry is the single greatest gaming mechanic ever contrived, and by quite some margin.
        I thought it was one of the best elements of Soul Calibur. It's a shame that the sequels ballsed it up.

Comment

Zero 1 is the last SF game I truly loved. My absolute favourite of that series.

Comment

Zero 1 is clearly unfinished. Zero 2 Alpha on the other hand is second only to SSF2X. Hyper Fighting being third.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              Zero 1 is clearly unfinished. Zero 2 Alpha on the other hand is second only to SSF2X. Hyper Fighting being third.
              Nope.

Each Zero game improved on the last one. The best game in the Zero trilogy is clearly Zero 3 - it is by far the most complete.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                Zero 1 is the last SF game I truly loved. My absolute favourite of that series.
                Zero 1 was my favourite of the trilogy too, but the sequels improved on it massively. Also, chain combos were quite clearly a broken and unbalanced game mechanic.

Comment

Family holidays on the Isle of Wight. Always the same holiday camp place. Didn't matter though as it meant two things:

SFII and Final Fight cabs right next to each other!!

Remember the first time I played SFII was with my Dad. I was Guile and he was Blanka. He beat me but it was so much fun.

Then when I got my SNES with SFII as an Xmas present we played it for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Nope.

Each Zero game improved on the last one. The best game in the Zero trilogy is clearly Zero 3 - it is by far the most complete.
                    Zero 3 is pathetic.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Zero 3 is turgid.

Comment

Anything that isn't Third Strike is tu-

Just kidding, SFII is pretty much consistently great. I've got Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Super Street Fighter 2 on Super Famicom and each of them plays differently and in a sort of different satisfying way.

I dunno about Zero, never been a big fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Zero 1 was my favourite of the trilogy too, but the sequels improved on it massively. Also, chain combos were quite clearly a broken and unbalanced game mechanic.
                          I really liked the chain combo mechanic. Plus the audio of the home port was so good. Zero 2 lost both of those and Zero 3 whilst better, annoyed me with the overall presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                            Zero 3 is turgid.
                            Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            Zero 3 is pathetic.
                            Both wrong.

Zero 3 is by far the most complete and balanced game in the trilogy. It has a myriad of options and ways to fight that the other two can only dream of and I say that as a fan of the first game.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              I really liked the chain combo mechanic. Plus the audio of the home port was so good. Zero 2 lost both of those and Zero 3 whilst better, annoyed me with the overall presentation.
                              A lot of people liked the chain combo mechanic of Zero 1 but it was clearly broken (plenty of examples on YouTube and the like to underline this), hence why it was largely removed and replaced with the custom combo mechanic in Zero 2 (V-ism in Zero 3) although Guy and Gen retained their chain combos.

On balance, Zero 3 is the definitive game in the trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                                Anything that isn't Third Strike is tu-

Just kidding, SFII is pretty much consistently great. I've got Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Super Street Fighter 2 on Super Famicom and each of them plays differently and in a sort of different satisfying way.
                                Got fantastic childhood memories of the SNES/SFC ports of SF2 and SF2 Turbo. Sank so many hours into both.

For some reason though, I was never really enamoured with Super SF2 on the SNES/SFC, or the MD for that matter. Definitely played Super SF2 (and SSF2X) more in the arcades.

Comment

Working...
                                X