Retro PC Games Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a good site also, nicely laid out etc:

Database of 26200 abandonware games free. One of the most complete video games museum. Take a trip down Memory Lane now! Warning: whole weekends can be lost.

If people dont want to faff with DOSBox for Dune, the Mega CD version is probably easier to emulate.

Comment

Some other PC classics favs of mine

MOH: Allied Assault
      Gabriel Knight; The Best within
      Bladrunner
      GTR 2
      Star Trek: The Next Generation
      Star Trek: Klingon
      Ripper
      The 11th Hour

Comment

If we are talking 90's these would be my recommendations

X-Wing
        Tie-Fighter

proper Star Wars games, played these massively, with the sound up and the lights low it really is pure escapism

from the early/mid 90's you can't go wrong with anything by Bullfrog.. Magic Carpet blew me away back when I first saw it, it's still interesting..

The original Syndicate, still looks really good and is great to play especially in multiplayer if you can manage it.. Dungeon Keeper is pretty special too..

I have a massive soft spot for the Origin games, especially Privateer.. 1&2. I have never been able to get Privateer 2 to work properly on a modern PC though even with emulators.. It's got Clive Owen and John Hurt in it!!

Comment

I see a lot of classics have already been mentioned but I'll do a few of mine & back in the day I loved the FMV adventures & space games so a lot of what I'll recommend are those but these were all awesome to me...

Ripper
          Phantasmagoria 1 & 2
          Police Quest 3 & 4
          Police Quest SWAT
          7th Guest
          Starlancer
          Tachyon: The Fringe
          Freespace 2
          Star Trek: Elite Forces
          Star Trek: DS9 - The Fallen
          Vampire: The Masquerade
          Crusader: No Remorse
          Crusader: No Regret
          Bloodnet
          Carmageddon
          Interstate '76
          Strike Commander
          Unreal Tournament
          Dreamweb

Hopefully there's something there for you

Neil

Comment

Total Annihilation.
            Alpha Centauri.

Comment

Epic Pinball is probably my favourite pinball game of all time and I only play the Super Android board. I always go back to it for a quick bash and again, I love the music.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Some of my old PC games that I got as still at are. .

BLOOD I I
              Kingping
              Draclua Unleashed
              X Wing Vs Tie Fighter
              Dark Forces 2
              Geoff F1 GP 4
              Black & white
              Hexxen 2
              I still haven't played Dark Forces 2 and I loved the first one. Must get round to that.

Comment

The first 2 Discworld games are really good adventures, British humour and voiced by Eric Idle and Tony Robinson, i think they work on ScummVM now as well. Also Simon the Sorcerer, Chris Barrie does the voice of Simon

Other favourtie point and clicks:
                Lure of the Temptress
                Future Wars
                Big Red Adventure
                Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist
                Last edited by Jamie; 26-02-2016, 08:24.

Comment

One game I'm going to recommend that doesn't come up enough is Star Trek The Next Generation: A Final Unity by Spectrum Holobyte.

Some elements of it might be a bit ropey today, but if you're a fan of TNG, you really need to give it a look.

It used a lot of "digitised photo"-style visuals and crucially, was voiced by the entire cast (with an enormous amount of dialogue).

Honestly, as a child I played it for weeks, though I never did quite finish it (there's a particularly fiendish puzzle at one point - all I'll say is HAVE CASCADING SAVE FILES). It really is great fun though, I think as good as anything Lucasarts ever put out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                    I still haven't played Dark Forces 2 and I loved the first one. Must get round to that.
                    You should love it then; Dark Forces was good, but Jedi Knight was much, much better. Overall a superb series for the time.

If you like them, then also play Shadows of the Empire. They share the same design team and have a lot in common.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      If people dont want to faff with DOSBox for Dune, the Mega CD version is probably easier to emulate.
                      The MCD version is okay but the graphics are a bit naff compared to the Amiga and PC versions.

If faffing around with DOSBox is not your thing then I would opt for the Amiga version instead. The music in that version is even better than the PC, although there are only three tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        One game I'm going to recommend that doesn't come up enough is Star Trek The Next Generation: A Final Unity by Spectrum Holobyte.

Some elements of it might be a bit ropey today, but if you're a fan of TNG, you really need to give it a look.
                        I'll check this out. I'm a massive Next Gen fan.

Cheers to everyone for all the recommendations so far.

Comment

A Final Unity is pretty special if you dig TNG.

I remember it was a right pisser to get it running properly via DOSBox on my Mac though - had to run it in a window IIRC as the colours were all ****ed up on the FMV scenes when I had it set to full screen mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            You should love it then; Dark Forces was good, but Jedi Knight was much, much better. Overall a superb series for the time.

If you like them, then also play Shadows of the Empire. They share the same design team and have a lot in common.
                            I only recently found out Shadow of the Empire got a PC release, I'll have to give that another go sometime.

The problem with Dark Forces 2 is it's a bit more difficult to get going on modern systems than the original. I'm almost there with it though.

Comment

I remember a game called 'Little Big Adventure' being really nice back in 1995. It's an isometric adventure game, much like something from the 8-bit era, but with really nice graphics and sound. It was a game I got with my Pentium 100 PC back then - and I did like it, despite not being fond of adventure games.

Comment

Working...
                              X