User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    People do do awful things in the name of religion, but they're not really religious. True religion, no matter it's name or particularities, is always about love and compassion.
    This enables the worst of people who carry stuff out in the name of religion. What you're doing here is applying your own interpretation to religion and claiming it is "true" religion and stating what it is "always" about, like it's an absolute. So others can agree with you that there is such thing as true religion but it's how they interpret it. And the thing is, the extremists tend to follow the letter of the texts much more literally and so can make a very good case that they are following the true religion and they're the ones who are really religious. Pretty much every major religious text has awful rules and suggestions in there and those who carry those things are probably more "religious" by any measure.

Or instead you could dismiss the idea that there is a "true" religion and that you can be spiritual and connected to your beliefs without having to follow the rules of texts several thousand years old that are outdated and dangerous.

The only patriot who matters:

When I say true religion I'm not referring to a particular belief system. I don't believe Buddhism or Hinduism or Christianity is the true religion. Nor do I mean adhering to any particular text, whether it's the Bible or the Dhammapada or Bhagavad Gita. I mean direct experience. That's the only truth. And that's within everyone's grasp. We all have our likes and dislikes and beliefs and hopes and fears but all that stuff is created by conditions. But there's something underneath all that. Something that's unconditional and true and common to everyone. It feels like love to me. Love and compassion.

I don't like talking about religion (hard to believe, I know, given how often I mention it ) because the word has so many connotations but to me it's about acting from a place of what's real. It's not about following anyone, or joining a group, or (and this one may seem hard to believe) believing in something, it's about an experience. And I like Jesus and Buddha and Lao Tzu and similar figures because they pointed the way to that experience.

Ah okay. I'm not religious or spiritual but I agree with you here. I usually take the word religion to mean the systems and structures which, as I get older, I find myself more dead set against but I see you don't mean it that way. I'm with you on love.

We're in massive sidetrack territory here but I need to read up on other religions figures. Like, to me Jesus is just one massive fabrication, a plot device to be used to facilitate other intents, but despite the opposition many religions have to one another they often share a lot of common traits and it'd be interesting to know how far that goes. Not so much from a belief angle, just how humans form different locations can come up with differing belief systems that are built on very similar foundations, the psychology behind that.

A lot of them share roots in old legends that predate the religions by thousands of years, being adapted and integrated. The monomyth, essentially. I saw a good article deconstructing Jesus once that basically made the case that there is no way he could have been real because of how closely every part of his story can be traced back to older stories, like he is a cover version rather than any hint of a real person.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    We're in massive sidetrack territory here but I need to read up on other religions figures. Like, to me Jesus is just one massive fabrication, a plot device to be used to facilitate other intents, but despite the opposition many religions have to one another they often share a lot of common traits and it'd be interesting to know how far that goes. Not so much from a belief angle, just how humans form different locations can come up with differing belief systems that are built on very similar foundations, the psychology behind that.
    Way to offend Christians, dude!

I would suggest reading the gospel of Thomas (not found in the Bible) for a different portrayal of Jesus. He sounds (to me) much more human in that. Much more real. He sounds knowing and uncertain. He sounds enlightened.

That's what you get when they pay for a better writer

It's more a collection of quotes by Jesus than an account of his life so quite different to the canonical gospels.

"Things you can make with a bunch of good hardwood 2x4s"