Nintendo WiiU: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thinkitty View Post
    I still love my Wii U and use it to play Art Academy most weeks. It's also the only system where I can play my favourite Zelda game of all time.

Speaking of Miiverse, I miss it too, particularly the Miiverse Art Academy community. I remember thinking it would be full of childish anime or pixel art - and, yes, there was a lot of that, but there was also a lot of incredible abstract, impressionist and other more sophisticated and mature forms of art, indeed the breadth and depth of talent on display was quite incredible given the platform.

I think Nintendo closed it down because it was free to use but not free to police and so it was losing them money. Pity as it was often a funny place to visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV41A8L1r3U
    That's interesting about Art Academy. I've been thinking of picking that up for years and years. I take it it's worthwhile even though the servers have been shut off now?

Can it be played simply from the gamepad, or do you need to connect it to the TV?

Interested in any thoughts you have about it

Comment

When JR1 gets his WiiU at Xmas I'm quite looking forward to capitalising on it and delving back into the GC/Wii/WiiU pool with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        When JR1 gets his WiiU at Xmas I'm quite looking forward to capitalising on it and delving back into the GC/Wii/WiiU pool with it.
        Merry Christmas! OK now move over, dad wants to play PN03.

Comment

Even better, I've installed Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 and F-Zero AX on it

Comment

Still a little bitter that the NA eShop only have 66 games for WiiU and everything else has been delisted. I went to buy the digital version of Tekken and couldn't
            Need to charge my pad up and get back on Wind Waker.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              WiiU exclusive Zelda? What is it!?
              Wind Waker HD. The improved visuals and additional swift sail elevate it far above the Gamecube version in my opinion. I find sailing a a chore in the original, which, given how much sailing is required, is a real bummer but the swift sail makes sailing a delight.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              That's interesting about Art Academy. I've been thinking of picking that up for years and years. I take it it's worthwhile even though the servers have been shut off now?

Can it be played simply from the gamepad, or do you need to connect it to the TV?

Interested in any thoughts you have about it
              Yes, the servers are shut down so creations cannot be shared on Miiverse.

The game doesn't need to be hooked up to a TV, it can be played solely on the gamepad. I really like the software, it has charcoals and watercolours and various other styles of paints and pencils and it's surprising what can be created once you get an understanding for the tools. I don't know how it compares to more recent art programs available on tablets and computers, but if you have a Wii U and enjoy drawing/painting then it's worth checking out.

Comment

I do have a hankering for Wind Waker after all these years, would be nice to see a Switch port.

Comment

Feels inevitable with the 35th anniversary next year and there almost being no other WiiU games left to port now

Comment

Agreed. It's a surefire seller and still has the 'Wow' factor thanks to the beautiful art style.

Comment

I'd be down for that. It'd be an instant sale from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        It'd be an instant sail from me.
                        Ho ho ho!

Comment

What are we betting; three-game Mario-style collection, next year? Ocarina, Skyward, Wind Waker? And then we can all complain about no Majora just like Mario Galaxy 2

Comment

Ocarina, Majora and Twilight Princess all as roms that need patching later

Comment

Ah yes, I have wind waker on my wiiu. Gorgeous game and more playable that the cube version yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                What are we betting; three-game Mario-style collection, next year? Ocarina, Skyward, Wind Waker? And then we can all complain about no Majora just like Mario Galaxy 2
                                I wouldn't complain. I am not a fan of MM. It just grated on me as soon as I tried to play it.
                                And I've barely touched Skyward Sword.

Comment

Working...
                                X